my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Some window etch effect/frosting questions please...

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Some window etch effect/frosting questions please...

Hi all,

Still yet to dip my toe into window frosting. Have been off the scene for a while with health issues.

Just met a potential customer yesterday for quite a big job, mainly involving window frosting.

Q1. Customer wants a long horizontal band of frosted vinyl (around 1200 in height)560mm off the floor running horizontally across a glass height of 2650. If I bought a 1220 wide roll of etch effect, would it be suitable to use straight off the roll without any trimming on either sides for a clean edge? Would the very edge be usable and with a consistent clean regular edge of would it undulate?

Q2. On another window panel client wants a 4 colour logo printing onto the etch effect vinyl (will have to outsource for this if its possible), is this possible and if so what brand and product? The premises next door looks like they have had full colour print direct onto the frosting? Can this be done? Or would fosting on the inside and printed clear vinyl on the outside be the way to go?

Q3. Given that I'm new to frosting and its a large job, what brand would you consider the easiest to apply?

Many thanks and as ever and look forward to your guidance and wisdom . :)

thanks,
Neil.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:20 pm

Neil

1. I would always cut off the edges. In my experience the rolls always get bashed no matter how well they have been treated, and they are a magnet for any dust that happens to be around..
2. As far as I'm aware you can print onto any vinyl with a solvent printer, just make sure it is clean. The trouble is if you laminate it you will change the appearance.
3. I find the 3m dusted crystal and frosted crystal (I get the two mixed up) the easiest to apply, and the one we use most of. Personally I always apply frosting wet, (I can hear the moans of disapproval).

Simon
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:02 pm

I always put frosting on wet as well unless it is a smallish logo or lettering, that said the last job I used Hexis air release and although expensive it did work well although it does have a strong initial tack.
Alan d
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Many thanks Alan and Simon for your feedback. I'll make sure the edges are cut off the frosting.
Ive made a quick visual to hopefully explain better what I'm looking at doing. It would be a height thats out of reach from people picking or peeling the logo off from the outside. Would this work or would you notice the edges of the clear vinyl that the logo would printed on. Would the frosting on the other side of the glass show this up somehow?
The advantages of this is that the client only intends to be there for 12 months and would only have to remove the external logo's and not all the frosting (there will be a lot of frosting).
Look forward to you feedback.
Attachments
frosting idea.jpg
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:20 am

print the clear in reverse and apply from the inside then flood coat with the frost
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks Chris! :D
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:20 pm

print on clear in reverse then 'laminate' it with the etch...works a treat..

Does sort of negate the whole '12 months then remove' idea though.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:44 am

Thanks David.

Return to Vinyl