my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Gray printing purple, advice needed please?

<<

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:31 am

Gray printing purple, advice needed please?

has anyone had a issue when printing gray. import images from corel to rip , tried both cmyk & rgb but the gray keeps printing purple
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:39 am

Re: gray printing purple

This is common problem and I had it personally since 2008 and didn't do anything about it until recently.
I've been asking my self the same question for years and have been postponing the problem for years. Something similar to reading a manual when we buy a new SLR camera. Never enough time to read the manual.
After having my printer for 3 years last month I got a high profile job with a lot of proofing involved for a very famous client.
The colors that my printer was printing where not good.
A lot of magenta was going into my printing (apparently)
I run a Mutoh 1624 with a SAI rip.
I reserved few hours with friend who know about mixing colors and we did a lot of tests. I cannot do this, but when my friend sees a print, he knows what color is extra / or dominating in the print.
After 3 years my printing has improved quite a lot and it felt really good.
We did spend good 4-5 hours and 10m of vinyl writing down what we are doing. It was all worth it at the end.
Last night we did some black printing for couple of hours.
Inside the menu of SAI we played with the channels (50% less magenta, etc) and got a quite a good black. At least a better black then I was printing before. So it was worth it.
So in my opinion, there is no quick fix on this.
A lot of tests. And be aware that you might get your grey spot on - but your other colors can change!
Just my two pence on this subject. Will be nice to hear what others say.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:36 am

Agreed with Pane - the simplest solution is to set up a new profile which uses a lower percentage of magenta to compensate. But be aware that other colours are also affected by this reduction and there is not one profile that works well in all circumstances. I have a profile that I use when printing predominately blue and grey colours - but revert back to a standard profile when printing predominately red colours.

The problem first became apparent to me a number of years ago - at the time changing to a different ink set solved the issue so I blamed the ink. However, more recently it seems to be the case with all inks so I am tending to believe that legislation may have caused the ink manufacturers to alter their formulations which is why the older profiles used for many years are no longer accurate?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:15 am

can you not just make a grey whic uses no magenta, or does that not work?
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: Gray printing purple, advice needed please?

Not familiar with Corel but it may have similar features to illustrator like edit colours, convert to grayscale, this gives a much better grey as it strips all colour from your image.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Re: Gray printing purple, advice needed please?

Suppose it depends how your Corel is set-up and which version but we use Corel with versaworks and Roland vs540 on CMYK. No issue with greys. Could it be the rip or the monitor settings making it look grey on screen but it’s actually not?

Return to Roland Printers