• TIMELINE

Digital screen protection suggestions

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Digital screen protection suggestions

Hi All,
I've been asked if I could fit some sort of protective cover over the top of these digital screens to stop people from either leaning against or touching them (They may think they are interactive)
DSC_2442.JPG

Initially, I was thinking of maybe 6mm toughened glass on standoffs but having measured it I think glass may be a bit heavy as it would be 2600x1500mm. The other obvious option would be clear acrylic of some sort but I'm worried about the issue of static attracting dust to the inside. What sort of thickness would be suitable that wouldn't be too floppy but at the same time not too heavy? (the wall is only standard plasterboard partition)
Access to the screens need to be possible so they can't be sealed in, & as usual, cost has to be a consideration.

Does anyone know of any better solutions?
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue May 01, 2018 3:06 am

Re: Digital screen protection suggestions

Hi Myles
Is there any reason you can't put stoneguard or some other protective clear film on the screen? or do they have to be completely enclosed?
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue May 01, 2018 6:43 am

Depending on the thickness of the screen, I’d maybe look at acrylic with 100mm panel supports at the base & some ceiling hangers to spread the load could work ok, be easy enough to undo to allow access for cleaning etc, have a look at e-shop fittings (hobdays) or supply them with a long reach feather duster!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue May 01, 2018 9:36 am

18mm shuttering ply ought to do the job!
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue May 01, 2018 9:39 am

Is it available in clear nowadays?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue May 01, 2018 10:33 am

:lol: :lol: Clear shuttering ply it is then :thumbsup: Why didn't I think of that? I do think 18mm might be a bit OTT though!!

Simon, I did wonder about something like that but yes it needs to cover them completely.

Panel supports & ceiling hangers could possibly work but again it's a false ceiling above which wouldn't be great & I think they might object to the look of the wires.

I'm actually wondering if a Panatrim style frame might be a better option now thinking about it? Easy to slide the panel out, plus the advantage it would help stop dust accumulating on the inner side & I could probably get away with a thinner sheet so reducing the weight. Maybe a thin strip of colour co-ordinated vinyl around the perimeter of the clear to cover the frame fixings.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue May 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Myles Brewer wrote::lol: :lol: Clear shuttering ply it is then :thumbsup: Why didn't I think of that? I do think 18mm might be a bit OTT though!!

yup, just hang it in place with sky hooks, make sure you fix them up with a left handed hammer mind.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue May 01, 2018 2:46 pm

Hugh Potter wrote:
Myles Brewer wrote::lol: :lol: Clear shuttering ply it is then :thumbsup: Why didn't I think of that? I do think 18mm might be a bit OTT though!!

yup, just hang it in place with sky hooks, make sure you fix them up with a left handed hammer mind.

I'm afraid sky hooks are out as the roof above obscures the sky, but I have these fixings
HayesFasteners.jpg
I'm pretty sure one of these will suit. :smiles:

Return to General Sign Topics