my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Heat Presses, help and advice please?

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:43 pm

Heat Presses, help and advice please?

Hi all. Thinking of buying a basic not to expensive heat press for applying vinyl to t-shirts. This is one i came across on ebay.

Have a plotter and hope to just do small runs. For stags and hens etc. Nothing to complicated.

The price for this one on ebay is something ill try as it wont break the bank and will maybe give me a starting point.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated if this machine would be a decent entry level for me to try.

Thanks
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:43 pm

Re: Heat Press Advice..........

Attachments
heat-press.jpg
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Re: Heat Press Advice

Used these before. Been through 3 of them before I learnt. But they do the job your looking for. Just be careful and check the temp of the actual plate from time to time.

Also when you unbox it and plug it in be careful. We had one arrive once. Set it up on the bench. Happy to see something new and shiney instead of the broken one in the corner. Turned it on. Set the temp and time, let it heat up. Then pulled the arm down and CABOOM! How both of us are still alive I will never know. And why we never sued them again I will never know. But yes, when the plate went down it caught an electrical cable. 150 degree of heat and pressure and one of those don’t work to well.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:27 pm

Re: Heat Presses, help and advice please?

Started off with something very similar to this, also an ebay special. Paid 150 quid for it brand new. Pressed hundreds of t-shirts and hoodies before selling it for £50 (still going strong). Paid for itself many times over. Only used for basic items like you mentioned so not certain how accurate the temperature was. Never had any real complaints apart from a couple of niggles, eg, made a very loud clanging noise when it was closed. Solved this by putting foam pipe insulation around the spring, made a massive difference. Took quite a bit of effort to close it compared to the "europa leisure" one I use now but then it's 4x the price. For a cheap start up it's hard to beat :-)

I'd also advise that when buying vinyl you get something with a sticky backing sheet. Holds the graphics in place much better if you have small text or intricate details. Xpres do quite a selection, they send you sample pack if you speak to them nicely ;-)
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:45 pm

If this press is the signzworld one I’d have to say for under £200 it’s worth a punt. They are based about 10 miles from my house & although I rarely buy anything from eBay, I went there in person to buy a mug press a couple of weeks ago. Mainly because I can go back ugly if it was tat, have to say, really helpful & inexpensive.
A press can make a ton of cash if you’re savvy, I hate doing clothing , too boring so the mrs has done all of ours for years. If you have a reasonable sized customer base, I guarantee they are all buying branded workwear. Might as well get it from the trusted sign shop that does all their other stuff. I’ve just bought her a duel head embroidery machine to use at home. Early retirement, here I come!
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 pm

David Stevenson wrote:Started off with something very similar to this, also an ebay special. Paid 150 quid for it brand new. Pressed hundreds of t-shirts and hoodies before selling it for £50 (still going strong). Paid for itself many times over. Only used for basic items like you mentioned so not certain how accurate the temperature was. Never had any real complaints apart from a couple of niggles, eg, made a very loud clanging noise when it was closed. Solved this by putting foam pipe insulation around the spring, made a massive difference. Took quite a bit of effort to close it compared to the "europa leisure" one I use now but then it's 4x the price. For a cheap start up it's hard to beat :-)

I'd also advise that when buying vinyl you get something with a sticky backing sheet. Holds the graphics in place much better if you have small text or intricate details. Xpres do quite a selection, they send you sample pack if you speak to them nicely ;-)
David... thats exactly what i wanted to hear. Appreciate your time to reply honestly. For under £200 i think ill take the plunge :-)

Thanks buddy :-)
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Kevin Mahoney wrote:If this press is the signzworld one I’d have to say for under £200 it’s worth a punt. They are based about 10 miles from my house & although I rarely buy anything from eBay, I went there in person to buy a mug press a couple of weeks ago. Mainly because I can go back ugly if it was tat, have to say, really helpful & inexpensive.
A press can make a ton of cash if you’re savvy, I hate doing clothing , too boring so the mrs has done all of ours for years. If you have a reasonable sized customer base, I guarantee they are all buying branded workwear. Might as well get it from the trusted sign shop that does all their other stuff. I’ve just bought her a duel head embroidery machine to use at home. Early retirement, here I come!
Cheers Kevin.. yes its from signzworld. Thanks for your time.. and heres hoping retirement comes early :-) (I've still a while to go yet ) but sure its all good :-)
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:05 pm

