my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Do you deal with out of hours emails?

Do you deal with emails outside office hours?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes : 7
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Do you deal with out of hours emails?

Just after some thoughts on this.

We have a unit we work from, and our hours are Monday - Friday 8am - 4pm.

Technology being as it is, I have email on my phone, and have access to the work calendar on there too.

However, I'm now considering removing the work email from device to leave work at work. There's very little I can do outside the unit anyway.

One problem I have found is I read and email on a Friday evening and then forget by Monday morning. :blushing:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Re: Do you deal with out of hours emails?

I tend to find that I only ever give out my work email now and never my own private one, for no work things, so everyone just uses the work one so I am always looking at it.
Also most customers have my mobile so instead of emails they message me. I am thinking of getting a pre paid for work but then everyone has my current number.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:17 pm

I used to, now I only do it in my own time. I used to get countless facebook messages, emails, contact forms etc. Phone calls at my unit would be anytime I was there 8-6pm usually). As a result, I found myself less productive as people would turn up outside opening times etc. Last year I made a major change.

Turned off all facebook notifications (all of them) stopped responding to personal messages from people who had infiltrated my personal facebook, and actually started unfriending most of them (kept a few).

Bought in an answerphone that just plays a recorded message (please call back between 9am-4.30pm or email) removed all work emails from my phone and got a VoIP line in on my existing phone system that wasn't connected to the answer phone. This way I only give that number out to people who I allow to contact me if required (employees, and family, or if someone has arranged to come outside my opening hours for whatever reason). With it being a VoIP line, you can just cancel the number and replace it if required.

I also lock the front door if I need uninterrupted time outside opening hours etc.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:09 pm

I turned off the message us button on our Facebook page, firstly because they tended to message us at unlockable hours, secondly they all seemed to be time wasters.

Currently have a customer fretting because the urgent parcel that we shipped Friday for a pre-10:30 Saturday delivery hasn't arrived.

There's nothing I can do as the couriers are closed. This is a risk of leaving it to the last minute we only got confirmation on the artwork Thursday evening.

We dish out the landline number, we're switching to VOIP so when we have to call off a mobile can use the app so it looks like our office is calling. It won't ring out of hours either.

My mobile & Facebook is personal, and only gets given to those who I feel comfortable having it!
<<

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:13 pm

do we ever truly leave work at work?

If you want to completely shut off from weekend work...
Apply the "auto-responder" saying:
"thank you for your email, we will respond a.s.a.p. our hours of business are blah blah blah"

I use Google business to host all UKSB and my Sign Business emails, by default it bumps emails 2 or more days old with a notice at the top of your inbox asking for a "response or dismiss?"

or,
read the email but once done, mark it "unread" and it will sit at the top of your inbox.

I get so many emails on a daily basis, 24/7 and almost "none of them is personal"
all I can do is prioritise them as they come in. Regardless, I very seldom ever respond to an email via my phone. I prefer to only respond when sat at my desk, even though I may have read the email.

I always keep my phone on LOW volume or the sound completely OFF. same applies, if I can answer I will, if not I call back once I do have time. I understand this can be frustrating for the person contacting me, but there is only so much of my time I can give out.

I have one messenger on my phone "WhatsApp" which I only have 5 or 6 friends on it.

No matter what, emails, messages, apps etc Every single sound notification on my mobile phone is disabled and zero on-screen push notifications, all is turned off by default. However, the first opportunity I have to check my phone, I do! it is always on me...

keep in mind, not so long ago we had no mobiles, no emails etc and we ran our businesses just fine!
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Mixture of the above I suppose.

We are in 8am till 6pm Monday to Friday. Our opening time is 10am. Gives those two hours in the morning to set up the day and get boys sorted for there day. It stopped me working Saturday mornings.

Emails, I suppose like rob. Phone is on silent but I do check it through out the day and reply when I see I need to. I find that customers appreciate that it’s out of hours and your immediately giving them a above and beyond service. But also I tried ignoring everyone for a whole weekend once. Came in at 8am. Didn’t move from my desk till 3pm. That’s when I got lunch. It completely ruined the rhythm of the day and week to be honest. Much rather fire off emails here and there over the weekend now.

