How does everyone manage their email?

<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:57 pm

How does everyone manage their email?

How do others manage their email.

I have always used aol for my email and readily accept the advice that I should be using an email address which uses my domain name instead of aol.com

I have finally set up emails using my domain name address and I am using outlook express to download/upload the emails to the server.

The big disadvantage with AOL was it blocks a lot of mail that I should be receiving, but what I like about it is I can access emails from various different computers and mobile devices - even those I have already read. Whereas, with outlook express it seems once I have downloaded an email it is no longer available to download again to another computer or device? Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Can anyone advise?
<<

Warren Beard

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Googlemail for business, works great and is cloud based so access anywhere anytime, 25gb store included and I think $33 a year per user, extra storage can be purchased but I've been using it a good few years and am only 60% full but don't delete anything but spam.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:05 pm

ive stopped using outlook prefer mozilla thunderbird found it easier and quicker to activate new e-mail addresses and filter junk :D
<<

Dave Hamilton

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:10 pm

Phil,

In Outlook Express go to tools>accounts select your account then properties>advanced and check the box for "Leave a copy of messages on server"
<<

Kevin Busby

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:11 pm

You can use the imap protocol in emails, it will do exactly what you need and should work perfectly with your hosting account.

Quiet happy to help you set this up and there won't be a charge for the help so it does not break the rules on recommending your own services.

Drop me a message with your contact details and I can connect remotely and help you set it all up then I can print the settings out for you to put into your mobile for access.

Kev
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Thanks

Does google mail for business allow you to set up email addresses that contain your domain name as part of the address or are you restricted to username@googlemail.com?
<<

Kevin Busby

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:19 pm

The paid for business version does but not sure about the free personal accounts sorry.

Kev
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:21 pm

Dave Hamilton wrote:Phil,

In Outlook Express go to tools>accounts select your account then properties>advanced and check the box for "Leave a copy of messages on server"

Thanks Dave - That answers my main concern and solves my problem
<<

Warren Beard

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:09 pm

free (personal) version is .....@gmail.com

business gmail is your domain so Phill@domainname.co.uk
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 pm

I run UKSB via google business Phill.
rob@uksignboards.com is my address as you will know...

Google business is by far the best email host i have ever tried.
i get almost ZERO spam. any that comes in goes direct to spam folder.
everything is cloud based, means you can access it from your phone, a hotel on hoilday, laptop or work. you name it...
use chrome browser and that integrates too, along with many other accounts seamlessly. Youtube, Google+ email, chrome browser, google analytics, blogger, even "mailchimp" which hosts your email campaigns and has all the bells and whistles for free upto 2000 emails sent per month. you can even brand your account with your logo etc.
you can add sub'emails such as Alison@rightsigns.co.uk at cost of another account but managed by you. this means she gets everything you get but in her own account.

also, you dont need software to open pdf's and the like, they all open within the account. so no plugins etc required...

as warren says, the amount of space they give you is huge and will take years to fill it. even then you can double it for a few quid.
<<

Alan Drury

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:39 am

Phil, does your hosting come with cpanel (control panel) or similar? if so apart from a host of extra features there you would propably have Horde, Squirrel mail and Round Cube - these are webmail and will allow everything you want/any computer access. You can continue to use Outlool Express and if you choose the 'leave copy on the server' option ensure you empty the server inbox periodically or it may fill up and stop the email working.
This is how my system works.
Alan D
<<

Peter Thorning

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:18 am

I set up my domain name with 1&1 as a forwarding account to my googlemail account. Best of both world because you get all the features of gmail, can access it from anywhere, but you also look professional with your own domain name.

Really simple to set up and the best solution IMO.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:37 am

Peter its 1&1 im with also, but still use Google business along with my website domain.
gmail is a good platform, but its mainly a testing platform for the Google business accounts. i.e. a beta version of Google business.
on face value they look the same Peter but definitely not mate.
<<

Peter Thorning

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 am

Rob, can you give us a quick list of benefits if you don't mind please mate?
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Re: Managing Email?

Phill Fenton wrote: Whereas, with outlook express it seems once I have downloaded an email it is no longer available to download again to another computer or device? Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Can anyone advise?
Little setting in 'ADVANCED'

tick the 'keep on server' thing...
<<

Warren Beard

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:20 pm

Peter Thorning wrote:I set up my domain name with 1&1 as a forwarding account to my googlemail account. Best of both world because you get all the features of gmail, can access it from anywhere, but you also look professional with your own domain name.

Really simple to set up and the best solution IMO.

If you are on the free gmail account then you cannot hide the fact it is gmail, you can change how it looks so you can make up youname@yourbusinessname.com but after this it will send something like send via yourname@gmail.com.

unless it's changed but then I would think a fair amount of people wouldn't upgrade as this is one of the main features because it looks more professional.

Do it sooner rather than later because (if I remember correctly) you can import all the details except labels I think or something, I remember there was something it couldn't copy over so the sooner you do it the better.
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:30 pm

I use Outlook to control a lot of the business. AOL as I said on many occasions lost the plot.

Domains isn't too much of an issue with any system

Mobile phones also now compatible with many of the big names like yahoo / gmail.

I do recommend staying clear of Hotmail as their as bad as AOL.

Yahoo is good but don't know about domains and I use it for personal email.

I have ISP reseller account so I am biased to domains and Outlook etc.
<<

Gavin MacMillan

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:51 am

A personal Gmail account doesn't show any indication of being sent from a gmail address. Gives 10gb of storage. I've been using it for ages and also use other Google services, g+, google drive, google music and calender

Unless anyone knows of another reason, increased storage is the only reason I would want to upgrade?
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Like Gavin I've been using a personal googlemail account. Not sure how many years I have been using it but it must be a few now. Even on a personal account you can change the headers & I have a couple of different ones I use as all my email is directed to the gmail account.
Have in the past checked with customers to make sure there was no mention of google or gmail on emails they recieved from me & all reported back that they had arrived from the email address I had used when I sent them.
<<

Martin Gray

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:32 pm

I work Outlook Phill. its only problem is i cant see my sent mail on my phone as it doesnt save to the server.

Martin
<<

Gordon Forbes

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Sure it isn't under "sent mail"
<<

Martin Gray

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:59 pm

Haha I checked there Gordon but no! Its saved on the computer but not on the sever so i can't see it on my phone!

Martin.
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:16 pm

Martin - You could always copy yourself in on any messages you send. That way you can always access copies of any mail you send from any device and not just the device where the message was originally sent from. But I think this is where "Cloud based" email has the upper hand
<<

Kevin Busby

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Or you could use the imap protocol as suggested earlier, works with nearly all hosting accounts and you email is worked on the server without downloading just like gmail does that way every email and folder is the same on every device so no need to copy emails or send copies as every email no matter what folder it's filed in will sync across.

Kev
<<

Daniel Evans

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Most web hosting companies will have direct access to your email, meaning you can go to their website and input your login details and gain your emails.

My provider does allow this but i never use it unless i'm away and don't have access to my iphone ipad or macbook which never happens.

I use IMAP to allow me to sync my mail across all my hardware, so if i open an email on my imac, i will show as read across all my other items, if i've read it then again it will show read on everything.

In regards to spam, you can control this through cpanel.

In regards to the amount of email address you are allowed, this depends on your web hosting provider and 90% will included this in the cost of your package.

Return to Computers