my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

<<

Myles Brewer

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 472

Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:46 am

Country: Ireland (ie)




Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:16 pm

HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

Hi All,
I'm wondering if anyone out there may be able to shed some light on an issue I have repeatedly had since I got my printer some two & a half years or so back.
Every couple of months one of either the light cyan or light magenta printheads suddenly, & totally stops working, usually part way through a print. No amount of head cleans have any effect either via the printer or manually.

HP have been very decent so far & replaced them all as faulty, but I'm sure they shouldn't just stop working like that?? They are often pretty new, in fact the latest one has just done it with only 149ml through it!!

It seems to be far more common with the light cyan in slots 1 & 2 than the light magenta in 5 & 6.
Always gives Error Code 98:03 which is just printhead malfunction.
As soon as the head is replaced print quality is perfect again.

I would possibly say it usually happens after a fairly long print session or maybe after solid colour printing but couldn't be 100% sure about that.

I pretty much always print using colour bands down one side to ensure all heads are firing constantly so they are all getting regular use.

I'd really be interested to know if anyone else has had similar problems.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Posts: 46

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:47 pm

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:24 pm

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

I’m having the same issue with my 26500! I’m putting it down to a heat issue! I have to keep swapping between 2 lc/c printheads. Always on slot 2!
<<

1 Star Contributor

Posts: 46

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:47 pm

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

I have read somewhere the 26500 runs at a higher heat than the newer models and it helps to remove some covers around the heads and use a computer fan to keep them cooler! I’m going to try this mod soon
<<

Myles Brewer

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 472

Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:46 am

Country: Ireland (ie)




Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:38 pm

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

Mark Piddington wrote:I have read somewhere the 26500 runs at a higher heat than the newer models and it helps to remove some covers around the heads and use a computer fan to keep them cooler! I’m going to try this mod soon

Hi Mark, But the heat wouldn't account for why it's ALWAYS only the light ink that has the problem!
Not sure if yours is the same but with mine the light ink 100% disappears on the printhead test plot! One minute it's 100% perfect firing on all nozzles & then 100% stops, like a total blockage. Fit a new head & it's perfect again.

I did wonder originally when it had done it a couple of times if it could be old ink, but quickly ruled that out.

I would think if heat was the issue it would be affecting all heads & all colours not just the light inks & even then I would think it would be a gradual degrading of print quality & not an instant total failure.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Posts: 46

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:47 pm

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:12 pm

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

Mine is exactly the same issue! It was printing fine until I did a run of 7 drops of wallpaper and none of them matched in colour. After adding colour bars I discovered it kept losing head 2 halfway through a run. Normally after it’s been printing for a while. I tried a new head and it still had the issue after printing for a while, dropped the old printhead in and away it went again! It’s frustrating as I can’t guarantee it will print a long run without the head having an error! I tried a firmware update etc etc and the only thing I can put it down to is the heat! I’m considering changing the printer just because I need it to be reliable
<<

Luke Culpin

User avatar

2 Star Contributor

Posts: 186

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:05 pm





Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:15 pm

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

I used to have the exact same issue with the cyan! Was some time ago now, I can’t remember if we did a firmware update or not now. Other than firmware, I know we never actually did anything else to combat the problem, it just eventually went away!
<<

Myles Brewer

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 472

Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:46 am

Country: Ireland (ie)




Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:00 am

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

Thanks lads, at least I know now it's not just me or my printer!! I'm wondering if HP knows more about it than they are letting on with the fact they seem to be happily replacing them?? It's just very frustrating as you say Mark it's hard to rely on it printing a run consistently.
I must admit I haven't re-tried them after they fail, so that's interesting to know that they "reset" themselves after being removed for a while! I wonder if there might be some sort of airlock created in them that is gradually released over time??? Anyone technical out there that may be able to add to this?
<<

Peter Munday

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 738

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:25 pm





Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

From what I remember there was a problem with slot 1&2 that kept on asking for the printheads to be replaced but this was resolved with a firmware update, it worked for me.

Peter
<<

Kevin Busby

User avatar

4 Star Contributor

Posts: 360

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

Hi Guys

This was discussed in depth some months back or maybe a year or two lol, I had exactly the same problem with heads going out faulty all the time from the 5 and 6 slots.

Its quite simply down to head strikes, when something jams the carriage is the first thing to hit the media and the heads take the punishment not always straight away does it show, Ive had brand new heads go out with only a little ink used. This is why the new 3 series latex have head protectors so if it jams the media hits the plastic bumper rather than the head carriage.

Luckily mine was under warranty and Art Systems replaced every part of the carriage in the end but I sold it soon after so could not be sure if this resolved it or not.
<<

Myles Brewer

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 472

Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:46 am

Country: Ireland (ie)




Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

Peter Munday wrote:From what I remember there was a problem with slot 1&2 that kept on asking for the printheads to be replaced but this was resolved with a firmware update, it worked for me.

Peter
Thanks Peter, but as far as I'm aware I think I have the latest firmware update & not sure if hp are likely to be issuing further updates due to the age of the printer now?
<<

Myles Brewer

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 472

Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:46 am

Country: Ireland (ie)




Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:54 pm

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

Kevin Busby wrote:Hi Guys

This was discussed in depth some months back or maybe a year or two lol, I had exactly the same problem with heads going out faulty all the time from the 5 and 6 slots.