My tongue was firmly in cheek with my last comment, but I’ve done clothing for years & always dismissed it as a waste of my time but looked a bit closer at the numbers the other week & it does have some real legs in it. I still won’t do it personally but the Royal we certainly will. I’m finding a fifty fifty split between garment vinyl & embroidery (which I’ve always outsourced) lots of folk have a sour taste with garment vinyl so don’t skimp on the quality stuff. Healthy discounts are available with the clothing suppliers & they can give you a link to their stock catalogue to put on your website
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:20 pm

Our heart was broke with people in our town selling hen and stag t-shirts for a fiver! By the time you factored material costs, times, labour etc it wasn't worth the hassle. We've put our prices up for garments, offer much better designs than the "busy fools" and have finally started to make a reasonable profit. Like yourself though Kevin I absolutely hate it. Don't like turning customers away though as it could be t-shirts today and a pile of signage, vehicle graphics, and flyers next week :-)
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:34 pm

I had a brainwave the other week. Doesn’t happen too often, but we have always been a belt & braces sign company. My idea was to buy a cheap mug press & when Joe Bloggs the plumber buys his new van, he calls me up to book some time to sit with me & design his new livery. So I put him in the diary & I now have his name. He turns up for his appointment & we begin his design. One of my team pokes their head through the door & offers him tea/coffee. ‘Ta very much, I’ll have a coffee please, white, 2 sugars’. So we finish his design, he accepts the quote, & we book him in for fitting. While doing his print, we print a mug with our branding on it, other side has his name & how he takes his coffee. We leave it on the dash behind his steering wheel & get on with the livery. He comes for his van & sees it & says
‘How smart is that? Can you do me 20 with my new logo on them?’ I’ve done it 10 times, got 8 orders. A nothing giveaway that costs around £1.50 & at worst, he just takes it & flashes it around for a bit. That made me look closer at all the add ons with the business like business cards, leaflets, clothing & other stuff. Huge potential if you have time... or a wife
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:28 am

We have a heat press, DyeSub printer, and as other have mentioned, we detest doing them... we find it really time consuming, and the margins aren't that great compared to other less time consuming things.

We mainly use it for existing customers where we already have their artwork.

I've thought about the upselling, even worked it all out, but never actually got around to it :bangshead:
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:03 am

I was going to say stay clear of the cheap ebay presses as everyone knows how crap they are, but signzworld are the best of the cheaper range so you cant go too wrong.

Like everyone has said, i HATE doing tshirts, mainly because i do so much it drives me mad but as said its the long game, the numbers arnt too bad and it brings other work through the door. To this date, this year my tshirt press counter is at 1268 and ive got the bad shoulder to prove it.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:09 pm

So we all hate t-shirt then! I find having the press lower down and closing it with both hands helps a lot with the sore shoulder issue. I find one of the most time consuming parts is when the customer comes with their own design for you to replicate. It helps to keep a stock of cut ready files to give your customers the option to choose from them. If you have a decent collection and they can't choose from those a small extra design charge can help them change their mind lol
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:32 pm

Martyn Heath wrote:I was going to say stay clear of the cheap ebay presses as everyone knows how crap they are, but signzworld are the best of the cheaper range so you cant go too wrong.

Like everyone has said, i HATE doing tshirts, mainly because i do so much it drives me mad but as said its the long game, the numbers arnt too bad and it brings other work through the door. To this date, this year my tshirt press counter is at 1268 and ive got the bad shoulder to prove it.

Yes for sure we all hate doing them :lol: thats why we are so busy with them, only ones stupid enough to say yes :rollseyes:

Luckily i mainly do sports teams so bulk orders with no individual designs. I have tried moving the press lower but then instead of a bad shoulder it was a bad back :puppyeyes:, so shoulder is lesser of two evils.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:34 pm

Had a we chuckle at some of those comments bad backs / shoulders etc :-) its all new to me so time to do some homework on how to actually setup the press and what meterials are needed. Thanks again all :-)
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:15 pm

Wayne Maxwell wrote:
David Stevenson wrote:Started off with something very similar to this, also an ebay special. Paid 150 quid for it brand new. Pressed hundreds of t-shirts and hoodies before selling it for £50 (still going strong). Paid for itself many times over. Only used for basic items like you mentioned so not certain how accurate the temperature was. Never had any real complaints apart from a couple of niggles, eg, made a very loud clanging noise when it was closed. Solved this by putting foam pipe insulation around the spring, made a massive difference. Took quite a bit of effort to close it compared to the "europa leisure" one I use now but then it's 4x the price. For a cheap start up it's hard to beat :-)

David... thats exactly what i wanted to hear. Appreciate your time to reply honestly. For under £200 i think ill take the plunge :-)

Thanks buddy :-)
My pleasure Wayne, glad to help :-)
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:34 am

Wayne Maxwell wrote:Had a we chuckle at some of those comments bad backs / shoulders etc :-) its all new to me so time to do some homework on how to actually setup the press and what meterials are needed. Thanks again all :-)

And most important of all, find a good local physio :)
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:46 pm

Kevin Mahoney wrote:I had a brainwave the other week. Doesn’t happen too often, but we have always been a belt & braces sign company. My idea was to buy a cheap mug press & when Joe Bloggs the plumber buys his new van, he calls me up to book some time to sit with me & design his new livery. So I put him in the diary & I now have his name. He turns up for his appointment & we begin his design. One of my team pokes their head through the door & offers him tea/coffee. ‘Ta very much, I’ll have a coffee please, white, 2 sugars’. So we finish his design, he accepts the quote, & we book him in for fitting. While doing his print, we print a mug with our branding on it, other side has his name & how he takes his coffee. We leave it on the dash behind his steering wheel & get on with the livery. He comes for his van & sees it & says
‘How smart is that? Can you do me 20 with my new logo on them?’ I’ve done it 10 times, got 8 orders. A nothing giveaway that costs around £1.50 & at worst, he just takes it & flashes it around for a bit. That made me look closer at all the add ons with the business like business cards, leaflets, clothing & other stuff. Huge potential if you have time... or a wife
Lol, stole your idea today Kevin. Customer loves his new mug. Made a joke with him that we supply them in batches of 10! Hopefully he'll be back with me ;-)
Attachments
mug.jpg
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:58 am

David Stevenson wrote:
Kevin Mahoney wrote:I had a brainwave the other week. Doesn’t happen too often, but we have always been a belt & braces sign company. My idea was to buy a cheap mug press & when Joe Bloggs the plumber buys his new van, he calls me up to book some time to sit with me & design his new livery. So I put him in the diary & I now have his name. He turns up for his appointment & we begin his design. One of my team pokes their head through the door & offers him tea/coffee. ‘Ta very much, I’ll have a coffee please, white, 2 sugars’. So we finish his design, he accepts the quote, & we book him in for fitting. While doing his print, we print a mug with our branding on it, other side has his name & how he takes his coffee. We leave it on the dash behind his steering wheel & get on with the livery. He comes for his van & sees it & says
Lol, stole your idea today Kevin. Customer loves his new mug. Made a joke with him that we supply them in batches of 10! Hopefully he'll be back with me ;-) [

Suggest to him that there should be one of those mugs on the dash of every vehicle he sells & leave him to mull it over, could be a permanent rolling order.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:24 pm

David Stevenson wrote:
Lol, stole your idea today Kevin. Customer loves his new mug. Made a joke with him that we supply them in batches of 10! Hopefully he'll be back with me ;-) Nice one David.. great idea by Kevin. Just a quick question what printer do you guys use to create the prints for mugs ?
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi Wayne, The one we're using is a Ricoh 3100dn (a4). Works faultlessly. Had an Epson with a bulk feeder before that I ended up throwing it in the bin. Ricoh more expensive to run but when you take away the wasted hours and frustration with the bulk feeder so it's well worth it
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:22 pm

You have done well to get so close the the top and bottom without any fading. What mug press are you using or is it in a halogen oven?
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:57 pm

It's an "europa leisure" mug press. Allows for an image 210mm x 90mm. Great press
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Guys finally got my het press machine. Was wondering if anyone would give me some pointers..

1. Apart from vinyl do i also need to buy wax paper or brown paper ?

2. What timing when pressing shirts etc. Is there a certain time.

3. Do i pre press for a time before actually applying the vinyl.

Sorry for all the questions.. appreciate your help as always
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi Wayne, 1- I normally use a Teflon sheet when pressing to help protect the garment and print. 2 - Time and temp varies depending on material, some as short as 5 seconds others approx 12-15. Temperature is normally around the 140 degree mark. After removing the backing sheet I press again for a couple of seconds to seal the edges. Not sure if that's really needed but it's became a habit. 3 - the only time I prepress is if the garment is wrinkled, never had any come off yet (apart from those tumble dried!) Hope that helps, any more questions shout away, I'm glad to help :-)
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Wayne Maxwell wrote:Guys finally got my het press machine. Was wondering if anyone would give me some pointers..

1. Apart from vinyl do i also need to buy wax paper or brown paper ?

2. What timing when pressing shirts etc. Is there a certain time.

3. Do i pre press for a time before actually applying the vinyl.

Sorry for all the questions.. appreciate your help as always

Hi Wayne,

The Teflon sheets can be used on certain applications. They effectively trap the heat but stop the plate from scorching the garment and leaving a mark. We only use it for difficult fabrics. Cotton t-shirts etc.. (depending on who you are using) will be fine.
It is also used for sublimation and is a must.

