Categories
  • TIMELINE

Is anyone using Illustrator CS6?

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue May 15, 2012 11:58 am

Is anyone using Illustrator CS6?

Hi

I am currently running CS5. Has anyone upgraded and if so - is it worth it?

Thanks

John
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu May 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Haven't upgraded yet, but I'm torn between the subscription service or the normal method. When I do, it'll be more due to the fact files sent to us will be increasingly prepared in cs6 so I ll feel sort of compelled to upgrade. The present suite is so powerful, it's difficult to imagine many new features that will be useful to sign people
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri May 18, 2012 10:00 am

Still on CS4.......
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun May 20, 2012 7:37 pm

I am using Cs6 on an Imac 24 with 4gb

it seems very stable so far, not crashed once. Maybe a touch faster due to a complete re-write of the software. Most changes appear to be visual to the icons and floating windows etc. Blend on strokes works well.

Unless you have to, stay with CS5. No enough new stuff to warrant upgrade. But plenty of little improvements that keep cropping up as I work.

Photoshop Cs6 on my older Imac is struggling and crashing. 3d stuff and high power filters are not working well at all.

Just my opinions.

harv
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon May 21, 2012 1:26 pm

I signed up to the cloud subscription service which lets you download any of the CS apps on to 2 machines. I'm not a heavy AI user so not sure how much better it is than the previous version.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon May 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Jon Marshall wrote:I signed up to the cloud subscription service which lets you download any of the CS apps on to 2 machines. I'm not a heavy AI user so not sure how much better it is than the previous version.

Jon, 2 machines... so does that download one big installer or just certain apps?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon May 21, 2012 5:22 pm

A couple of things that annoy me on CS5 which, if they were fixed on CS6, would make me upgrade:

Is the visual font menu easier to navigate? On CS5 it seems clunky, does not scroll smoothly and puts things in a funny order.

Can you have a printer driver installed on the same PC? Now this may just be me but I have done a bit of research and it seems to be a common problem: If I install a normal desktop printer driver on the PC running AI, it takes about 30 seconds to save even a small file.

Have they fixed the problem where after using the ALT key to copy something, the menu stays highlighted?

Thanks

John
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon May 21, 2012 5:47 pm

Dave Rowland wrote:
Jon Marshall wrote:I signed up to the cloud subscription service which lets you download any of the CS apps on to 2 machines. I'm not a heavy AI user so not sure how much better it is than the previous version.

Jon, 2 machines... so does that download one big installer or just certain apps?

You download an application manager and then just click install on the app you want and it does it all with no further intervention. I have Photoshop, Illy, Muse and Acrobat installed on my Imac at home and PC at work so far.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:44 am

I asume you can't use both machines at the same time?

Illustrator CS6 being 64-bit seems kinda sexy. Means you can use all the RAM installed in your machine and not be limited to 4 GB per application anymore.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:32 am

I think you might be able to actually. I dont think it 'phones home' to check you aren't.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:38 am

i have run into 'phones home' issues before with other versions
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Jon Marshall wrote:I think you might be able to actually. I dont think it 'phones home' to check you aren't.

Think I phrased it badly.

Are you allowed to run two computers at the same time on one license?

At the moment we only have two computers that need Illy and PS and we have two seperate CS5.5 licenses. Would be a small money saver I think if one subscription could be used for two computers.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:48 pm

An adobe license normally is allowed to be installed on TWO computers (e.g. laptop & office PC) but the license doesn't allow them to be used by TWO different people.

I had issues of one Adobe program stopping when this is tried, Adobe software does talk to the mothership
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Yeah figured as much, no way of getting out of paying. ;)

As for the subscription thing I don't really see the need for us to use it. The Design Standard edition should be cheaper per year (asuming one upgrade per year), if the only programs you use are Illustrator and Photoshop. Maybe InDesign depending on what you need to do and maybe Acrobat though Illustrator can output multipage PDFs now so not sure why you'd need Acrobat.

