my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Views on Plasti-Dip flexible liquid coating please?

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:32 pm

Views on Plasti-Dip flexible liquid coating please?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8&feature=related[/youtube]

Anybody seen this stuff it looks pretty cool and definitely a good alternative to flood coat wrapping.

What are your thoughts on it as this could be a good business opportunity just to supply and fit this by itself. Its a big trend in the USA at the moment

regards

lee

Moderator Edited to conform with Board Rules
<<

Post Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:48 pm

i think the whole concept is very good for short term personalising of a vehicle.
boy racers will love it... but long term i have my doubts.

vehicle wrapping also has its downsides but most of that is down to the skill of the person doing the install.
i guess you could way up the pros and cons of both if you have both at hand to test. but personal opinion from watching is that a vinyl wrap is much more durable and the colour finish more consistent. "Gloss in particular"

your ability to spray properly will come into play, just like your ability to wrap.
watch the guy in the film doing it, or watch someone wrap a car, looks real easy. but reality is its not and experience is everything.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:59 pm

true

your comments are very tru but you can get a glossifier plastidip and defo a target for the short term boy racer...cheesr for the input
<<

Post Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:11 pm

yeh i watched a series of the videos some months back, the glosifier wasnt great on a full car and i think from memory the guys doing the test werent booming about the finish just that it was much glossier than the matt.
dont get me wrong, i still love the concept of this product and i bet has a million and one applications for it out side the auto industry, im really just playing devils advocate on this one with regards to plasti-dip and vehicle wraps.
<<

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:04 pm

I've had a really good experience with Plasti Dip - I sprayed my wheels 3 months ago in Black (really good matte finish and very easy to get a smooth coat straight from the tin), and they have stayed on perfectly with no signs of wear or peel or discolouring. They have survived car washes and as long as you keep them clean with water (no pressure washers, this is dangerous), then they will give you no trouble.

Obviously not as permanent as paint, but looks just as good, with the added benefit of removing (peels off with ease). Depending on wheel type, it is far better than vinyl wrapping.

Try it, buy a tin or two, spend an afternoon tinkering with it - you will be surprised I'm sure!
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:47 am

i saw the vid with the new trigger they were testing, have you used it james ?

it looks a good product for wheel flash as a novelty thing, could be useful as a quick fix with a wrap and a wheel colour change, maybe.
<<

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:55 am

Bernard McMahon wrote:it looks a good product for wheel flash as a novelty thing, could be useful as a quick fix with a wrap and a wheel colour change, maybe.

exactly Bernard. novelty thing as i see it too...
as you say James, keep away from a jetwash mate? can you imagine just doing a car in this and the first time the customer pressure washes it they rip the coat of the door? the customer would freak!

stone chips even paint... as will vinyl. but chip this stuff and you have just given a pressure washer or car wash a leading edge to tear away a full section panel/door etc.

i have watched lots of these videos, getting the right even coat all over large areas isnt easy. it looks it and sold it as it does, but same applies with vehicle wraps.
if vehicle wraps were as easy as youtube makes out there wouldnt be a line of business in it.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:49 am

Having watched the video and not being familiar with this product my immediate thoughts were:

You would have to be quite proficient with a spray gun to get a good finish
How much of the product is going to be needed to complete a car if he has used 4 or 5 coats?
Surely if you are going to go to that extent then surely it would be better painted professionally?

As already mentioned, stone chips and pressure washers would cause some serious issues...and could you rematch a panel if some were damaged?

Also, surely if you were to do this it should be done in a clean dust free environment...not outside your garage....':o'

I am sure it will have uses elsewhere..... :o
<<

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 am

Stephen Ingham wrote:You would have to be quite proficient with a spray gun to get a good finish
How much of the product is going to be needed to complete a car if he has used 4 or 5 coats?
Surely if you are going to go to that extent then surely it would be better painted professionally?

exactly stephen, i can spray very well. we also have a professional spray booth setup. but i would never try painting a car, i am simply not good enough.

as you have pointed out, the guy says you need many layers built-up to create a finish that "can be removed" if its too thin it takes for ever in little bits to remove.
so you need to build it up to a full skin so that it can removed.

as also mentioned the coat has to be even, just like when you spray paint or you get different shades. then there is panel repairs, how well will they match?
ALL THIS and you then have to tell your customer "dont use a pressure washer or it might blow off" sorry, but as much as its an impressive concept, i think its aimed purely at the boy racer to tart up his wheels and other car parts "short term"
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Maybe I could shed some light being an Installer of this product:

Pro's:

It is cheap

The supplies are cheap - spray guns etc

No spraying experience is needed

Average needed is 5L of colour, 5L of thinners = around £180

You can customize colours to paint codes

You can get glow in the dark

Con's:

People think it is going to be as good as vinyl

It is not as durable as vinyl in no way shape or form

The gloss finish is not a gloss, more of a satin/slight shine

The gloss can peel with the touch of a microfiber

The car needs around 7-10 coats depending on colour (dark to light, light to dark)

There is no specific cleaning products available

The excess from peeling around windows is a nightmare

The spray can go everywhere (in vents, on exhausts, inside wings, under windows)

I hope this helps, don't get me wrong, it's great for grilles etc, but personally, out of 15 cars I have done, a good few have came back to me, not down to workmanship.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:
Stephen Ingham wrote:You would have to be quite proficient with a spray gun to get a good finish

exactly stephen, i can spray very well. we also have a professional spray booth setup. but i would never try painting a car, i am simply not good enough.

