Categories
  • TIMELINE

Smart Blades - Thoughts?

<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Smart Blades - Thoughts?

Morning All!

Well I recently purchased a new plotter as some may know to add to the small collection and was given some Smart Blades with it which was appreciated.

Admittedly one was old but obviously you can send them off for sharpening/replacement.

I have never used them before, funny enough I had been looking into them 2 weeks prior but my problem is that the blade/holder seems to sit lower than the usual holder and skims over some vinyl occasionally which leaves a faint cut mark. It happens on measure width and also occasionally when doing jobs. Swapping from letter to letter for example.

How does anyone else get on with these or thoughts on them?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:13 pm

personally I like them. Might be worth checking if they are the correct ones by caling Harry!

Always keep 4 here as spares and fit my versacamm too so even handier to share
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Harry what a legend he is! His voice is amazing!

He helped me out, going to give these blade another go properly when its not so hectic here.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:04 pm

:o you spoke to harry and there is only 1hr between your post!!

you got away lightly!! :D

no really, harry is a top guy and i have used his smart blades for years
they are very good. hope you sort it out.

Paul
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:13 pm

we got some smart blades for our ce500-60 and just put it in and it worked perfect.the cost of carrige between ireland and the uk doesnt really make it cost effective to have them serviced/exchanged,its probley be cheaper to just buy bladesfor the standard holder.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:38 pm

Sorry can't see what these do that a £2 blade and £15 holder does. But please carry on as every body is happy inc me.
<<

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Harry is very knowledgeable and clearly knows his stuff. 100% to the man...
His blades are reputable and I know the system works for many...
i.e. return, get new and so on..

for me it was too inconvenient. we buy blades, soon as they show signs of wear we order and next day they are here. once the last one is spent we change, bin and move on...

i can see how Harry's may save a "few pounds" for the one man band but more than one machine and it gets messy. and i say that from experience...

blades are cheap as chips. if you keep them and the holder clean and lube'd then they last for ever. and we do shed loads of cutting. the blades go on and on...
cut anything and everything, dirty environment etc and they will be binned in no time.

blades cost on average £10 and last you months. weigh that up to what you earn/cut and there really isnt a cost.

buy what best suits your needs. buy a brand from a reputable source.
and by that i do not mean Harry's blades are anything less... i know his firm supplies a great many companies under their own brand, like many things today.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:15 am

Sorry to sound ignorant...what are smart blades?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:55 am

It is a blade/holder that comes as a complete unit.......the amount the blade protrudes is pre-set at the factory.

john
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm undecided :lol1:

I've got 2 for my Summa and 2 for my Versacamm and they work great but so do good quality throw away ones.

Just sent all mine back for exchange and have normal blades in and like Rob says they'll last for months.

Steve
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:15 pm

I once saw an add in a sign magazine for the smart baldes. They were free to try and if you liked them you would pay for them or return them if you didn't. I thought that someone must be very sure of their product to advertise like that so I gave them a go!
I have now been using them for around eight years and never looked back. They are far superior than ANY other blade I have ever used and no messing about with the blade depth.
Sure, it's a bit of a pain having to send them back. I even have to get them sent to Gibraltar which with postage soon adds up, But I am willing to pay to the best product.
They are also very knowledgable in their field, and have no issues in spending an hour of their time to help you out. I just can't say enough good things about them and their products...
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:50 am

I've been using them for years as well, as a one man band with just one plotter I don't have any problems at all, I have 4 of them so don't have a problem sending them back.
I doubt if they are any better than a normal blade that has been set up right but the good thing about them is that you don't have to worry about setting them up as they come ready to go. Works for me but obviously won't suit everyone.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 am

I've been using smart blades in my Graphtec for years - never use anything else. I have different blades for vinyl and flock and I can change them in seconds, much easier than fiddling about with the blade/spring on the Graphtec.
Alan D

Return to General Cutter topics