my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

First vinyl design help with the positioning text for Peugeot partner

<<

Alison Elson

Post Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:41 pm

First vinyl design help with the positioning text for Peugeot partner

Hi there, i'm new to the world of vehicle livery, :smiles: i just wanted to ask how i would position text on my artwork for a Peugeot partner van as it has a slant on it. Should my text be set at a perspective angle to reflect the slant or horizontal and positioned according when its actually put on the van. it would be vinyl cut. ive attached a mock below. i thank you all for your help.
Attachments
vanhelp.jpg
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: First vinyl design help with the positioning text for Peugeot partner

Quick easy rule...
Run everything parallel with the sill of the vehicle.

text on your van is far too big.

vehicle outlines are only 95% accurate at best. keep well away from door/panel joins, badges etc to allow a tolerance for inaccuracy.

always design as it appears when your typing in the text, dont rotate or change.
dont follow body lines on screen, only do this if its incorporated into the design, even then you should see the vehicle in the flesh first.

seeing as this is your first post, please load your profile picture or send us and we will load for you. rob@uksignboards.com
fair deal after our help? :wink: :lol:
Attachments
van-level.png
van-level.png (54.21 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
<<

Alison Elson

Post Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:21 pm

thank you for that, i didn't know about the line inaccuracy so thank you for pointing that out! it was just a quick mock so you could understand what i was trying to achieve.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:34 pm

no problem... yes i guessed it was just for a visual as such or your client has a great number and .com :smiles:
<<

Alison Elson

Post Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:44 pm

would it be possible for me to send you the completed artwork to ensure that ive set it up correctly privately?
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:20 pm

Yes not a problem. Just use email i gave earlier in thread
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:36 am

Like Robert has already said vehicle outlines are never completely accurate when it comes to sizing & even if they were you often find that badges have not always been placed in the same position so always good to see the actual van.
I used to have a notebook & would record the true panel sizes of every make & model van that I applied livery to, this helped save quite a bit of time as it saved me measuring the panels on every single van that I did :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you are out & about spend some time looking at vehicle livery to see what others have done, sad but I used to study each van I saw to see how it had been done & what I could have done (if anything) to make it better :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

Martin Oxenham

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:41 am

We always use photos now for visuals and only use the outlines to save the final file.
Take some accurate photos of the side of the van and the rear, make sure they are perfectly square on. Then take some accurate measurments and resize the pictures on screen to full size.
That way you know where every Badge, crease or dent is.
The proof looks better to the customer actually on a photo of his van.
<<

Alison Elson

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:20 pm

Martin Pearson wrote:Like Robert has already said vehicle outlines are never completely accurate when it comes to sizing & even if they were you often find that badges have not always been placed in the same position so always good to see the actual van.
I used to have a notebook & would record the true panel sizes of every make & model van that I applied livery to, this helped save quite a bit of time as it saved me measuring the panels on every single van that I did :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you are out & about spend some time looking at vehicle livery to see what others have done, sad but I used to study each van I saw to see how it had been done & what I could have done (if anything) to make it better :lol: :lol: :lol:

thankyou for your reply, I think i've caught the livery bug because lately im examining every van that i see driving past :lol: :smiles: i hope to do more in the future so will definitely start keeping records
<<

Alison Elson

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:21 pm

Martin Oxenham wrote:We always use photos now for visuals and only use the outlines to save the final file.
Take some accurate photos of the side of the van and the rear, make sure they are perfectly square on. Then take some accurate measurments and resize the pictures on screen to full size.
That way you know where every Badge, crease or dent is.
The proof looks better to the customer actually on a photo of his van.

this is a great idea, i will mock up on the clients van. thank you !
<<

Alison Elson

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:23 pm

A big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply :claps: :smiles:
<<

John McNickle

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:28 pm

If you look at most vans nowadays the lines are all different, we do the sill way too, there will even be a ridge on the sill where the underseal comes up to, we use that alot
<<

Gordon Smithard

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:40 pm

As per Martins idea, I tend to use photos now for layouts and sample for customer, looks great and never lets me down.
As for the angles etc, I sometimes go by the sloping lines but it depends on what else is going on the van and also the make of van. Vauxhall Astra vans are a prime example, no level lines above the sill, and if it's just a name and phone number in the panel then I keep it level, but if more stuff is going onto the bits below the panels (specially a long name down the side) then the panel stuff will slope down a bit and the rest will slope a bit more, almost in line with the vehicle lines. I did an astra van years ago with a big name down the side and I kept it level, it looked naff, so I pulled it off and redone it.
But any van with at least one panel edge level then all else would be level.
Well that's my take on it anyway.

Return to Vinyl