my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

<<

robert@fast sign

Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 10:22 pm

paul!
im going to start making 3d built letters with halo effect. whats best neon or fibre optic. we have been building the letters before now but never inserting the lighting.
is it better, cheaper, & quicker for a novice to use fibre optic method to the neon...
thanks for advice

robert
<<

Paul Davenport

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:09 am

hmmmmm
ok, reasons for fibre optic
a, colour change
b, maintenance (especially if they are to be
fitted in a pretty awkward place where maintenance would be difficult)
c,your customer is concerned with overall running costs of the sign,as its cheaper to run fibre optic lighting
d, you are using lighting in a hostile environment

however you will find, depending on the size of letter then fitting the f/o strands can be very, very labour intensive, especially so on the bigger stuff.
you will also find that it doesnt really lend its self to giving a halo effect as you fit the strands from the back of the letter and the light wants to travel forwards.

if you are going for a larger letter say 1200 ish high you could try side emitting f/o cable which would require an entry and an exit point as both ends of the cable are connected to a light source.

i dont really think you can beat neon for a halo effect especially on normal sized letters, plus if you have a look at the foxhall pics in the gallery you will see that you can have a different coloured face to halo, using, in that case, a white light but filtered through tinted clear acrylic back to give an opal face and yellow halo.

if you are building very small lettering you can go the way of LED lighting......i will be seeing a chap next week about LED's which will be my first product review i hope

cheers

Paul D.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: davi on 2001-12-05 23:11 ]</font>
<<

d dunthorne

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:43 pm

There is an article on halo illumination in the November/December issue of Sign Directions magazine - should be out about now.

Regards

Don Dunthorne
<<

Paul Davenport

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:08 pm

Blimy

how things change....look at my latest posts on using leds for halo illumination, if i can its certainly the way i will be going in the future although we will have to see how the white leds shape up !!!!

Return to Neon, LED, Lighting