my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Removing old vinyl lettering of target van

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Removing old vinyl lettering of target van

Hi all been asked to letter a van up but the customer wants to take lettering off himself. Whet the best way, normally plenty of picking at it is the way I do it but there's a lot of graphic to come of this.one. Is her a easier way, heat gun set on low power possibly ?? Or is there a chemical that will release adhesive without damaging the paint
Thanks in advance

David
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:18 pm

Steamers can be quite good for removing lots of vinyl, if you get it right your left with very little glue as well.

Steve
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:36 pm

We use a heat gun and then some glue remover,slow boring work :(
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Get yourself a wallpaper steamer - works a treat and saves a lot of time (For just a few letters a heat gun is okay, but takes forever if you're doing a lot) :cry:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:41 pm

Steam stripper as has been said is what I tend to use, if the customer is removing the graphics themselves then make sure they know to remove all the glue BEFORE they bring it along for the new livery otherwise you will spend a lot of time doing what they were suppose to have done themselves :lol1: :lol1:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:44 am

Thanks for reply

Thank you gentlemen. Steamer it is them. It's a large transit hi top jumbo so yes there's a lot to come Much appreciated.

Only wish some one had answered my other post as quick a few weeks ago. I felt quite left out. Needed to know how after downloading fonts from de font I install them on a mac. I've tried as it suggests on you tube but they will not load. I'm downloading ttf files.

David
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 am

Hi David

If i remember rightly, you Open the Mac Fonts Folder and then Drag the new fonts into it.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:59 am

If you're using FontBook, just click the + button in the Font pane, then navigate to
where the font is, and click open. This should add the font. Make sure that you have
automatic font activation selected in the preferences. You can also drag and drop fonts
into the Fonts folder, which is contained in your root level library folder. Or use,
SuitCase.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:45 am

Jamie Wood wrote:If you're using FontBook, just click the + button in the Font pane, then navigate to
where the font is, and click open. This should add the font. Make sure that you have
automatic font activation selected in the preferences. You can also drag and drop fonts
into the Fonts folder, which is contained in your root level library folder. Or use,
SuitCase.
hi Jamie. Tried this a before and doesn't work. Opened font book, then opened downloaded items. Double clicked on downloaded font, it goes to font book and then message appears no gong loaded. I'm completely lost on this. Thanks
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:14 am

I'm not a mac user myself so not sure how they work but are the downloaded fonts zipped & have you tried unzipping them before you try to install them ??
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:26 am

[/quote]hi Jamie. Tried this a before and doesn't work. Opened font book, then opened downloaded items. Double clicked on downloaded font, it goes to font book and then message appears no gong loaded. I'm completely lost on this. Thanks[/quote]

When you double click on the font, you should have an 'Install font' button in the
window which pops up. Click on it, and this should install the font. Another way is to
drag a font directly onto the 'Font' pane when you have TypeBook open. A little green
plus symbol should appear to show that it is adding the font.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:33 am

Not used a steamer before will have to try that one.

We can never understand the state some people bring there vans in for lettering, most think its our job to clean and strip before fitting. All in with the price we quote.

Last week we did a van and was asked about the old vinyl, we quoted £40 per hrs to strip and prepare, the chap nearly dropped dead when he heard this, he decided to do it himself. When he brought it too us to letter he'd left all the glue on still. We again quoted £40 per hr to clean, he said go ahead as it took him 3 hrs to remove the lettering himself....

Sometimes it can fly off, other times its a straddle, but will get the steamer out of the loft for next time.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Martin wrote:I'm not a mac user myself so not sure how they work but are the downloaded fonts zipped & have you tried unzipping them before you try to install them ??

The files are downloaded from de font and are not usually zipped. I've tried alsorts to no success really. I double click on the file in downloads, it open another window in font book and when I click to install it does the usuall wait hourglass icon then stated no font installed. Weird. Thank you though for your comment
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Jamie Wood wrote:
hi Jamie. Tried this a before and doesn't work. Opened font book, then opened downloaded items. Double clicked on downloaded font, it goes to font book and then message appears no gong loaded. I'm completely lost on this. Thanks[/quote]

When you double click on the font, you should have an 'Install font' button in the
window which pops up. Click on it, and this should install the font. Another way is to
drag a font directly onto the 'Font' pane when you have TypeBook open. A little green
plus symbol should appear to show that it is adding the font.[/quote]

Tried this and no not getting any success . Couldn't be something to do with the font file by any chance. Ttf file extension. Cheers
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:54 am

David Stansfield wrote:Tried this and no not getting any success . Couldn't be something to do with the font file by any chance. Ttf file extension. Cheers

It shouldn't be anything to do with it being a TTF - I've used plenty of them over the
years, and a few from DaFont. Have you tried dragging the font files into the font
folder as suggested? This may be a work around. I've tried installing fonts in FontBook
using the methods described in this thread, and they have all worked, so maybe your
copy is corrupted. Not sure what else to suggest really, as I use SuitCase instead of
FontBook - it has a lot more features, and is very easy to use.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Jamie Wood wrote:
David Stansfield wrote:Tried this and no not getting any success . Couldn't be something to do with the font file by any chance. Ttf file extension. Cheers

It shouldn't be anything to do with it being a TTF - I've used plenty of them over the
years, and a few from DaFont. Have you tried dragging the font files into the font
folder as suggested? This may be a work around. I've tried installing fonts in FontBook
using the methods described in this thread, and they have all worked, so maybe your
copy is corrupted. Not sure what else to suggest really, as I use SuitCase instead of
FontBook - it has a lot more features, and is very easy to use.
thanks for the advice. I've tried drop and drag. Not heard of suite case is it a app or can you get it via internet. Thanks.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:47 am

You can get SuitCase here...

https://www.extensis.com/store/suitcase-fusion-5/

or Linotype Font Explorer is similar

http://www.fontexplorerx.com/products/

Return to General Sign Topics

About
Contact
Board Rules