my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Help & Advice with my logo design please?

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:32 am

Help & Advice with my logo design please?

Hi everyone,

I want to sort out my own logo or fonts to use as im not struck on the one I currently have.

This is driving me up the walls. The company name is Graphix Station and am looking through hundreds of fonts and messing around with Corel and cannot design anything i like. I have deleted them all and am stuck. I need some help. Below is the one I use bhut want something maybe modern... aw I don't anymore.

Please...

Nicholas
Attachments
Logo.jpg
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:10 pm

MY 5 minute attempt.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-09-27 at 15.09.03PM.png
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:00 pm

If your stuck for ideas then why not have a read through all the other posts you have made about your logo Nicholas, if I remember correctly you were given some good ideas then.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi Nicholas I think Martin has a point many might be put from contributing due to previous efforts already made.

Harvey a fantastic effort in 5 minutes well done

As a general point for yourselves and anyone else reading this I think you will both find the more you put into this Forum the more you reap the benefits my only advice would be stick up a pic of yourselves also as that makes you more human and gets better responses

Well done again Harvey :thumbsup:

John :D
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Something a bit more contemporary.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-09-27 at 17.34.26PM.png
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:28 pm

My 5 mins worth.
Attachments
Graphix Station.PNG
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:25 am

Martin I understand what your saying and I have read through them but it still doesn't help me. I cant come up with anything that I like. This is the part of this job i don't like (designing for yourself)!!!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:10 am

Nicholas part of the problem I think is you dont know what you want, ie there is no brief if you can be more specific and narrow in your own mind what you want and articulate it then theres more chance of others being able to help. For what its worth I like Harveys first effort but would change the lower text font slightly I like the way the words sit on the letters.

Good to see your avatar BTW :D

Good luck I Look forward to some defined thoughts - John :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:13 pm

I won't offer up any doodles, as I have done this in the past for you.
But what I will offer is some advice.
Your name, with the X in Graphics, is kind of lost in the 80s.
Also...Vinyl Design Solutions?
Do you have to have the vinyl in there?
It seems limiting, and may even make some dumb people think you do vinyl flooring or some such.
Maybe by just changing the name to
Graphics Station
DESIGN SOLUTIONS
That might help it have a more concise look?
Love....Jill
PS
Harvey's efforts are fine but the light sources are a bit confusing on that first one.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Nicholas thats Great Advice from Jill re your branding/name - hadnt noticed the conflicting light sources either well spotted :)
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Nicholas.Gormley wrote:Martin I understand what your saying and I have read through them but it still doesn't help me. I cant come up with anything that I like. This is the part of this job i don't like (designing for yourself)!!!

Another reason why people won't want to help is that you don't bother even giving feedback on the ones that have been done for you, i.e Harvey has had a go twice and i had a small go but no feedback whatsoever? :(
And not forgetting Jill's very good advice.
Last edited by Glen Mathers on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Where's the "like" button?
:appl:
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Jill Marie Welsh wrote:Where's the "like" button?
:appl:

:D
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Dont worry Nicholas, you are not alone!!!! We have been having the exact same trouble with our own logo, we just cant decide/agree on what looks good anymore. Even considered getting someone else to design it
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:39 pm

Sorry I do appreciate peoples help and the advice I recieved in previous posts! I fell like im beating my head against a wall because I dont like anything that I come up with. I would like something quirky and modern and eye catching but I cant seem to piece anything together.

Reza I have thought of doing this but haven't because I want to do it myself but on this occasion I'm completely stuck!!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:24 pm

Nicholas, I wasn't having a go at you with the first post but having read through the whole post again it seems like your not listening to the advice that's being given to you.

You stuck up a picture, ok good start but then John asked for a design brief, so what do you ask your customers when you sit down with them if you have to design something, sorry quirky, modern & eye catching doesn't really cut it.

You have had some designs people have kindly done for you & someone mentioned no feed back on them so OK maybe it's not what you are looking for but people are not mind readers, what don't you like about them? What do you like about them? Maybe there is a design already done that you like but feel just isn't quite right, wrong font maybe or not the colours you would use or even like.

So try putting up a full design brief of what you are looking for, if your not sure what you should be asking then ask, you never know it might help you in the future to do better designs for your own customers. Take the time to look over the designs that have been posted already & thank those that have taken the time to reply. At the same time let people know what you like & are not happy with about them.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Martin wrote:Nicholas, I wasn't having a go at you with the first post but having read through the whole post again it seems like your not listening to the advice that's being given to you.

You stuck up a picture, ok good start but then John asked for a design brief, so what do you ask your customers when you sit down with them if you have to design something, sorry quirky, modern & eye catching doesn't really cut it.

You have had some designs people have kindly done for you & someone mentioned no feed back on them so OK maybe it's not what you are looking for but people are not mind readers, what don't you like about them? What do you like about them? Maybe there is a design already done that you like but feel just isn't quite right, wrong font maybe or not the colours you would use or even like.

