Categories
  • TIMELINE

Using a 3d font

<<

Andy Taylor

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Using a 3d font

Hi I have a 3d font I would like to cut. But my brain seems to have malfunctioned and I cant for the life of me figure out how I separate the two outlines to cut.

Its Bullpen 3d and all I need is two layers the main font in Blue and the shadow/3d effect in silver.

Could someone put me out of my misery please??
<<

Neil Davey

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:49 pm

In FlexiSign I would:

Convert to outlines - select white areas and group, there you have your lettering - select all, weld and then you have your black shadow/outline.

I haven't downloaded the font but looking at it this method would work. It may even be less work, I'll see later when I have time to download and install the font.
<<

Neil Davey

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Neil Davey wrote:In FlexiSign I would:

Convert to outlines - select silver areas and group, there you have your lettering - select all, weld and then you have your black shadow/outline.

I haven't downloaded the font but looking at it this method would work. It may even be less work, I'll see later when I have time to download and install the font.
<<

Andy Taylor

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Neil Davey wrote:In FlexiSign I would:

Convert to outlines - select white areas and group, there you have your lettering - select all, weld and then you have your black shadow/outline.

Ah I dont have flexi . I am using Vinyl master pro and can only find convert to curves. lol
<<

Neil Davey

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:05 pm

Convert to curves is OK, you just need to be able to separate the lettering from the shadow.
<<

Graham Shand

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Should be straight forward in Vinyl Master Pro, if the shadow is a different colour from the font, look at the cut options, it should have separated the colours for cutting.
The other way to do this quickly is make a copy, and get rid of the parts you do not wish to cut, one for the font , the other for the shadow, and cut the colours required
<<

Andy Taylor

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Graham Shand wrote:Should be straight forward in Vinyl Master Pro, if the shadow is a different colour from the font, look at the cut options, it should have separated the colours for cutting.
The other way to do this quickly is make a copy, and get rid of the parts you do not wish to cut, one for the font , the other for the shadow, and cut the colours required

Thats what I expected also but it does not separate the cut based on colour. I might have a setting wrong but I usually use signcut but lost my dongle. I am sure VM will do everything but its finding out how to do things quickly as I was stitched up by a cutter seller for around 40 grand and need to pay legal fees as they are refusing to pay my commission. :(

Ironically I only need to sort one task and it combines several text challenges and I guess the stress is also getting to me now.

A mate makes backs for Recovery trucks and just wants me to supply him with the RECOVERY graphics. In vertical text, starting at 15cm widening to 28cm with an overall length of 115cm in Bullpen 3D Blue with a silver shadow.

6 months ago I would have done this easy but my memory seems to be failing badly just now.. ;(

Just going through all the tutorials now lol
<<

Graham Shand

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:59 pm

In order for it to separate colour for cutting it has to be a font, not an image, in VMware pro make a mask of the fonts, convert to curves, make copy, change to black, for shadow, press P to centre image, grab second image and press P to centre and font on top of shadow colour, or post an image and I will see what I can do with it
<<

Andy Taylor

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Graham Shand wrote:In order for it to separate colour for cutting it has to be a font, not an image, in VMware pro make a mask of the fonts, convert to curves, make copy, change to black, for shadow, press P to centre image, grab second image and press P to centre and font on top of shadow colour, or post an image and I will see what I can do with it

I am assuming its a font as its installed and just typed in. I am getting there but there are just too many variables for my point and click learning method. lol I am sure its in the manual somewhere and maybe even in the tutorials.

I have found a section on contour as I will need the reg marks anyway. And now mange to get tow colours to cut BUT it seems to be cut lines BOTH on the outside of the complete font. lol

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w38 ... covery.jpg

That one is without contour.
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w38 ... overy2.jpg
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w38 ... overy3.jpg

I have not even worried about gradually widening text yet I need to master the cutting first :)
<<

Graham Shand

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:17 pm

To produce a contour cut using vinyl master pro, go to contour cut symbol, select, and then you need to select the width of cut, also select if you want to keep the middle of the image, which I would imagine you would do
<<

Andy Taylor

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Graham Shand wrote:To produce a contour cut using vinyl master pro, go to contour cut symbol, select, and then you need to select the width of cut, also select if you want to keep the middle of the image, which I would imagine you would do

I dont actually want to produce a contour cut but it seems like the only way I can see how to get a split in the cut file. still working through these videos lol
<<

Andy Taylor

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Neil Davey wrote:Convert to curves is OK, you just need to be able to separate the lettering from the shadow.

Yes thats exactly what I still need to do. lol No matter what I try I can not get it to work.

The font is perfect . It loads up fine BUT when I try filling it with colour the ONLY thing that I can get to fill is the shadow. The remaining part stays white. And no matter what I try I can not fill it . Or cut each part separately.

I am sure I could have added a shadow to a standard Bull pen font by now and cut that BUT its now bugging me as it MUST be possible . lol
<<

Graham Shand

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:10 pm

Use wire frame fill

Return to General Sign Topics

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad