my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

One way vision fitting advice

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:54 am

One way vision fitting advice

I need to apply some printed one way vision material to the rear window of a Clio. The edged are slightly curved. Can anyone tell me the best way to fit ie wet or dry and how to make sure it sticks well around the edges?
Many thanks
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:59 am

Definitely not wet.

Its quite easy to fit, a bit of heat should help if its slightly curved.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:30 pm

As Jon says definitely Dry.
As there are lots of holes it is very easy to stretch to shape around simple curves without the creases you might expect.
It is a problem to get a good edge seal due to the many small points you end up with after trimming to shape. I have found this a problem and even if you do get it to stick well at first after a few months the edges start to lift.

So make sure you clean the glass well before fitting and initially fit oversized, then cut the print to size on the glass. A sharp new blade should not scratch the glass.
You could then possibly try covering the edges with an Edge Seal Pen, but I have not had much success with this.

I used this on a customers car and one of my previous vans and the edges did look a bit frayed after a while.
The customer came back for a refit after a couple of years. The edges didn't look too bad but they found the print had become scratched and faded from the rear wipers. It is possible to get the print laminated which would help this and also stop water filling in the holes.
Another way is to get the print onto Interior Contravision to fit inside the vehicle but this may cause more fit problems as you would want to shrink the fit rather than stretch it around the curves. Especially if it is an old style Clio with the very curved portion at the top.
All more expensive options though!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:14 pm

Re: One way vision fitting advice

Nick Tunstill wrote:I need to apply some printed one way vision material to the rear window of a Clio. The edged are slightly curved. Can anyone tell me the best way to fit ie wet or dry and how to make sure it sticks well around the edges?
Many thanks

Use a cast one way vision and it will make fitting very easy. Laminated will be easier again.

Dry only,

Over cut the design by 100mm so you have some play and you can handle it without leaving marks on the glue that will be seen.

Do the flat area first, then you can work toward the edges and heat up any spears that form.

Use a foam squeegee and use good overlap motions.

Edge sealer will help with sealing the edge, or push it under the rubber if you are able.

Heat the completed sign again once the window id finished. This will help bond the glue. Tell your client to not wash the vehicle for 3 days, more if it is cold weather.

Hope that helps anyway
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Many thanks for those tips, extremely useful!
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:52 pm

The other reason to laminate is to eliminate the possibility of dirt ingress also when it rains if there is no lamination the water will fill the holes and you can't see clearly out
For all the extra it costs it's well worth while.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:12 am

Nick I always cut the one - way a few mm smaller than the laminate, so the laminate sticks to the glass all round and protects the edges of the one - way. Never had a lifting problem that way.
You do get a clear margin all round though, which some might object to.
Simon
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:44 pm

I presume there is a specific laminate for each one way vision material?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:32 pm

cast for cast, polymeric for polymeric, and monomeric for monomeric.

You can use a better laminate for a lower grade OWV, but never go backward (ie a good quality OWV and a lower quality laminates) Just make sure whatever you use is optically clear, not a standard all purpose laminate.

Return to Vehicle Wrapping