• TIMELINE

Wooden Sign Fascia - What material

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:24 am

Wooden Sign Fascia - What material

Hi Guys....

Hoping one you boffins can help.

Ok so a short while back we created a sign for a friend of mine who runs an agency in London....We made a nice tray sign with built up letters LED's etc etc....

My friend ignored the fact that we was in a conservation area and decided to go ahead and install this anyway (We did recommend against this)

Anyway after a 2 year battle his got to pull down his 4k sign...(ouch)

The plan is we will reuse the built up letters and this time the council would like these installed on a wooden backing,

My question is what kind of wood should we use for this type of thing. We will need to paint the wood to a specific colour and then matt varnish it.

Looking for some advice here please guys on how best to do this - The overall area is 5m x 1m so a decent span

We also want to use the same wood for a hanging sign on iron bracket

Help help....

Cheers Guys!
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:36 am

Re: Wooden Sign Fascia - What material

I'd typically use a 19mm marine grade plywood. Primed & painted. Thick enough to stay very flat but not super thick (heavy).

Doesn't delaminate with water after 6 months like internal stuff.

Edge trim with a moulding - ideally a hardwood, but pine is more readily available - glued & pinned.

Fallen foul of the same conservation things in the past...with about the same value of signage! (Customer decided to just do it).

The fact that a composite tray will weather far better than any painted wood is irrelevant - these councils are determined to have high streets full of 'quaint' facias using the available materials from 200 years ago.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:52 am

Dave.....

Top man...

I was thinking the exact same material.

Thanks for that mate!

One of these posh London high street where you pay 200k rent a year for a shoebox...
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:01 am

Defo Marine Ply!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:36 pm

Yep marine ply but ensure you paint both sides and edges not just the side on show, this helps to elevate bowing etc. 2nd the glueing of the edge trims again helps with the longevity of the board

Kev
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:26 pm

The town i live in (Inveraray) is like that, in fact i'm pricing one now. Apparently matt acm is too shiny but white gloss painted wood is fine. Baffling!! Oh and can only use black and white - no colours allowed
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm doing loads of these babies now - our area has gone mad for them! I'm using 10mm thick Siberian larch tongue and grooved boards (£10 for a 4 metre x 150mm plank), no painting or sealing, just slap a drop of Teak Oil on them and they go on forever, eventually turning a cool grey colour. The last one i did was 7 metres x 1 metre with 2 different colour built ups and LED's. Looks so much better than painted wood. Also doing lots of pallet wood fascias now as well, but a lot of prep involved in them. I always found marine ply never quite lives up to what the suppliers claim for it and need replacing in a couple of years (we're by the sea)...
Regards

Martin

Return to General Sign Topics