Categories
  • TIMELINE

New Signs Spotted

<<

fluidedge

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:19 am

New Signs Spotted

On a very important job yesterday, a trip to the McDonalds up the road to return with feedbags for our happy band of workers as we moved to the new unit.

As we pulled into the retail park we both spotted the new Halfords Signs.

Our jaws dropped.

Not very often that me and Col agree on design matters but this one nearly put us off our Big Tastys.

Someone somewhere has paid an awful lot of money for this redesign.

Glad it wasn't us.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:11 am

gotta pic mate? :wink:

if you tried to load one already the uploading fascilites wont work till tommorrow evening :(
<<

Lorraine Buchan

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:01 am

Is this the orange and black one??

If so how about the Comet one Black and yellow?
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:20 am

I see what you mean, bizarre :o

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Martin C

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:32 am

There's nothing hacks me off more than seeing the work of an overpaid 'design' team coming up with corporate identities that catch people's attention because 'they're so quirky, ok yar!'

In my advertising days I really couldn't seperate the creative tossers from the client tossers once they got on this holier than thou..........'you just don't see it, do you Martin?' wavelength! I never did, but did see a few creatives packing their bags :lol:

There are strokes of genius, and Toys 'R' Us is a shining example but a wonky 'o' and sawn down 'h' smacks of creative constipation and I for one would dearly love to 'service' the creator of this signmaking masterpiece with an RS2000 exhaust pipe, baffles and all! :evil:
<<

fish90

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:38 pm

Less is more?

This new halfords sign (sorry I can't get the o crooked) is yet an other example of the concept being better than the work.

I can imagine the meeting that went on as the design company sold the F&B's of this 5 minute job.

"...so you can see how by doing very little it's less complex yet at the same time we show how modern you are whilst not offending your older customers with something so new they get scared and run off. The 'o' has be leaned forward to show your a forward thinking company and I'll think you'll agree, it looks a little bit like the whel of a fast cartoon car, blah, blah, blah..."

The best design is almost art. I agree the Toys 'r' Us is wonderful but they've already done it and now it's something new that is needed.

Anyone of us on the board could have done better than this for the thousands that were proberbly spent.

But how do we get these wonderful contracts...

...we're a little short on brown paper envelopes at the moment so if anyone has any spare...?
<<

Martin C

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:27 pm

"...so you can see how by doing very little it's less complex yet at the same time we show how modern you are whilst not offending your older customers

'Where's me rifle.!' :D (:) (:) (:)

I think you've missed the point of this sign completely. The side panel montage simulates confusion yet the eye is drawn toward the sympathetically arranged glow of the orange main section leading the eye and the prospect to the store entrance. The sawn down 'h' symbolises the dawn of a new horizon, space for aggrandizement. The'o' suggests endearment, like grandfather, head on one side listening intently to every word of his siblings suggesting suitability for children, and old codgers!

Basically, 'we sawed a bit off the h, to give the typesetters something to do, stuck a bit of digital either side as it's the in thing at the moment, used orange paint because we just lost the Sainsbury's contract and the 'o'.....that was just a (oh i swore !) up by the signfitter! :D (hot) (hot)
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:06 pm

I did a mock-up of this sign, but ya can't post stuff in this forum.
How'd ya do it, Dewi? You are amazing.
In my version, it says
vOmit
Cuz that's what the thought of a designer
getting paid big bucks for that "logo" makes me feel like doing!
Love...Jill :oops:
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:14 pm

I did the naughty thing that Robert told me not to :oops: :oops: :oops:

I used my own hosting space and forwarded the image from there :oops:

I keep meaning to PM Robert about the forums that don't let you post but with the auctions (cracking job btw mate) I didn't want to hassle him again (already asked about the image posting in Good, Bad and Ugly forum :P ) As the saying goes, a picture can speak a thousand words, and no doubt facilities will be put in place when a spare minute is to be had.

Be at £2004 in no time at all :D

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:17 am

Your wish is my command Jill :wink: Nipped to Halfords earlier today with a bit of vinyl and kindly adjusted the sign to the correct spelling, complete with cut-down V....

