Categories
  • TIMELINE

What wrap course (again!) from Spandex

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:26 pm

What wrap course (again!) from Spandex

Hi All.

Need to get myself along to a wrapping course & as they're my chosen supplier, would like to go through Spandex.

They've offered me 3 different courses; Avery, 3M or Arlon.

I can get by, but am no expert in wrapping, so have no idea which material to use. I predominantly use Avery 700/800 vinyl at the moment, so my gut says to stick with that, but as always, am open to suggestions & experience.

Cheers all,

G.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:02 pm

If it were me then I would be looking at the range of wrapping films each company supply, prices for the different films from each company to see if I could figure out which of the 3 brands I am most likely to use.
Although fitting techniques do vary slightly from brand to brand you should learn enough on any of the 3 courses to feel fairly confident trying any brand of wrap film.
<<

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 am

the brand should not really be important. the important part is how the vinyl is taught to be applied, in turn can be used on pretty much any vinyl. yes there are some "slight" exceptions to the rule, but still...

If you apply it correct, how that vinyl performs from there is down to the quality of the vinyl and its adhesive system.

When being trained, Do not go for the easiest to apply, your only going to force yourself into a rut and depend on it. All brands mentioned are at the highest level in the game, so you cant go far wrong.

and when speaking with "Mark AKA Debs" :D
ask him to show you "The Shimmy" :lol1: he will know what you mean. :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Cheers guys. 'the shimmy' sounds intriguing! :lol1:
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:07 pm

The best bit of advice i can give to you is to look for courses that are run by companies that are truly impartial to the sales of a vinyl and related products, and that has qualified tutors endorsed by the vinyl manufacturers.

that will greatly narrow down those available.

Regards
<<

Roland DG UK Ltd
Roland DG UK Ltd

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi Gwaredd,

I agree with Robert, the brand of vinyl is not necessarily important for your wrap course, more what you will learn.
Learning wrap techniques and being able to practice/apply these on the course is ideal. Also looking at how to fit this [new] service into your business.
If using a digital printer you may want to discuss/learn the elements of design and print too.
Wrapping courses are great for improving not just your wrap skills but your knowledge on the theories and techniques used, this will help you in many other applications!
I hope you find something suitable.
Cheers

mod-edit
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:and when speaking with "Mark AKA Debs" :D
ask him to show you "The Shimmy" :lol1: he will know what you mean. :wink:

Ah yes the shimmy the fall name for this technique is the "Lambie Shimmy" :lol1: a great technique thought up by a "small man from Glasgow" which I often show people on the courses I teach maybe this will sway you gwaredd to the course you attend.

Thanks
Mark (AKA debs)
<<

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:44 am

Mark Richardson wrote:Ah yes the shimmy the fall name for this technique is the "Lambie Shimmy" :lol1: a great technique thought up by a "small man from Glasgow" which I often show people on the courses I teach maybe this will sway you gwaredd to the course you attend.

Thanks
Mark (AKA debs)

Shimmy
:booty:

Small man indeed...

:lol1:
<<

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi Gwaredd

Really depends on where your future lies within wrapping.. Are you just looking at just vehicle colour change where you choose the vinyl? Or are you looking at subbing yourself out for commercial work etc where you are given different types of vinyl to use?

As you may well spend the money training on 1 manufacturer, say 3M controltac, then you go to a job and you have to fit full glue Avery1900 digital print media..

Open yourself up to the idea of an impartial training course and you won't go wrong.. less sales more training - and more cost effective for your business
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi All.

Just an update to say that I attended the Avery wrapping course this week & felt it was top notch.

Have a few customers already chomping at the bit, so will get a bit of practice in on their cars first before topping up my skills on an advanced course.

Although Mark was there, I forgot to ask about the 'shimmy'

Care to enlighten me now? :lol1:
<<

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:32 pm

Gwaredd Steele wrote:Although Mark was there, I forgot to ask about the 'shimmy'

Care to enlighten me now? :lol1:

Dear God, you got trained by Mark and never asked about the Lambie Shimmy?
You missed a trick there mate... you will just need to attend the UKSG training one now. :wink: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Joking aside, its just a simple movement with your hands when applying wrap vinyl which helps prevent vinyl bunching, creasing etc. I would explain more but disclaimers must be signed first. :lol1: :lol1:

Glad to hear all went well mate...

Return to Vehicle Wrapping