For us upgrading is €600 per year for 2 computers. Not really a massive amount considering.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:04 pm

thread bump:

Well you can upgrade now or before 31st of august for £337 for the first year! (If you have a creative package already: cs3 or above)

anyone got any more comments on this way of buying your software?

James
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Illustrator and Photoshop both have 64bit versions... its fast!
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:17 pm

And with the programs being 64-bit they can use more then 3,6 gig memory aswell...
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Thread resurrection!

Have another mac and need to install Adobe, anyone offer some user advise on the cloud or should I just stick with a box if I can get one? Adobe states they cannot guarantee future upgrades or releases so buying a box now may mean having to subscribe again anyway if you want updates etc?

Anybody have any working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Cloud or is it just the same but a different way to install?

Cheers

Warren
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:58 pm

The main issue that I can see, is where we used to skip a generation or 2, that is no
longer possible. The first year is offered at a very good price, but thereafter, it is a
minimum of £564.00 every year, depending on when Adobe choose to increase the
subs.

My problem is that I don't need everything that they are offering. The only apps which
are useful to me are InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop & Acrobat, so I end up paying for
something I'll never use.

I reckon at some point, they will need to have a re-think. Noises coming out of Adobe
suggest that they may already be considering this.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:01 pm

That's what I felt, trying to lock everybody in and offer tons of Apps you'll never use to make it "appear" like a good option.

I try keep up with the latest package as I have a few agencies who use the latest and have already had a file saying it was made in a newer version on Illustrator and I'm on CS6 so it must be Illustrator CC which is the new version.

Regarding running on 2 computers I don't think the rules have changes, this is from their site;

Home use of Macromedia branded products

Notwithstanding the terms of the product license agreement included within a Macromedia branded product, when such a product is licensed through Adobe’s Open Options licensing program (not including Student Licensing, Site Licensing, and Term Licensing), the primary user of the computer on which such software is lawfully installed may install a second copy of such software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a computer located at his or her home, provided that the software on the portable or home computer is not used at the same time as the software on the primary computer.

So a multi seat Cloud license is a lot more so I think for now I may just stick with CS6 and only go to the cloud when necessary as I also won;t be using any of the cloud storage space etc, I don't even get 1mb internet speed at home so until that gets better I don't need it in the cloud so that benefit is useless to me right now.

I think the concept of Adobe Creative Cloud is good and is the way the market is going but a few years still to go before it takes hold, a bit like buying movies I suspect.

cheers Ian

Warren
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:39 pm

You could always move away from the darkside and start using the Corel Suite. Corel have decided not to use the cloud model and their software is available in box and you will save a fortune. :)
Alan D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Tried Corel when they had a Mac version & it was cack....and Windows 8.....noooooo.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:10 pm

No thanks, will stick with my mac and adobe :lol1:

Looks like I may go cloud, full version of ai is over £1k and cloud full version is about £38 a month, I'll give it a go on the one and see how it goes before doing the other 2 macs.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:38 am

Warren - I'm pretty sure that you can get it for less than that for the first year as an
upgrade from CS6. I had an email offering it for around £18 per month, including VAT,
but must be done by July 31st. Then you could use the boxed one on a different Mac.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:52 am

Jamire, the last Mac version of Draw was V8 if not earlier and it was cack on a MAC and to be honest I wasn't overly impressed on a PC. Newer versions of Draw X3 onwards and now X6 are vastly different bits of software. Anyway you pays your money and takes your choice.
Alan D
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:56 am

From what I understand Adobe will not release future versions boxed, they will only have the cloud version. At the moment the cloud version is the complete Adobe collection, so it's quite expensive. I'm guessing they will release smaller versions of the cloud, so you only get access to the software you need. (Design standard editions etc.)