So try putting up a full design brief of what you are looking for, if your not sure what you should be asking then ask, you never know it might help you in the future to do better designs for your own customers. Take the time to look over the designs that have been posted already & thank those that have taken the time to reply. At the same time let people know what you like & are not happy with about them.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:39 pm

have to agree with everyons comments, for others to help you have to help yourself first.
one of the greatest joys I love in this business is getting into a clients head and developing what they want and delivering it. the same thing happens with your own work too, get those designs in your head out....and be prepared for taking critisism on the chin, if you dont you could be waiting for a long time for "your perfect logo" :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Agree with what's been said. Here's another one for the pot.
Attachments
Graphic4.jpg
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:05 pm

Nice Harry, i like the colours, still no feedback from the person wanting a helping hand though? :-?
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:04 pm

Harry, thanks for the help. I'm just still not sure what I want. I will have more inpit to this in the coming days as I'm currently out of office at the minute. Thanks to every one trying to help me.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:42 am

This is something I have been messing around with but still not sure. WHat is anybody elses thoughts on this?
Attachments
logo.jpg
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:00 am

Nicholas. You are still not responding to those who are trying to help you !!!
You are still asking for feedback on your own designs yet not one comment on those that have spent time on your behalf.
If your brief is
I would like something quirky and modern and eye catching
then all the designs above are a step closer than your own.
say if you like any of them, or say what elements you may like even if none them are right. Even say why you don't like them. only by that process can anyone get close to helping you.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:34 am

Nicholas

Without reiterating the thoughts of everyone who has commented on this, I have never known a logo take so long.

My advice would be use a design company to do the job for you, plenty on the net.. Then it's done and all can move on.

I design the odd logo but would have no hesitation using an outside company to do mine IF I was struggling...which it is clear you are,

you seem immune to the great efforts people have put forward, I personally think Harry's fits your brief perfectly

Good luck and lets see it over and done with and on the side of your van
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:52 am

Nicholas.Gormley wrote:This is something I have been messing around with but still not sure. WHat is anybody elses thoughts on this?

I'll hvae a go at critiquing it Nicholas. But first I think you have to get a handle on what a brief actually is, because your effort has no relevance whatsoever to the one you gave earlier, 'quirky and eyecatching and modern'.
It might be useful to have a look online for tutorial sites that give a brief and then show it's implementation. They are plentiful out there.
The one you show looks tired and jaded instead of modern and eyecatching.
You need to do some study on kerning too, the 'station' looks squashed and tight and desperately looks like it wants to escape.
The colours are at the consevative end of the scale and the whole effect is about as far from 'quirky' as you could get.
If I saw it, I really wouldn't have any confidence that you would have 'design solutions' for me.
I hope you can take on board the spirit of the above. Don't run before you can walk, the customer (the high paying ones anyway) will suss you very quickly. If you want to provide what you are saying in your logo, do the learning.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:10 pm

Not to sound mean, but I think if you hired me to do your logo, you'd be like the client I've just dealt with.
They acted like they wanted modern/quirky but ho-hummed every attempt I tried.
They ended up going with something that used Copperplate Gothic.
They truly did not know what they wanted and ended up going the "safe" route.

I've noticed around 4 separate threads of yours all about your logo, some are more than a year old or better. I've not seen you offering much help to anyone on any forum, only taking. Just an observation, mind you.

If you can't do your own logo, you need to know enough about what you want to describe it to someone who can help you. If not, you need to learn more about design and layout/colors etc so that you can help yourself and also do a good job for your clients. Or you could simply hire a designer, there's no shame in that.

I wonder what you are like at a restaurant or when shopping for clothing or a car?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:52 pm

All submitted are good, but like Harry's suggestion. I have altered it just slightly and dropped "vinyl" as Jill suggested..
Attachments
graphix-harry.jpg
graphix-harry.jpg (24.15 KiB) Viewed 19696 times
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:07 pm

Quick go, and the tag line is a bit tounge in cheek.. :thumbup2:
Attachments
DS.jpg
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:24 pm

I really like Andrews version of Harry's design....just wondering what it would look like with the two greens swapped round...ie dark green outline
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Glenn Sharp wrote:I really like Andrews version of Harry's design....just wondering what it would look like with the two greens swapped round...ie dark green outline

This what you mean Glenn? (not sure of the secondary font 'my beautiful assistant' Andrew is using. :D )
Attachments
GraphixStation.jpg
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:54 pm

I like that one without the gradient.
James, pmsl here.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Jill Marie Welsh wrote:I like that one without the gradient.

For the 'beautiful Boss'! :D
Attachments
GraphixStation 2.jpg
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:27 pm

The last one does it for me...cheers Harry
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:12 am

There now put Harvey's highlight on the X and there you go.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Top Marks Harry, really like that.

what do you think Nicholas (?) (?) (?) ..... :roll:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Martin Cole wrote:Top Marks Harry, really like that.

what do you think Nicholas (?) (?) (?) ..... :roll:

You could be waiting quite a while :D :D
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Brings to mind this thread & Jill's comments from a few years back.

https://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.p ... hlight=pot

:lol1:

Just noticed - my 'few years' is nearly 6 years ago!
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:33 am

Cheers Harry, I think this is starting to grow on me especially with the Dark green outline. Thank you so much
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:51 am

You are welcome Nicholas. Here is the AI. I am expecting to see this on a fleet of vans, passing through* Monaghan! :D
It might be worth playing around with the small spaces formed at the crossing of the 'X' to make them more similar and symetrical.