Garment film. All have different pressing times/heats. All manufactures have spec sheets for this. We use victory and Grafityp. There films are 15 seconds at 150 degrees. I swear by these films. I’ve used a lot of the last 10 years and none come close.
The “new” 5 second films seem pointless to me. As when doing garments I lay down the first one, put the graphic on, slap in the press, grab the next one, set it up and then by time I have done that the press is ready to lift. 5 seconds would be to short of time and actually slow the whole process down.

If the garment is creased (as they just chucked in boxes) and doesn’t flatten when the graphic popped on then yea slap it in the press for a few seconds. Otherwise no.

Other than that I would suggest avoiding folding when still hot.
Easy weed films are great if it’s big detail. Otherwise it’s all gunna fall off the sheet.
When pressing make sure the garment neck is over the back of the machine, make sure hoody toggles are pulled out etc.. other wise you will get some nasty scorch marks.
Use ink block flex on football tops that need white print or any light colour.
Buy a pillow set (Grafityp do them) for polo shirts especially. This will remove the heat press mark.

Heat press pressures- I walked into another persons set-up a while back and they were doing squats with all the body weight to close it. This is way over the top. And if anything damage the print and garment. Should be able to open it with one hand comfortably.

Hope that helps.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:10 pm

Brilliant guys thats a great help for me. Thanks alot. Will let yous know how i get on :-)
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:19 am

Heat press has arrived. Instructions (none). In this photo attached i assume this rubber matt and sponge layer were just for packing purposes only.. Would i be right ? Or do i use them when pressing ?
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:19 am

Ruber matt and sponge layers
Attachments
sublimation-heatpress-textile-printing.jpg
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 am

No keep them. I know you need the rubber for definate, not sure about the sponge though. Keep it as well in the meantime
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:47 am

David Stevenson wrote:No keep them. I know you need the rubber for definate, not sure about the sponge though. Keep it as well in the meantime
Thanks David. Do i need the rubber matt when pressing or just remove it and press on the bottom silver plate ?
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:48 am

Yea rubber matt looks quite thin. I would keep both. Best to glue them down so they can’t move.
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:35 am

Chris Wilson wrote:Yea rubber matt looks quite thin. I would keep both. Best to glue them down so they can’t move.

I’d agree, my xpress has a dense sponge pad at the base, I would be inclined to test it loose & then find a heat resistant adhesive & fix permanently
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:14 am

Whilst on the subject of presses (hope u dont mind wayne) i have a secabo clam press, having been busy with tshirts for a few year now im having issues with my wrist. Does anyone own a pneumatic press? views, opinions?.

thanks
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:00 am

Martyn Heath wrote:Whilst on the subject of presses (hope u dont mind wayne) i have a secabo clam press, having been busy with tshirts for a few year now im having issues with my wrist. Does anyone own a pneumatic press? views, opinions?.

thanks
Are you sure the press is causing the issue with your wrist Martyn? You did say you weren't married after all ;-)
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:21 am

David Stevenson wrote:
Martyn Heath wrote:Whilst on the subject of presses (hope u dont mind wayne) i have a secabo clam press, having been busy with tshirts for a few year now im having issues with my wrist. Does anyone own a pneumatic press? views, opinions?.

thanks
Are you sure the press is causing the issue with your wrist Martyn? You did say you weren't married after all ;-)

Been happily engaged for 14 years so its definatly the heat press :lol:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:12 pm

Guys have any of you used tshirt print vinyl.. i want to know if i can print on my solvent machine - cut to shape then press on tops the same way as standard tshirt vinyl.

1. Do i have to buy a special carrier film to transfer vinyl

2. How long would the colours last if getting washed etc.

Thanks
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:23 pm

Have a look at Xpres website and also Grafityp. Both of these suppliers do printable garment vinyl along with the carrier tape.
There is a forum called Dye Sub Forum with more information on and if you join for £10 there are discounts available from Xpres.
Like all printed items they will fade but I have not had anything back from customers saying it has faded to quickly. I also use the Metamark printable vinyl.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:21 pm

Iain George wrote:Have a look at Xpres website and also Grafityp. Both of these suppliers do printable garment vinyl along with the carrier tape.
There is a forum called Dye Sub Forum with more information on and if you join for £10 there are discounts available from Xpres.
Like all printed items they will fade but I have not had anything back from customers saying it has faded to quickly. I also use the Metamark printable vinyl.
Thanks for quick reply Iain.. ill check that out.

Return to General Sign Topics