my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

air getting in somewhere when trying to pull ink through

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:12 pm

air getting in somewhere when trying to pull ink through

Hi, I'm just putting my printer back into service (Rockhopper II 64 derivative) after the summer.

Before shutting down last time, (as I was told by the service tech) I removed the damper on each head & flushed the heads of ink gently until the spray was clear then re-installed the damper onto the manifold. Filled the caps with flush fluid and set the head back onto the capping station.

I've now come back to turn it all back on, the heads still flush clear, only the black has an issue with nozzles not spraying. So, I've got the heads soaking in a bath of fluid, going to leave it overnight and see what happens...

The issue I seem to have is air getting in somewhere? When switched off, if I try and pull ink through just before the pumps there is no resistance and you can hear air being sucked in from somewhere, I initially thought it was the caps not seating correctly on the head but looking at them, they are free to move within the limits of the spring. Manually checking, the caps look to rise enough to seat properly and the head station in it's most downward position.

I can't see any fluid leaks when I drip fluid into the caps, but is there another drain or vent on the caps which could be stuck open and letting air in?

Also, how do you get into the capping station without tearing half the machine apart? I know it can be done as the service tech had it apart last year.

Cheers for the help in advance!
Chris
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Re: air getting in somewhere when trying to pull ink through

When you replaced the dampers did you renew the small " O " seals where the brass nut screws on ? From what I have read these can be bad for letting air in if you don't replace them when changing dampers.
I had a disk with all the service stuff for a triana which is a re-badged rocky, will have a look to see if I can find it. Not seen it since I moved house but then I don't need it anymore so wouldn't have been looking for it :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:41 pm

Re: air getting in somewhere when trying to pull ink through

No, but I don't think it's getting in from there as I'm not able to pull through the liquid thats already in the head i.e. there is literally no resistance when you try to pull ink through.

If you could find that CD, that would be amazing - That's actually the one I have.

Return to General Printing Topics