Categories
  • TIMELINE

rally car wrapping

<<

jonathan W

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:22 pm

rally car wrapping

hello,

i have a bmw e36 compact which i rally, its getting scrached all teh time, and i dont have access to a spray booth or anywhere i can spray the car now. I thought about wrapping it in vinal...

I bought this from ebay, and tried to wrap my front bumper, although it didnt work out properly, watchign some of the 3m tutorials on utube i can see where i have gone wrong and i can improve. This was just a test to see if i could get anywhere with it.

I dont know what make that vinal was, but it stuck directly on, no slip, and no way of getting the air out with out lifting the vinal or popping the bubble.

Now, im looking at doing the whole car, learning as i go which is totally fine by me. So i need to know a few things please;

where is best to get vinal from?

I have seen grafiwrap, I saw it here and it works out quite cheep, £2.64x25m = £66+delivery. I take it this is not the easist to fit as its so cheep?

my friend does vinal decals for rally cars and he uses oracle 651, but it seems to come in short widths.

I have rear a lot on here about 3m products, but i cant find out their prices, only products on line.

thanks for any help ;)
<<

Cameron Steer

3 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:29 pm

Hi There,

To protect paintwork and graphics etc would suggest a stone guard film , you can get it in a thick PVC apprx 150mic or a PU which is much tougher and more expensive , don't quote me exactly but prices range from about £8 to £28 per LM in 1260mm wide , just need to protect the most vulnerable parts of the car with this.

Hope that helps.

Cameron
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:25 am

The Grafityp vinyl you have linked to is not a wrap vinyl, its a monomeric vinyl or basically the cheapest type of vinyl you can buy. At 13 squids I doubt if the vinyl you bought from ebay was a proper wrap vinyl either.
Have a look at 3m, Avery, Arlon, & hexis, all do a good range. Grafityp do sell a wrap vinyl but not at the price you mentioned.
<<

Hugh Potter

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi,
As Martin says, the grafityp vinyl is just a cheap promo film and will not be suitable for wrapping. Nor will it be very likely that the ebay stuff will be either - personally I wouldn't buy wrapping film from any listing that spells it WARRPING in the title... quite honestly, at that price they're just ripping people off - showing a flash image of a car wrapped in a quality film while selling old tut. A good wrap film starts at around £15 per linear metre at 1260 wide (short runs).

I have only used the Oracle wrap colour change films (non air release), it has a repositionable adhesive - which only means you have a certain time to lift and play with it, not be able to slip it around on the paint.

To be honest, even a wrap vinyl will chip and scratch, you'll be better off using protective films as suggested by cameron or going to a sign shop for professional advice face to face.
<<

jonathan W

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:31 pm

thankyou very much for the replies!

The stuff i got from ebay i had a look at the backing today and it says ri-mark L&M, i dont knwo if that means anything to anyone but its defo cheep rubbish.

The car isnt a forrest rally car or anything its what they call a road rally car, we go down some rough roads, mainly muddy but there can be overhanging branches, and these are the ones that scratch the paint.

I emailed grafiwrap last ngith before i went to bed, and i got a reply like above saying the vinal i saw was not suitable and i need cast vinal. I got some PDF sent threw too..

The one i saw that looked ok was grafiwrap polymetric coloured series, that works out at £7.64 a meter. Now i understand thats not the best stuff, but if i start learning with this i hopefully will be able to get some form of results.

Is that a good place to start or should i look into more expencive material?

thankyou again!
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Most polymerics aren't really suitable for vehicle wraps & aren't sold for that purpose. There are some hybrid polymeric films about which might be confusing you a bit but generally speaking you should be looking at the major suppliers & what they list as a wrap vinyl as that will be suitable, as Hugh said don't buy from places like auction sites, stick to purchasing from proper vinyl distributors.

Return to Vehicle Wrapping