Categories
  • TIMELINE

The Perils of being a Sign Maker!

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:14 pm

The Perils of being a Sign Maker!

Why is it that when you're out and about doing your job as a sign maker, every one seems to think you're fair game?

Yesterday I was surveying a shop and had crossed the road to take a photo of the frontage. One of the cars waiting for the trafic lights to change beeped his horn and started waving at me. Given that it was slightly drizzly and my glasses had steamed up I couldn't make out who it was but assumed it was someone who knew me, so I went over to the car and motioned him to roll down his window while I took off my glasses and peered into the car to see who it was. The guy, a stranger to me, looked a bit sheepish (and probably a bit scared) and muttered "do you want to take my picture"? On realising it was nobody I knew, I replied "oh, I see, you don't know me , you're just trying to take the (oh i swore !).."

Okay, I was a bit grumpy, it was wet, and I had cut my hand earlier, but why oh why do the general public feel obligated to try and make fun of a sign maker going about his daily business? (puppy-eyes)
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:21 pm

Try 30 odd years of:
'You'd want to have a steady hand'
'You wouldn't want to have had a few pints last night'
'Put that on the right side out'
'You made a mistake there'

all delivered as if the speaker had just thought it up on the spot and he/she was comedian of the year and just had to get you to turn your head to listen to their witty reposte. Thank The Great Signwriter In The Sky for the invention of headphones!! :evil:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:40 pm

you've got the phone number wrong!!!!. cracks me up everytime.....
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:22 pm

steve delany wrote:you've got the phone number wrong!!!!. cracks me up everytime.....

If we had a £1 for everytime someone said that..
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:23 pm

you've missed out 'what happens if I jog your ladder) I politely ablige and tell them exactly what will happen if they jog my ladder and they go away.
Alan D
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Alan Drury wrote:you've missed out 'what happens if I jog your ladder) I politely ablige and tell them exactly what will happen if they jog my ladder and they go away.
Alan D

Had that a few times...and had a few 'joggers'...less we say about what I shout at them the better.

And all the usual comedians...

"It's spelt wrong"
"It's squint"
"That's not my phone number"
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:25 pm

"Aye and there are two g's in bugger off"
http://pinterest.com/pin/13792342579096460/

- Used it myself more than once :)
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:14 pm

Harry Cleary wrote:Try 30 odd years of:
'You'd want to have a steady hand'
'You wouldn't want to have had a few pints last night'
'Put that on the right side out'
'You made a mistake there'

all delivered as if the speaker had just thought it up on the spot and he/she was comedian of the year and just had to get you to turn your head to listen to their witty reposte. Thank The Great Signwriter In The Sky for the invention of headphones!! :evil:

:D

Missed 2:

'That's not straight'
What's that stick for'
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:09 pm

Or.....

"Is this what you do for a living.."

NO, Idiot! I professionally breastfeed Smurfs 22 hours a day, and as soon as I get those suckling little blue buggers of my nipple I grab a paintbrush to vandalise a wall...

Is asking stupid retorical questions what YOU do for a living??
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Gert du Preez wrote:NO, Idiot! I professionally breastfeed Smurfs 22 hours a day, and as soon as I get those suckling little blue buggers of my nipple I grab a paintbrush to vandalise a wall...

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

And what about

"that's the wrong van you're fitting the graphics to...."
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

George Zerbino wrote:
Gert du Preez wrote:NO, Idiot! I professionally breastfeed Smurfs 22 hours a day, and as soon as I get those suckling little blue buggers of my nipple I grab a paintbrush to vandalise a wall...

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

And what about

"that's the wrong van you're fitting the graphics to...."

Erm, sometimes that ones true though :lol1:

Don't ask :wink:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:55 pm

While all the above is true, I find it amazing how many passers by find it interesting ,espciallly young kids, who are transfixed, by someone doing something arty, perhaps some of use have inspired some young folk to give a try for themselves, ah bugger it, more competitors LOL
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:05 pm

It allways amazes me how many oeople wish me good luck with my new venture and ask me when it is opening !!!
Do peeps really think that business owners fit there own signs and to do this they rock up with a van scaffolding and two guys wearing tee shirts etc with a sign company name all over them :lol1:

And yes warren i have started to signwrite the wrong van as well oops !
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:01 am

I used to do a lot of government work and almost every time someone would comment saying "Look at how they waste money, this is why we didn't get a raise!". I would also get a lot of
"You spelled that wrong"
"Where does my name go"
"Thats crooked"
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Yep, Brian Little knows all about fitting graphics to the wrong vehicle as well :lol1: :lol1:

He will never ask a receptionist which car is to be done again :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Had most of the comments above but the best one for me was after sicking a large block of text on the outside of a window on a town centre shop...as I finished pulling off the app tape, completely oblivious to the small crowd behind me...I got a round of applause :lol1: ...highly embarasing, but made my day :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Applying frosting to shop window, and old'boy outside decided test the smoothness of the frosting - run his hand across the pane we had just fitted the vinyl too (Vinyls inside of course) - gave us a big 'thumbs up' and walked off.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:05 pm

i was fitting some small routered letters to a wall in a lawyer's reception, using removeable white vinyl as a template.

While I was applying the vinyl, and trying to get the app tape off leaving the vinyl in place, a less than elegant process when the app tape has more stick than the removable, and in its current state it looked quite unpleasant.

the office manager walked past about a dozen times, looking increasingly concerned. Finally she asked

"Is this what we agreed to have on our wall?"

I had seen it coming, and had a few replies ready in my head, but I chose to keep away from the humour and explain instead - although I couldnt help laughing out loud.

Simon.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:38 pm

Would I go into Mcdonalds and tell you how to do your job !
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:56 am

aw Phil...sounds like you could've done with a big ((((((((hug))))))))))
:D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:44 am

up a mobile scissor lift (small jittery one) in the wind and didnt want to look down....and an old guy shouts up "is it not a bit windy for doing that? "do you have a safety thing?" "its a bit high"......i was polite and smiled down, but wanting to say "b@gger off do you think i want to be up here"!!! :roll: :lol1:

nik
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:19 pm

General public

Always enjoy watching the general public miss our signs saying we are working and
Walking straight into barrier tape or plastic abs barriers. Great whilst I have lunch scary when I am up the ladders!

Return to General Sign Topics