:wink:

Cheers, Dewi
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:21 am

THANK YOU :lol: THANK YOU :lol: THANK YOU
You are sooo accomodating Dewi my friend.
That is even better than the cruddy one I did!
I am not used to folks doing requests for me!
Love...JILL *rofl*
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:23 am

Steady on! You're not getting me in a mini-kilt!!!! :o :o :lol: :wink:

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Dave Bruce

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:16 am

See, this design thing has now gone to Robs head, he has moved the forumindex box just slightly above the others! This ofcourse is to entice you to peruse the other forums before leaving the site, cunning one Rob.

Dave :lol:
<<

coolinshot

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:34 am

"........The sawn down 'h' symbolises the dawn of a new horizon, space for aggrandizement. The'o' suggests endearment, like grandfather, head on one side listening intently to every word of his siblings suggesting suitability for children, and old codgers!......."
I'm impressed Martin you sure you're a sign maker and not a poet / philosopher.
We used to produce "Post Office" signage until they re-branded and produced a spec sheet impossible to produce the signs to. I pointed this out to them but to no avail - since then we have seen new PO signs which don't come anywhere near to the standard - white, digitally printed vinyl stuck onto powder coated panels.
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:40 am

Amazing isn't it, I have worked in-house for Dixons (Currys, PC World & The Link...same bunch) for 8 years now producing point of sale and other nonsense they think sells more TVs. They have got a creative team in-house of about 25 freelance designers costing them between £18 per hour and £30 per hour, they are paying these people day in day out to just do artworks following a design. (you can see why I have cut my days down in there, talk about depressing)

But with all that talent in the building they still went out to the big design agencies for the design work (at least I cant take credit/blame for the point of sale design :wink: ). They would fork out thousands for one sample piece of point of sale that the artworkers would make fit the hundreds of other sizes around the design, which was usually terrible.

I often asked why they did that when they are paying people in-house but not using them properly. Never got a straight answer but after watching these account managers in action I decided its because they got to go into London and get taken to lunch, get buttered up and treated like royalty so they would hand the design work over for extortionate amounts.

Even when Dixons Head Office got rid of 350 people last year in cut backs this practise still went on.

Thats why us smaller guys never get the contracts, cos we dont spend most of the money we make making these geeks feel special.

phew im going to lay down now.
<<

Pryam Carter

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:14 pm

I sense a little flirtation here Dewi. :wink:
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:22 pm

Me? Flirtatious? :oops: :oops: :oops: Whatever would Mrs Dewi say? :wink:

Cheers, Dewi
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:01 am

Now Now Billy.
It is me who is the flirt.
Poor Dewi is just a helpless victim.
He just humors me because I am old and pathetic.
I appreciate the time he put into changing that sign just for me.
I flirt with everybody!
Just my nature.
My mom is even worse.
BTW....you are a cutie too! :wink:
Love...JILL
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:10 am

Old and pathetic? No way - we all love your flirting - You're a star. :oops: :D :D
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:19 am

Helpless victim :lol: :lol: :lol: I feel all warm and fuzzy now :D And I think we had the discussion on age once before :wink:

Btw how did the meet go at the weekend? Or do I have the wrong weekend (?) :-? :o :roll:

Cheers, Dewi
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:27 am

Wrong weekend.
This weekend is Canada, and I am actually helping to paint a 10'x30' billboard. Not a meet tho.
Next weekend is the Dixie meet.
When is the UK sign show?
Thanks for all the compliments! :oops:
My brother Kevin still tells me I'm ugly every time he sees me!
There is a God, tho...his daughter looks just like me.
Love...JILL
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:42 am

How can you be ugly, you have Mrs Dewi's eyes and a smile that brightens the day :D (I do have a bucket on standby should you require it :wink: )

Canada, yep, you did say... my memory again :D SignUK meet is at the end of the month, recieved my ticket today. I was all excited til I saw it was just my name, my business name and a barcode :(

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Pryam Carter

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:16 pm

Oh my god, Mr Right Signs is in the act now.
You have competition Dewi.
I think Rob is going to have to set up another forum for the flirtatious members.
Any ideas what he could call it?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:23 pm

"GRAPHIC" discussion?
love
"miss popular" (hot)

Return to General Sign Topics