my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Text effect

<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:18 pm

Text effect

Can anyone help me re-creating this text effect using core draw x4? My mind is going blank trying to create a solid shadow while keeping a contour :s I also can't find the shadow tool on x4.

Cheers

Ewan
Attachments
20140328_125625-1.jpg
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Ewan..it's late, I've had a couple of beers and I'm away from a PC but try putting an outline round the original text and then play with 'extrude'
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:58 pm

Cheers Glenn. The way I was trying it but never had much time to try it and it was doing my head in. I thought there may be an easy way that I had missed.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:32 am

If you are printing then go with extrude if cutting then outline on text - basic repeat and offset then weld then editing the corners, long winded and frustrating especially when Signlab can do it so quicly and easily. I'm hoping that one day Corel will address this widely used effect and rewrite the extrude routine which is next to useless for plotter using signmakers.
Alan D
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:30 am

Alan you could create the first outline as a rounded pen, convert to object delete inner path. then duplicate and move for the drop part, weld all together.
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks guys. I was messing about there trying different things. I've ended up creating a contour, duplicating it twice, off setting them from each other, weld them together and deleted the staggered nodes...works a treat :cool: I think I may have to invest in Signlab as I don't like hassle.

Does anyone know of any good deals for Signlab vinyl?

Cheers

Ewan
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:36 am

Chris you can, X7 now has option for rounded contours and you can offset and weld, problem is you don't get the proper 'extrude' type corners just adrop style. Draw's extrude has loads of construction lines and consequently is no good for cutting. This has been brought to Corel's attention but I'm not aware of an imminent change, I guess its not high enough priority for plotter users.
Alan D
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:52 pm

I wasn't happy with the result when creating that effect on Corel so I have downloaded a trail version of Signlab to mess about with. How do you create that effect using Signlab?

Cheers

Ewan
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:18 pm

Select the line of text then from the drop down menu at the top left of the page - Transform - Outline, several options and or Transform - Shadow also several options.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Morgan on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:59 pm

Ewan, you can add the shadow & outline in one go. Don't outline it 1st, just select the text then 'transform' & ''shadow'. Choose the stlye in the top left hand corner. You need the 1st 'blue' one.

Then to the right tick the outline box & choose the thickness you want the outline to be. Or..

You can adjust the outline & shadow manually by dragging the square & circle on the right side of the selected object.
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. What a difference Signlab makes, so easy to create the effect I need :D It seems really basic and old fashioned though compared to Corel but it does the job
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:15 pm

Signlab is an excellent package, I run it side by side Corel Draw X7 and between them there is virtually nothing you can't do. Each one has it's special strengths.
Alan D
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:02 am

Thanks Allan, I find it hard to get to grips with the layout as it seems so basic looking yet the software is powerful. Would you say it's a good addition then? I Don't want to shell out on software that's only better for contours, outlines etc. What other things is it good for?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:09 am

Ewan you have the trial software which isn't costing you anything so why not have a play around & see if it fits the bill for you, there are also other software packages on the market that have trial versions so you could also download those & try them out. Then select what you think will work best for yourself & the type of work you are doing & would like to do.
Ask what the best software on a forum is & you will get lots of different answers as everyone has their own favourites. Doesn't mean they are better simply that the person who is answering prefers them.
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:31 am

Sorry for the dual post in separate sections. I managed to get that design done the way the customer wanted it using Signlab. I really like the transform tool with the outline, shadow etc but I don't like the old fashioned look of the software. When designing everything seems really jagged like a poor quality bitmap even though it's a vector, is there anyway to sharpen preview images without having to zoom in all the time?

Cheers

Ewan
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:08 am

Have a look at Flexi or vinylmaster as an alternative to signlab if your not happy with it, like I said earlier it is personal choice in a lot of cases. I don't use signlab myself so can't comment on it at all.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:59 am

Personally I think Draw displays better but select 'enhance view' under the SL view tab. that does improve display but can slow redraw. Generally I use Draw for anything to be printed digital or litho, or containing large amounts of text but it is invariably put into SL if anything needs cutting (which is the best cutter interface I've seen). Draw links very well with SL and a simple AI/eps/pdf export from SL into Draw. If it is a vinyl cut sign or van I generate in SL.
I prefer Draw's colour management and I prefer SL effects.
Impacts van outlines are supplied in CDL as well as the other formats and that in itself is very useful.
I would say having both is the way to go and I wouldn't want to be without one or the other, if you have the budget get both.
I've just had an email from Cadlink and there looks to be some deals on SL so I would have a word with Brian from Impact and see what he can do for you.
Alan D
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:25 am

Cheers Alan. Which package did you say comes with Imapcts outlines? I just bought the latest disk last week :-? I spoke to Brian the other day and he offered me a good deal which I might go for but will mess around a bit first.

Ewan
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:27 am

Martin I will look into Vinyl Master as an option. I like Flexi but it's a bit pricey even for the Starter edition which doesn't really do more than the Corel plugin I currently use.

Ewan
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:06 pm

love flexi, have been using it for 18 years.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:21 pm

sorry Ewan, I may have mis led you. Impact vehicle outlines are saved in various formats, one of which is cdl which is SL's file format therefore if you were to get SL you can OPEN files as oposed to importing them and then possibly having to resize.
My comments on display were a reply to another thread regarding display in SL an Draw.
Sorry for confusion.

Alan D

Return to Graphic Design Help