my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

The next step, man cave to a premises. Advice appreciated?

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Okay I have to opportunity to move from the man cave to a premises. It is currently being used as a hairdressers. The interior is from the late 70’s and will need a complete rip out. I also have a builder friend who wants to have an office base rather than the pub to meet clients. There is room for the two of us in the building plus two parking bays with the property and a shared yard to the rear.
The landlord has told me that as she appreciates work needs to be done and that she is willing to offer the equivalent in free rent.
This is a huge step for me but I feel that if to move forward I need to take this opportunity.
I know there is no magic wand but any pointers would be appreciated.

Iain
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:47 pm

Don’t rush to get in. Plan everything months in advance. Give your internet folks plenty of time and the phone line. Get an electric supplier sorted the day you move in (don’t go with a cheap broker, I’m learning this now) emergency traffs are insane. If you have windows and you think they could be broken insure them separately, that way if they do your whole premium doesn’t go up. Sort water fees straight away to.

In regards to sharing I’ve done it 4 times and never learnt from the first (I have now) Good relationships lost. Draw up the cost between you and make sure both of you are very clear on how things get paid and when for what amount each. It’s amazing how people turn when they don’t have cash to pay there share, or feel they don’t owe that cash.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:47 am

Re: The next step, man cave to a premises. Advice appreciated?

Check to see if it is eligible for small business rate relief. Save you a fortune if you are.

As above... treat it as business, not a friendship with the builder.
<<

Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 am

I would avoid sharing a unit at all costs if possible. If you can afford to take it on alone, paddle your own canoe. If your builder mate has a change of circumstances it’s unlikely that he’ll be considering you & your finances when the bills come in. It would be like a partnership without the benefits (as few as there are in my opinion) & if he’s doing the renovation for free, who pays the rent when it’s finally due? Would be a very expensive refurb I’d wager.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:48 am

We have known each other since forever and have always been there to help each other. We have already asked a solicitor friend about having formal contracts and who does what if one of us decided to move out. TBH my mate only wants a smallish area just to have a desk, phone and maybe a table to meet and have plans laid out. There is already a kitchen/laundry area that suits his needs. We are thinking of making this a separate area for rent purposes so that it becomes two separate rents and neither of us needs to worry about the other not being able to pay their share of the whole amount for the whole shop.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Make sure it's a business agreement, and not a friendly handshake and assume it'll be alright.

I've fallen foul of this, and it's now biting me on my ( oh i swore )... I cannot stress enough that business is business, treat everyone the same, and keep friendships out of business.

It sounds harsh, but there's no need to be rude about it. :thumbsup:

Enjoy the new challenge, sit down and think how you'd like the premises laid out, draw up a few scale layouts, and if possible I'd have a public area, and do your best to keep them away from the workshop :thumbsup:
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:36 pm

TBH if sharing is the only way out of the shed and into some decent premises then I'd take it..
But make sure the tees are crossed...
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:42 pm

We are both adamant that it is business first with this project as we value our friendship. As I said it is more for me the premises so I can expand he just needs somewhere to meet and discuss projects with clients.
My next question is did people see an increase in business once they had’ a shop front’ to when they started in their home/shed or even shared units.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 pm

I started in a shop, on a main road. Yes you get passing trade, but some of it is a hindrance... spending 30mins talking to someone about a £10 job. There are those who expect it there and then.

Not trying to put you off, but if you are a shop front, it is one thing to consider how you will deal with time leaches. Having a reception helps as you can always say you're busy in the back :wink:

We moved to an industrial unit, and seem to have gained more commercial work, we're geared up for van signage and do plenty of them, where the shop it was more posters & banners.

Location will be key, is the road busy with cars & pedestrians, and the surrounding area is it commercial or residential?
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:18 pm

When I say shop front I mean something rather than working from home or being hidden from view as it where.
I admit what I am looking at is a shop but I am planning on having a reception area so the work space is out of site.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 pm

I feel we appeared to become more "professional" when we moved from a domestic garage to proper premises. People took us a lot more seriously then.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:06 pm

David Stevenson wrote:I feel we appeared to become more "professional" when we moved from a domestic garage to proper premises. People took us a lot more seriously then.

That is my thinking, not that I am not professional already but I guess a man in a shed will always be a man in a shed and will not attract some clients.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:13 pm

Sorry Iain I don't for a second doubt your anything but professional. Some people used to see us as the "men in the shed". Guy from a big printing suppler came to visit us one day, nearly collapsed when he seen what we were producing from a garage. Couldn't believe from our orders from them that was where we were working from!!!
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:15 pm

David Stevenson wrote:Sorry Iain I don't for a second doubt your anything but professional. Some people used to see us as the "men in the shed". Guy from a big printing suppler came to visit us one day, nearly collapsed when he seen what we were producing from a garage. Couldn't believe from our orders from them that was where we were working from!!!

I never thought you meant it that way. Sorry if my reply came over that way, not very professional of me :)
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:35 pm

David Stevenson wrote:Sorry Iain I don't for a second doubt your anything but professional. Some people used to see us as the "men in the shed". Guy from a big printing suppler came to visit us one day, nearly collapsed when he seen what we were producing from a garage. Couldn't believe from our orders from them that was where we were working from!!!

Oh the memories! When we had the shop, we did a large laminating job for a commercial printer, they'd printed all the swatch books for a well known laminate manufacturer, and we got the job of applying the correct laminate to both sides of the swatches before sending them back to the printer to bind into books, and ship around the world.

The shop was an L-Shape, in this tatty old shop we shared with new a newsagents, in a grotty part of Manchester, we couldn't move for rolls of laminate and stacks of print, there must have been £1000's in laminate alone... you'd never have imagined it.

It lasted weeks, I even paid my ex's brother to come in, and his job was to sit on the floor and pull the backing off the bottom roll so we could it all in one pass, then he'd take them home and trim them all out. :lol:

You will pick up work for sure just by being seen. We used to lots of birthday invitations & banners, as it was mainly residential near by, a few van as we were on a main road, loads of poster printing, leaflets, funeral booklets, all in addition to the of commercial work we had.

Return to General Sign Topics