But at the moment they're only trying to sell the complete cloud version, offering reduced price for a 12 month subscription.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:40 pm

i also read on their FAQ stuff that CS6 will be sold in box version 'indefinitely' ... right
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Ive got it and I'm not looking forward to the paying the full price as I have been on the first year price for nearly a year now.

I got an update to all the apps I currently have on my machine, illustrator cs6, photoshop cs6 and a few other this morning but curiously it also offered my a download of these again but now called illustrator cc and so on, which must stand for creative cloud but I wonder if there is any difference!
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:58 pm

James Martin wrote:Ive got it and I'm not looking forward to the paying the full price as I have been on the first year price for nearly a year now.

I got an update to all the apps I currently have on my machine, illustrator cs6, photoshop cs6 and a few other this morning but curiously it also offered my a download of these again but now called illustrator cc and so on, which must stand for creative cloud but I wonder if there is any difference!

The CC Version works better with their synced files apparently its setup so they can be got at a lot easier than the CS version but I've not tried it since it caused some problems with cutting manager starting so pulled it out and went back to CS version.

Just for your info I'm sure when I joined a few months back that its not only a 12 month subscription but at renewal in runs for another 12 months each time so the only time you can cancel without penalty is on the anniversary, so one to keep an eye on. I could have read it wrong or they might have changed it by now. I couldn't order it online as it kept trying to charge me Vat at the irish rate, had to get customer services to place the order so that it stopped charging me vat I couldn't claim back.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Alan Drury wrote:Anyway you pays your money and takes your choice.
Alan D

Problem is, we aren't signmakers per se, most of the artwork is supplied to us, and it
is always in an Adobe format of one type or another. I can't recall the last time a job
was supplied as a CorelDraw file. I do however, think that if Corel got their act in order
and released a Mac version, they would steal customers from Adobe due to the policy
that Adobe have now undertaken.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Anyone tried using there cutting software plugin with illustrator cc yet?
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:10 pm

James Martin wrote:Anyone tried using there cutting software plugin with illustrator cc yet?

Yes and it didnt work lol

The graphtec V3 installed fine as a plugin to it but on running Illustrator it just ended up in a crash loop until you removed the plugin, V2 would not install at all for the CC version but I would expect graph tech to release new versions for it over time.

Kevin
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Cheers Kevin

I want to do a system restore and I'm worried I cant reinstall cs6 if/when I realise I cant use cutting master on it.

Pain in the back side, lol !

Ive emailed Graphtec to see what there saying.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:25 pm

James Martin wrote:Cheers Kevin

I want to do a system restore and I'm worried I cant reinstall cs6 if/when I realise I cant use cutting master on it.

Pain in the back side, lol !

Ive emailed Graphtec to see what there saying.

So your on the new online version already ? Its a bit awkward but you basically have to go to the Adobe web site while logged Not the Creative Cloud App Chooser on your machine and find the CS version and hit install, Ive got both versions installed on both my machines, you just need to do it CS , Graphtec drivers, CC version and you should be fine.

Let me know if you get a problem with the CS version I might be able to help you with it if you get stuck installing.

Kev
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:34 pm

At the moment I'm using cs6 but want to reboot my computer from factory setting.

Am waiting for an adobe chat rep to talk to me.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:37 pm

OK Well Like I said if you get your restore done and need a hand getting the adobe sorted let me know.

Kev
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi Kevin

Just cut with CC using this version of cutting master on a graphtec.

http://downloads.graphtecgb.co.uk/softw ... D_V194.zip

Hopefully it keeps working.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanks James, much appreciated.

Kevin
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Thought I hadn't missed it, that version is not out for mac yet, lets hope they are not far behind, will keep watching now i know its about.

thanks

Kevin
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Im trying to install finecut on Illy CC and keep getting error loading plugins??

Anyone had the same experience?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:44 am

You need to upgrade FineCut to 8.3.0 for Illustrator CC. Nothing prior to this will work.
You also need a previous copy on CD for the update, but you probably already know
this.

Return to Adobe Software