Number plates

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:52 am

Number plates

Hi,
Can anyone give me some hints and tips on how to make number plates
with my versacamm?
I have a rough idea.... Perhaps mirror print onto clear vinyl, apply this to the perspex and then apply replective material to this. the only problem is that my reflective material is not the same colour right through and the adhesive would be on the wrong side.
Perhaps I am not making much sense.
Does anyone make number plates with the versacamm.
Any help would be great.

Regards
Clive
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:06 pm

Clive I am using a Gerber Edge to produce plates which is basically the same. I am still experimenting with different ways so I can achieve decent quality and at the end of the day make a profit. We have tried printng onto reflective and then laminating onto sticky plates but it was working out to expensive and result wasn't always great. We have now moved to printing onto clear not reverse, then laminating this to a sticky plate. The dry reflective is then rolled onto the adhesive of the vinyl and so far this this is giving us a good result. Coloured shadows etc may need a primer coat especially on the yellow rear as the reflective colour distorts colours.
The quality of the plates I was getting were poor so just last week I got some plates from Paul at Automarque who advertises on this site and they are much clearer and a better finish so I would speak to him about supplies.
I would be interested in other peoples views on exhibition plate making and what price range people charge for them. Recently I felt that with so many rejects I wasn't making a profit making them.
Hope this helps.
Ian Rankin
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:15 am

Ian,
Thanks for your advice. I didn't know they sold plates with sticky backs. I will have to do a little more research into the whole thing.

Clive

Return to General Printing Topics