• TIMELINE

What do you charge for travel time?

<<

Jamie Hunt

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:44 pm

What do you charge for travel time?

Hi all
Im getting a few jobs at the minute where i have to travel to jobs to fit Graphics, what i wanted to know is do you charge for mileage or labour time or both
Im currently working on a £ 0-80 per mile basis but was wondering if i charge for my time as well!
<<

David Hammond

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: What do you charge for travel time?

We've worked out our running costs, based on an 8 hour day, 5 days a week, but assumed we're only able to bill 5 hours per day.

We have a full & 1/2 day rate based on that, we charge that + fuel (40p mile?) (+ Accommodation & Food if required) if outside our normal stomping ground.

Trouble with charging per mile only is when you end up sat in traffic. :bangshead:
<<

Hugh Potter

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:56 pm

if it's under 10miles it's included. outside 10 miles we charge our hourly rate, outside 20 it's the same + fuel and any expenses.

Being rural 10miles is rarely more than 15mins and we're making reasonable money at least in the job too.

Edit: Myself will be charged at full hourly rate and "the lad" a min of £20ph, subbies may be more depending what they bring to the table. so me and a "lad" would prob be £60ph if going to fit a sign.
Last edited by Hugh Potter on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Jamie Hunt

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:57 pm

Yes but what do you charge hourly rate and what is your travel mileage charge
<<

David Hammond

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:14 pm

It's irrelevant what anyone else charges, each business is different and have their own costs.

I know a company who quoted a customer £150.00 to install their sign. A two man team 8 hours - That's £9.38 an hour per man... A trade fitter we know charges £400 per day for a 2 man team, but they have multiple vans on the road, their own cherry pickers, printers etc. The fitters we used in London once charged per £600 a day.

As I always say, work out your running costs and charge what you're happy to charge & make from each job. :thumbsup:
<<

Jamie Hunt

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:20 pm

David Hammond wrote:It's irrelevant what anyone else charges, each business is different and have their own costs.

I know a company who quoted a customer £150.00 to install their sign. A two man team 8 hours - That's £9.38 an hour per man... A trade fitter we know charges £400 per day for a 2 man team, but they have multiple vans on the road, their own cherry pickers, printers etc. The fitters we used in London once charged per £600 a day.

As I always say, work out your running costs and charge what you're happy to charge & make from each job. :thumbsup:

Ok thanks for the advice Dave
<<

James Sahota

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:42 pm

We are at £650 a day and £450 half day.
<<

Jamie Hunt

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 pm

£650 is this for for travel time or do you mean labour time James , to different things , while your driving your not necessarily working so do you charge full rate for this as well, think im to cheap!
<<

Alex Crosbie

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:12 pm

If you’re driving then you can’t be making signs, doing artwork or any of the other things that make you money, if you’re not charging the same rate for travelling time as you are for working then by that way of thinking you’ll earn less by going out fitting than you would for making signs.

Distance doesn’t work out, as you can drive an hour to one place and it be 50 miles or you could drive an hour to go 5 miles.

Or put simply would you like to earn less money for going out fitting rather than staying in the cosy warm unit making signs.

Don’t forget with fitting work you have to provide a whole host of equipment, drills, PPE, ladders, steps, then there’s the vehicle, road tax, insurance, public liability and tradesmans insurance. Then there’s the health and safety aspect with risk assessments etc. And ongoing training and replacement of equipment as and when it needs it.

Hope that helps
<<

David Hammond

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Alex put's it far better than I could. :thumbsup:

We charge different rates, depending on the skill level, whether we can multi task when doing the job, our lowest rate is our 'Monkey Rate' which covers any task that a monkey could do :lol: :lol: But it all revolves around our hourly costs.

Here's an info graphic that may help (albeit American) http://blog.creativelive.com/how-to-cal ... fographic/
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:58 am

Travel time v fitting time.

You're 'on a job' and not making money elsewhere. If you've a crew of two or three... that's 2 or 3 people sitting doing diddly-squat in a van...still needs paid for which is why I do 'day rate' and charge fuel on top.

I charge slightly differently for me against a 'vinyl monkey/hole digger' if out on my own.

Charge rates vary...I charge less when fitting my own stuff as I can cover some of the value in the goods.

Return to General Sign Topics

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation
UK Sign Group