my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Affordable portable Robot CNC Router able to mill, cut & engrave up to 8x4ft. +VIDEO

<<

.News

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:24 am

Affordable portable Robot CNC Router able to mill, cut & engrave up to 8x4ft. +VIDEO

Goliath CNC removes the stationary boundaries of CNC machines, allowing you to create human-scale projects where you want.

Watch on youtube.com

Removing the physical boundaries.
Traditional CNC machines are large, bulky, and stationary tools with physical limitations that hinder the creative capacity of many creators and makers whose ideas are larger than the small workspaces they are confined to. Goliath is the ideal solution for makers looking to create at scale.
Goliath-Portable-Autonomous-CNC-Tool-letters.png
Goliath-Portable-Autonomous-CNC-Tool-letters.png (210.35 KiB) Viewed 899 times

Make your large scale ideas tangible.
Goliath comes with built-in handles so you can easily store or take Goliath with you to your next location to continue working. Simply load your favorite CAD files via wi-fi, set your parameters and let Goliath do the rest of the work for you.
Goliath-Portable-Autonomous-CNC-Tool.png
Goliath-Portable-Autonomous-CNC-Tool.png (121.48 KiB) Viewed 899 times

Reducing the risk of human error.
Goliath CNC has a lot of features including 0.1mm point of accuracy, the patented and custom developed sensors enable the robot to understand its position, correcting the route in case of problems. It supports the automation of your projects with increased accuracy all while keeping safe and out of harm’s way.

With Goliath CNC you have the freedom to let your imagination run wild with a variety of materials to create furniture, skateboards, signage, and many other projects.

Watch on youtube.com

For further information: goliathcnc.com

<<

Luke Culpin

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:34 pm

Re: Affordable portable Robot CNC Router able to mill, cut & engrave up to 8x4ft. +VIDEO

Wow! I wonder how much affordable is?
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:42 pm

Re: Affordable portable Robot CNC Router able to mill, cut & engrave up to 8x4ft. +VIDEO

Luke Culpin wrote:Wow! I wonder how much affordable is?

I first heard about this tool via Craig Brown early this year who saw it at one of the U.S. Sign Shows, which made me look into further...
On sourcing information for this news story I then discovered there are 3 similar variations of this tool by different people/groups.

1, Is the one shown in the video above in the news feature. Launching soon and Priced around £1175
2, Appears to be the same as the one in the video, but maybe be a copy or even a scam. Priced around £275
3, Maslow, shown in this video below. Priced around £275

Watch on youtube.com
<<

Luke Culpin

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:04 am

Wow again! I think even the most expensive one is more than affordable! Very interesting! I look forward to seeing it on the shelves!!
<<

James Boden

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:58 am

Wow, this looks great.
<<

Andy Thorne

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:08 am

Can see the second one possibly working better than the first as (in theory) the cut swarf will drop away. The one at the top has the potential for "driving" over its own cut swarf (as there seems to be no extraction system) thereby raising (and angling) the spinning router bit and not cutting all the way through.
<<

CharveL

Site Newbie

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:40 pm

The one that drives around will have issues driving over sawdust without an extraction system.
<<

James Sahota

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:59 pm

I think this looks great....Nice handy tool.

Anyone who is experienced in using CNC machines will know how important suction is to holding the material down and ensuring you get a decent cut without bits flying of or sheet material moving. I'm guessing here material needs to be clamped.

Just my two pence for what its worth.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:15 pm

I agree the waste build-up will create problems, such as... Inaccurate cutting depths, but more so "traction of the wheels".
Too travel whilst cutting it has to have some form of grip and i cannot see those little rubber wheels doing anything through a pile of sawdust.
Also, even if they had an extraction hose, i recon the hose being dragged will create accuracy issues when cutting as it is easily snagged.
Not ideal, but i guess it would be easy to create a "blowing air action" from beneath the device to disperse all the dust as it travels. they would only need to divert the cooling air coming from the spinning router mechanism to flow out from underneath.
anyway, i imagine they will know this too and all will be in hand...
I am sure there will be many pros and cons, production speed for one, but i think it really opens doors and certainly would allow small sign companies dabble in some cnc work, perhaps before investing in a large table model.

Now....
I wonder how long it will be until we see one of these with "registration mark sensors", being able to plot and contour cut large format vinyl graphics. no dust or similar issues there! :wink:
Or even materials such as diamond grade reflective and other films requiring a flatbed cutter... :bigsmile:

James i think the trick will be it leaves "tabs" to prevent the pieces firing out. easily trimmed by a dremel.
<<

Simon Worrall

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:53 am

Perhaps it uses really accurate GPS!
<<

Phil P Davies

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Be handy for installing a sunroof in a car without the owner knowing about it....
<<

NeilRoss

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:07 pm

Phil P Davies wrote:Be handy for installing a sunroof in a car without the owner knowing about it....

Now that's what I call lateral thinking! :lol:
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:38 pm

Of the two, the Goliath seems to me to be the one most likely to succeed. The problems already mentioned (swarth causing slippage of the wheels - and would the wheels have enough grip anyway?) appear to have been addressed by the use of sensors to accurately sense it's position and to auto correct for any anomalies that may occur causing the robot to go off course?

As an alternative, what about a version with a laser cutter instead as this would avoid any drag to cause the cutter to go off course?
<<

NeilRoss

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:58 pm

Phill Fenton wrote:Of the two, the Goliath seems to me to be the one most likely to succeed. The problems already mentioned (swarth causing slippage of the wheels - and would the wheels have enough grip anyway?) appear to have been addressed by the use of sensors to accurately sense it's position and to auto correct for any anomalies that may occur causing the robot to go off course?

As an alternative, what about a version with a laser cutter instead as this would avoid any drag to cause the cutter to go off course?

And no swarf either.
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:57 pm

The first one Golieth was a kickstarper campaign & the target launch price was $2850 if the actual launch price is as Robert suggests then there will be A LOT of people who supported the campaign expecting a 35% discount on launch price who will have paid quite a bit more :lol: :lol:

The second one is a scam & the original Golieth people have been trying to get it shut down, they have been warning people about it.

The 3rd one has been around for some time but not sure what the lattest on it is.

Been looking in on the golieth one since it appeared as a kickstarter some time ago, you never actually see a video of a complete cut & I would suspect there will be other problems other than just swarf. Cutting forces at the tip of a router bit are quite high so accurate cuttting is one problem, it also seems to be very slow so not sure it would work to well on site for trades people. Finding a flat level 8 x 4 area on site to set up may be a problem & when have you ever seen a sheet of construction grade material that is flat :lol: :lol:

Laser option is probably better suited to it as has been sugested or vinyl cutting, reg mark location could probably be easily added as it uses a lot of sensors :lol: :lol:

Return to Industry News