Don’t hand out my personal number. Actually had someone call at 1am once, to which I answered as we had already done work for them and I thought something had gone horrible wrong to be greeted with “I’ve been thinking and I think if we change this colour to this and blah blah blah”. Made me reconsider as that’s way over the line of the normal customer service. Some customers take ten miles and treat it like a inch.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:15 pm

I've turned notifications off this morning.

I've had several emails about this missing parcel. It's Sunday I cannot tell them anymore than they already know. The courier is closed, I'm out doing my weekly shop, seeing family.

I need to get myself more organised with email. The webmail version of Gmail is great as you say Rob. My dad hates outlook so perhaps we should try the gmail web app for a bit.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:04 pm

I think is swings and roundabouts. It depends what you want to achieve and we you are in the business world.
If you are busy and your business is well established, you can do Monday-Friday 8-18:00.

If you are small business and want every call and email, answering an email on your phone after hours on Friday, can give you a full day work the following week.
My research shows that I get jobs quoted fast. Emails answered late have already gone to another company.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:11 pm

To be fair most of our work is B2B, we get few e-mails outside of office hours, most of our customers are established companies, of varying sizes.

Whenever we get messages through social media, or vague emails late of an evening, we very rarely get the job. I think because they're smaller companies, or sole traders, who are fishing for prices.

We try not to install outside of the office hours either. Mainly because in summer I'll rather be racing than working.

I've turned the notifications off on my phone, so I won't get anymore e-mails of an evening or weekend. Most of what we do receive we can deal with next working day with no adverse effect.
<<

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:29 pm

My post above doesn't just apply to my weekends. This is how I work 7 days a week.
And anyone that knows me well will know I am still sending out emails around 3am in the morning and have been for the past 18 of my 29 years in this industry. This is not because "I must" or that my life is sooo hectic, it's just how I have chosen to pace myself and have got used to it...

In the past, I would have my Google Laptop and phone glued to me everywhere... but I haven't really used the laptop for a couple of years now, other than meetings, and I use my phone in the fashion I have stated above.

Mobile devices control our lives these days, and I am seeing more and more people trying to turn away from the high level of use... we complain about our kids being glued to their devices but the reality is, so are we!!!

David, it is G-Suite you are after... comes with everything cloud-based.
email, file storage, excel, word, etc etc but "their versions" of it. works the same though and accessed from anywhere.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Yes running Gsuite at the moment, but always used Outlook for the email. It's so bloody cluttered though, we'll stick with using the web based version of gmail.

Don't get me wrong, if we're busy, I take the laptop home and catch up on quotes etc in the evening, but at least I have all the stuff I need with me.
<<

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:50 pm

you Pay for G-suit and don't use it for email? :awkward:
the whole platform is self-contained and seamless, even youtube, your Google Analytics, Google Calendar, MyMaps and MyBusiness etc and anything else owned by Google all interlinks at a click... and helps tie your website and all else on a single platform.
If you already have the suite, you really should use the email. the amount of third-party business apps and the like that also bolt on too is great. I began using Gmail in 2005 I think and just upgraded to Google business suite as soon as it became available, never had a problem since.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:44 am

We use Google to host our e-mail, but we use outlook on the PC to access it, which is utter ( oh i swore ).
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:39 am

I'm thinking of ditching email and going back to faxes.

You can pretend you didn't receive a fax and get away with it easier than emails....

Joking aside. Whether I read an email or not and even if my autoresponder tells the sender that I won't be reading it for x amount of days, I still find nearly everyone expects it to be acted on instantly, like we are some giant corporation operating 24/7 to supply 10 small 'stickers' to the local scout group....

My favourite is when we receive an email at 5pm on Friday and get a follow up 9am Monday claiming they sent the original enquiry 'days ago'. They never seem to understand that they in fact sent it 1 working hour ago.

Return to General Sign Topics