Its quite simply down to head strikes, when something jams the carriage is the first thing to hit the media and the heads take the punishment not always straight away does it show, Ive had brand new heads go out with only a little ink used. This is why the new 3 series latex have head protectors so if it jams the media hits the plastic bumper rather than the head carriage.

Luckily mine was under warranty and Art Systems replaced every part of the carriage in the end but I sold it soon after so could not be sure if this resolved it or not.
Hi Kevin, I understand what you're getting at & yes the head carriage would be stopped by a media jam & I have had 3 or 4 since I had the printer but I've definitely gad more heads go faulty then head crashes, I.e. Heads that have never seen physical damage but still go faulty.
Also how could that account for the fault being 100% exclusively on the light ink side of the heads & it being a 100% instant & complete failure of all nozzles in that light ink side??
You said your issues were mainly in slot 5 & 6 which are the furthest from any head strike, unless the head strike is on the back stroke which I've never encountered yet.
<<

Kevin Busby

User avatar

4 Star Contributor

Posts: 360

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:39 pm

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

Hi Myles

I'm sorry was replying in a bit of a rush yesterday so made a few errors in my statement.

Firstly its slot 1 & 2 the light colours and secondly the fault is in the slots not the head, Ive put brand new heads in and had the same fault and others that have gone on for ages. If you get a fault with one head swap it to the other slot, its normally slot 1 that has the most issues and i've managed to swap them and get them going again.

Just remember when the fault occurs before swapping take a log from the printer server that is required when getting any warranty parts replaced that way it wont be confusing when you swap them and want to claim as the log will show the serial number is still running.

I'm pretty sure by the time I got rid of my 26500 I had everything in the carriage changed under warranty and the problem was either gone of so occasional it was not an issue. Luckily I had the extended warranty so it was not an issue.

To give you some idea for the future I had the 26500 2 and a half years and whilst I don't do a massive amount of printing I went through something like 15 heads mostly the light, the yellow and black lasted so long I actually changed them in the end out of concern rather than them having printing issues. Now to measure that against the newer version which for me is the 310 which has the bumper and other ways of stopping the head strike, Ive just had it 3 years and 1 month and touch wood never changed a head!!!. The last time I had an engineer up he doubted me so much he checked the logs then did a head check print to show me how badly they were printing, only to eat his words when he couldn't find any reason for changing them.
<<

Myles Brewer

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 472

Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:46 am

Country: Ireland (ie)




Post Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:46 pm

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

Kevin Busby wrote:Hi Myles

I'm sorry was replying in a bit of a rush yesterday so made a few errors in my statement.

Firstly its slot 1 & 2 the light colours and secondly the fault is in the slots not the head, Ive put brand new heads in and had the same fault and others that have gone on for ages. If you get a fault with one head swap it to the other slot, its normally slot 1 that has the most issues and i've managed to swap them and get them going again.

Just remember when the fault occurs before swapping take a log from the printer server that is required when getting any warranty parts replaced that way it wont be confusing when you swap them and want to claim as the log will show the serial number is still running.

I'm pretty sure by the time I got rid of my 26500 I had everything in the carriage changed under warranty and the problem was either gone of so occasional it was not an issue. Luckily I had the extended warranty so it was not an issue.

To give you some idea for the future I had the 26500 2 and a half years and whilst I don't do a massive amount of printing I went through something like 15 heads mostly the light, the yellow and black lasted so long I actually changed them in the end out of concern rather than them having printing issues. Now to measure that against the newer version which for me is the 310 which has the bumper and other ways of stopping the head strike, Ive just had it 3 years and 1 month and touch wood never changed a head!!!. The last time I had an engineer up he doubted me so much he checked the logs then did a head check print to show me how badly they were printing, only to eat his words when he couldn't find any reason for changing them.
Hi Kevin, thanks for the update & that's sounding far more like it . As you say mostly slots 1 & 2. I've just checked back & since Oct 2017 I've had 8 in total. 3 light magenta in slots 5&6 & 5 light cyan, 4 of them in slot 1.

Did you ever try a manual clean of the heads following the issue? I've found pretty much every time that no light ink is visible from the head when removed & gently wiped over a lint free towel. If I have managed to get it flowing again after soaking or cleaning it soon goes again once refitted.

I'd love to know which actual parts in the carriage that you had replaced resolved the issue. This MUST be something HP are aware of & know how to resolve?
I know eventually I'll have to upgrade to one of the newer generation HP's but I'm really not ready yet & would prefer to solve the problem if at all possible.
<<

Kevin Busby

User avatar

4 Star Contributor

Posts: 360

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:48 pm

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

Hi Myles

They tried different bits of the carriage but im pretty sure the last part was the ribbon cable from the rail to the carriage but done have any records any more to see what it was sorry.
<<

Myles Brewer

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 472

Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:46 am

Country: Ireland (ie)




Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: HP L26500 Repeated light ink printhead issues!

Kevin Busby wrote:Hi Myles

They tried different bits of the carriage but im pretty sure the last part was the ribbon cable from the rail to the carriage but done have any records any more to see what it was sorry.

Hi Kevin, & do you think that was possibly the btt that made the difference?

Return to HP Printers



 

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

 

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation
UK Sign Group
Site Membership
Advertising
Videos
British Signs & Graphics Assoc.

 

 Facebook
 Twitter
 Youtube
 Linkedin

 

Who is Online

In total there are 79 users online ::
4 registered, 0 hidden and 75 guests
[based on past 5 minutes]

Most users ever online was
370 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Registered users:
Chris Wool, Myles Brewer

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Robert Lambie