* I stress, 'passing through' :o
Attachments
Graphix Station.ai
(26.7 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:58 am

:lol1: :lol1: :)
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Harry Cleary wrote:

Nicholas, make sure you wrap the bottle of whiskey well so that it doesn't break when you throw it into Harry's garden on the way through!! :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Neil Davey wrote:
Harry Cleary wrote:

Nicholas, make sure you wrap the bottle of whiskey well so that it doesn't break when you throw it into Harry's garden on the way through!! :D

:D :D :D
Bush into the bush, so to speak? He is an Antrim man after all! :D

<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:56 pm

whoa, whoa, whoa a minute......Harry and Andrews parts in this were incidental...I think it's clear that it was the colour change that brought this thread to a happy ending

cough..twelve pack of stella ..cough :D
Last edited by Glenn Sharp on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:17 pm

Glenn Sharp wrote:whoa, whoa, whoa a minute......Harry and Andrews parts in this were incidental...I think it's clear that it was the colour change that brought this thread to a happy ending

cough..tewlve pack of stella ..cough :D

:D :D Nicholas has left for the off licence!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Glenn Sharp wrote:whoa, whoa, whoa a minute......Harry and Andrews parts in this were incidental...I think it's clear that it was the colour change that brought this thread to a happy ending

cough..tewlve pack of stella ..cough :D

:D :D

That seems fair to me Glenn..

I think my words also aided the final outcome :-?

so a 4 pk of Babychams down to Essex aswell please
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:30 pm

Bearing in mind I managed to maintain a dignified silence without intervening with any of my unwelcome sarcasm...so I reckon I'm due a pint at least
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Can I just second Phill's comment please. Dignified, silence & Phill Fenton are words I thought I would never see in the same sentence :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:38 pm

:D :D :D
Attachments
Graphix Station2.jpg
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:32 pm

And I think that with all my help dating as far back as 2007 I am owed a Carlings or two.
But mind you only two because I can get a bit too friendly.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:05 pm

Jill Marie Welsh wrote:And I think that with all my help dating as far back as 2007 I am owed a Carlings or two.
But mind you only two because I can get a bit too friendly.

:roll: :roll:
Attachments
Graphix Station2.jpg
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:07 pm

:D :D briliant
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm glad this aint my round
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:30 pm

And good old Nicholas has been pretty accepting of our ribbing so if he ever comes over here I will buy him a Yuengling or an Iron City.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:49 pm

One Day maybe...just maybe we will all meet up...... and if we ever do 'The Pork Slaps' are on me

Attachments
Pork Slaps.jpg
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:05 pm

Martin - that could be interpreted badly :o

I would also like to say it was my idea for Nicholas to put up an avatar since when his responses have been much improved.
Attachments
guiness.gif
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:32 pm

what is the script in the tagline you've done?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:41 pm

John Harding wrote:Martin - that could be interpreted badly :o

I would also like to say it was my idea for Nicholas to put up an avatar since when his responses have been much improved.

Yes John but it was my post above yours that prompted you to post that in the first place :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Nicolas it would have been cheaper to have gone straight to a designer :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:36 pm

Noel Kearney wrote:what is the script in the tagline you've done?

I presume you are talking about the one in my first go Noel?

I think it's A&S Speedway, but I'll have to check on the work puter in the morning. I ain't going out in that deluge for man or beast! :D

Edit: Yep, that is what it is Noel.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:33 am

As it seems the Op's company is going in a different direction now...
Attachments
Gfx.jpg
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:23 am

Thought i would get in on this.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 10.22.42.png
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:52 am

Leave my logo alone! :( :D
Attachments
Graphix Station2.jpg
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:37 am

:lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:49 am

I think the only one who hasn't downloaded your logo Harry is Nicholas :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:16 pm

I just laughed into my pint. This thead is brilliant. *drink* :rofl:
If there is a tinny left over after the party, I bags it!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Daniel I'd like to schedule a servicing.
Better eat your Wheaties first.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:42 pm

Lol
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:26 pm

Not being one to miss an opportunity.......and seeing as it was I who suggested a tipple!!

Ahem........
Attachments
Unknown-1.jpeg
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:40 pm

thanks harry
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Does that mean Noel now owes Nicolas a drink ??? If Nicolas hadn't asked for help with his logo, Harry would not have done the design using the font that Noel want's to know the name of :o :o :o

This is getting far to confusing for me :roll: :roll: :cry:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:06 am

Martin wrote:Does that mean Noel now owes Nicolas a drink ??? If Nicolas hadn't asked for help with his logo, Harry would not have done the design using the font that Noel want's to know the name of :o :o :o

This is getting far to confusing for me :roll: :roll: :cry:

Attachments
Graphix Station_1.jpg

Return to Graphic Design Help