Categories
  • TIMELINE

Ipad2 64gb or 'other' tablet??

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:02 am

Ipad2 64gb or 'other' tablet??

I'm now looking to get one as its a pain to carry the laptop for the sake of most mobile needs, I have an iphone4 so I'm familiar with apple products but was wondering if some of the alternatives are better.

For eg, do Corel do a 'lite' version for android? Adobe cs3 for iPad? Basically looking for which can potentially do the most for me, good battery life etc.

I've not decided whether to go contract or buy outright, will prob buy 'used' if outright so anything current / under a year old can be considered.

All opinions gratefully received!

Hugh
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:33 am

ipad 2 for me, excellent piece of kit, 32Gig is enough.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:38 am

iPad 32Gig, wireless, 3G.

Simples!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:00 am

Cheers guys, unless a big argument comes up for something else I'll be looking at iPad.

32gb- would like more ideally but if it's that much cheaper on price I may do that. It'd be nice to store photos and music on it so bigger is better in that respect!
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:34 am

the iPad 3 is due for release in march so may be worth hanging on
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:34 am

I went for the Motorola Xoom.......£329 for 32Gig and a two year warranty (I thought that was an absolute steal)

I wouldn't class myself as a serious user but I've been delighted with what it can do
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:49 am

Asus Transformer! It has a dedicated detachable keyboard! If i had the choice again i would not get an ipad again!

Brilliant at everything it does but typing on it is a total nightmare. you have to hold it up so you can see it and then you have to try and type, its impossible to reach all the keys without continually changing your grip, your arms and hands soon get very sore!

The transformer has the best of both worlds! Not everyone will agree but if i were you i would definitely check if out before parting with my cash!

It also has usb ports and a SD card reader.

I also dont need 3G as i can tether any wireless device to the 3G on my samsung galaxy! Not sure if thats an option with you but again its somthin worth thinking about as theres a big premium for the 3G version! No speed issues with it whatsoever either!

Ryan
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:05 am

yes hold up until apple announce the rumour in march

but

if u got an iphone4, then you already got an ipad.. they are same
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:33 pm

thanks guys, food for thought,

Being a fan of panasonic goods I thought i'd see what they make - if anything.

I found this.. the toughpad,

http://www.panasonic.com/business/tough ... videos.asp

looks great, probably very expensive (like toughbook laptops) but in our line of work it's gotta be a safer bet when constantly carryying the thing around on sites etc??

can't find anywhere selling them though, UK or US, so no idea on price.

Dave,
I know the Ipad won't do much that the iP4 doesn't already do but, trying to show a customer a picture from my sebsite on the iphone is a right pain, not only is it small but the little pop up image viewer never sits in the iphone screen!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Dave Rowland wrote:yes hold up until apple announce the rumour in march

but

if u got an iphone4, then you already got an ipad.. they are same

Mines not can't make calls from the ipad. :(
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:15 pm

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 for showing artwork etc to customers.
The display is simply stunning, has a camera and is absolutely on a par with the ipad. So far everyone has said "oh you've got an ipad".
It was the same price mind but being Android is not confined to what Apple want to sell you or let you use. Plus of course all the apps I get for my Android phone I can use on the tablet (as with iphone/ipad but with fewer limitations).
I use Signlab so a Windows PC is a must, otherwise I might long ago gone the Mac/iphone/ipad route, plus I already have a mountain of Windows software and starting again isn't an option. No I don't want to use emulation software.
I would never expect to do artwork in front of a customer with this, for that a 17" laptop is used.
However, it holds a photo bank of previous job photos, fixtures, fittings, a-boards etc.
I can also draw up signs at the office, go to site, take a photo then do the overlay there and then.
One recent customer I called on, I photographed the proposed site on the way in with the Tablet, then used it to discuss the job. Saves the client having to go out in the cold and stand staring at his shopfront!
Using a tablet has made showing artwork and selling so much easier as the pictures are top quality hi res, easy to view and the unit compact.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Thank you Peter,

Rgds

Hugh
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:26 am

I-Pad 2 very handy for storing and showing clients mock ups, previous work etc, apps for vinyl colour samples, paint matching, font book, my measures pro, pdf pro, google maps. oh and find my phone.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:27 am

iPad 1 user here but only for another two weeks until the release of the 3. I think using iPads or Android tablets is down to personal taste. There will always be advantages with one over the other. I go with all mac stuff but only in last 3 years. My reason, I like the more secure apple software where everything is vetted in the app store. No worries about what works or doesn't or security issues. If I wanted the open Android system I scan simply jailbreak the Apple stuff. But they're all great for showing off our portfolios and at the end of the day, any device that makes a sale that bit easier, has to be good

Return to Computers