as you have pointed out, the guy says you need many layers built-up to create a finish that "can be removed" if its too thin it takes for ever in little bits to remove.
so you need to build it up to a full skin so that it can removed.

as also mentioned the coat has to be even, just like when you spray paint or you get different shades. then there is panel repairs, how well will they match?
ALL THIS and you then have to tell your customer "dont use a pressure washer or it might blow off" sorry, but as much as its an impressive concept, i think its aimed purely at the boy racer to tart up his wheels and other car parts "short term"

It is possible to use pressure washers, we recommend it, our vehicles get taken to car washes all the time and no problems at all, just make sure no one uses wax coatings on a matte car, as you would also say with vinyl.
<<

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Kieran wrote:Maybe I could shed some light being an Installer of this product:

Pro's:

It is cheap

The supplies are cheap - spray guns etc

No spraying experience is needed

Average needed is 5L of colour, 5L of thinners = around £180

You can customize colours to paint codes

You can get glow in the dark

Con's:

People think it is going to be as good as vinyl

It is not as durable as vinyl in no way shape or form

The gloss finish is not a gloss, more of a satin/slight shine

The gloss can peel with the touch of a microfiber

The car needs around 7-10 coats depending on colour (dark to light, light to dark)

There is no specific cleaning products available

The excess from peeling around windows is a nightmare

The spray can go everywhere (in vents, on exhausts, inside wings, under windows)

I hope this helps, don't get me wrong, it's great for grilles etc, but personally, out of 15 cars I have done, a good few have came back to me, not down to workmanship.

Thank you very much for clearing that up Keiran, much appreciated mate.
we spoke with a company recently about vehicle wrapping. they said, "vehicle wrapping is dead, plasti-dip killed it" :roll: talk about a naive comment from a so called professional. :D
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:41 pm

No problems!

It has its uses, it is a nice alternarive if done well.

It is cheaper. But this reflects in the quality!

Do not be fooled by people saying it is better!
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:47 pm

For all the Pro's I would rather supply someone with sellotape and a set of crayons.......

Nigel
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:59 am

Not sure I agree with the Pro's as you have listed them Kieran. You say it is cheap but your lalking about £ 180 for product, on top of that you need to clean the vehicle properly so there is an expense involved with that so maybe £200 per vehicle, number of coats required means that it is reasonably time consuming so what's the punter paying for a complete car?
Next thing is warranty, do you give your customer any sort of warranty at all ? There isn't really anyway of knowing how long it is going to last & as you have already said it is no where near as durable as vinyl so what does the customer get for his money??
Colour matching isn't a straight forward job & I would imagine you need quite expensive equipment to colour match to a paint code.
Not sure why anyone would want a glow in the dark car unless they have trouble remembering where they parked lol, don't think it would be great anyway.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Martin wrote:Not sure I agree with the Pro's as you have listed them Kieran. You say it is cheap but your lalking about £ 180 for product, on top of that you need to clean the vehicle properly so there is an expense involved with that so maybe £200 per vehicle, number of coats required means that it is reasonably time consuming so what's the punter paying for a complete car?
Next thing is warranty, do you give your customer any sort of warranty at all ? There isn't really anyway of knowing how long it is going to last & as you have already said it is no where near as durable as vinyl so what does the customer get for his money??
Colour matching isn't a straight forward job & I would imagine you need quite expensive equipment to colour match to a paint code.
Not sure why anyone would want a glow in the dark car unless they have trouble remembering where they parked lol, don't think it would be great anyway.

What is there not to agree with Martin?

I do not have any idea what you clean a car with, but with plastidip, all you need to do is de-tar and wash. No polish or wax or clay. As this prevents the dip from sticking.

Warranty = 12 months wear and tear

Price of a standard car (astra size) to be dipped = £550

No expensive equipment = manufacturer makes the paint at no extra cost

It is not the idea of glow in the dark car - more accessories - IC pipes etc

It has it's benefits, I have listed what I have learned over 12 months, you are obviously welcome to your own opinions, but a lot of people who have never worked with the product seem to have very biased opinions, as stated, it is a cheaper alternative.

Cheers
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:55 pm

Nigel Pugh wrote:For all the Pro's I would rather supply someone with sellotape and a set of crayons.......

Nigel

This is my problem, it is hardly worth it, don't get me wrong, I've made my money, and will continue to offer it as a service for grilles etc, but full cars it has too many issues with it.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Kieran, I personally don't think it is that cheap, one of the reasons for saying that is that some of the people spraying cars offer no sort of warranty what so ever basically because they have no come back themselves with the manufacturer as they don't recommend using the product for this sort of job.
It would be very difficult to match paint codes, yes you can mix the colours to produce different colours & shades but matching a colour even one you had mixed & used for a job in the past I don't think would be easy.
I don't see the glow in the dark as being a pro for the product, it doesn't work that well from what I have seen especially compared with some of the photo luminescent vinyls.

I'm not biased against it at all even though it might sound like I am & I have no problem with people offering it as a service, people have the right to spend their money how they want & if this is what they want then that's their decision.
I wish you all the best with it.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:10 pm

I think the only real use is for a bank Robbery as I have first had testimonials of people that have wanted me to remove and make vinyl as it's bubbles, chips and peel back with a week literally!!! I would never touch this stuff no way.

Return to Vehicle Wrapping