my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Hello from Braintree, Essex

<<

Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:21 pm

Hello from Braintree, Essex

Hi all, been viewing as a guest for ages and clearly an absolute wealth of info available from you all - its been so handy at times, thankyou.

So I figured time I joined!

Anyway - I'm a graphics professional, but have been producing stickers (mainly automotive) on the side for a few years now... which i always got a third party to output for me - via Gerber edge (I needed spot colour inc metallics).

So after 4 years I finally purchased my own set up (second hand), to allow me not only to produce in house but also to play around with what is and isn't achievable with the edge.
Getting on ok so far.... but I do have a couple of questions - if anyone is able to help!

Foils - is there any noticeable difference in quality between brands?

Vinyl - I've previously had stuff output to Metamark 7 - But a client wanted Scotchcal 100 - so i got a quote from Spandex on Scotchcal 220 - and nearly fell of my seat!!! It's astronomical (or certainly as a new customer they are quoting top dollar!) Is this price variation really worth it (i'll pay it if it is) or can anyone recommend a longer term vinyl that produces super result on the edge?

Lastly (for the moment!) My Edge is not an FX - can anyone tell me how much better the FX is over the Edge one LE (loading foild etc aside)- Mine appears to be printing perfectly from what I can tell but it isn't quite as good on fine detail / strokes as I would ideally like. For instance on small copy it could be better.... hence wondering if I use Scotchcal plus a Gerber brand foil it will improve?? Im aware it has a 300x600 option and I wonder how much better this proves - 99.9% of what I print is spot vector.

Any info or advice specific to the above or Gerber edge in general greatly appreciated! including suppliers if we are allowed to name drop?
Regards Rob
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi Rob welcome to the boards

It's good to see a fellow sign maker from braintree I can't help you much with your edge other than suggesting you try william smith for 3M products ask for vicky and say I sent you to them they are really helpful and I'm sure they will sort you out.

If your near us any time pop in for a coffee...

Lee
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi Rob

Welcome aboard mate
<<

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:09 am

Hi Rob, welcome to the boards!

Thanks so much for uploading your profile picture as well :) .
<<

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:32 am

Cheers guys....... and Lee, thanks for the offer mate, I do see your Van around quite a bit so may well take you up on it when I get a free moment! Rob
<<

Post Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:57 pm

welcome to the boards rob, good to have you here mate and thank you for taking the time to load your profile picture.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:23 pm

Welcome....

This place can be as addictive as facebook if not more!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:16 pm

welcome rob
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:33 am

Welcome to the forum Rob.
<<

Post Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:18 pm

Cheers guys!
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:22 am

Welcome Rob.
We still use our Edge II. It is much faster than the Edge I. We tried some alternative foil manufacturers, but ran into difficulties, and switched back to Gerber foils only. We use Gerber vinyls usually. Again we've had issues with other manufacturers. Usually the perforation pattern, but some times adhesion of the foils. The Gerber 220 price here in Canada is comparable with 2mil Arlon and Avery, so we play it safe.
Our Edge II prints very good small detail. For really small text, there is the small text tool. It has been available for a number of software versions.
The Edge FX foils are not compatible with the Edge II and I.
We use the standard DPI setting, as we've never seen much improvement using the higher settling.
Cheers mate.

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation