my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Data Protection Scam

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm

Data Protection Scam

I got an official looking envelope today going under the title "data protection agency" and a threatening letter demanding £135.00 or else.
This imediatley raised suspicion especially as it had no phone number.
I have checked this out and it is a scam so watch out.
The address of the one I got is
DPEA
Sparth House
49 Heath Street
Rochdale

I do believe there are other addresses being used so be careful.

Thanks to Graham for link below to the correct info on data protection.

http://ico-cms.amaze.co.uk/DocumentUplo ... 20scam.pdf
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:30 pm

I vote we have some fun at these peoples expense. :evil:

I've already sent them an unstamped letter telling them what I think of them. If we can get enough people sending them back unstamped letters they'll have to pay a fortune in postage charges to discover whether or not they are being sent cheques or insults (My guess is they'll pay the postage in the hope that they get a few cheques back).

Well that's the best I can come up with, anyone else got a better idea?

Unstamped letters and insults please to:-

DPEA
Sparth House
49 Heath Street
Rochdale

(Don't forget to leave off the stamp) :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:35 pm

Are you sure they have to pay the postage for unstamped letters Phill?

If you're sure, I'll print off 100 copies of the link regarding the Data Protection Scam and post them off :wink: I'd love to be a fly on the wall as they pay out £22 for that!!! :D

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm

They pay more than the price of a second class stamp - they pay the post office a handling charge as well so it usually costs 50p or more to collect an unstamped envelope adressed to you.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:00 am

So it would be more effective to send one or two every few days, as not to raise suspicions that they are bogus replies. If they only collect ten, its a little pay back for every company they have taken money off under false pretences.

I can't believe the REAL data protection agency can not do anything legally about this. As if business owners do not have enough to worry about.

Cheers, Dewi
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:20 am

Suggest a few of us on the receiving end of these letters should call Trading Standards in Rochdale tomorrow on 01706 864186.

After a few complaints they'll HAVE to investigate these fraudsters.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:42 am

Thats the whole point though Chris, they've recieved in excess of 2000 complaints already! Even if the entire membership of uksignboards sent them letters, rang them up, it is doubtful they would act. Unfortunately we live in society that rewards the dishonest, so like Phill has implied, I say fight fire with fire. Mail Bomb the unfortunate souls! When they've had enough of that, maybe a few personal calls to their offices may do the trick. Its scams like these that can seriously damage businesses that are not aware of them and simply pay the £135. Seriously annoying :evil:

Sorry I may come across a little peeved with this, it just annoys me when I see ppl who work so hard unknowingly giving cash to someone who justs writes a well-worded letter! I could give them a well-worded letter or two!!!!!!!

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:44 am

In my experience trading standards have no clout whatsoever and are a complete waste of time. If they were any good, we wouldn't have to put up with fax scams, email scams and mail scams in the first place. A waste of taxpayers money if you ask me - too busy trying to persecute Hoover and the Ford motor company while the real villians are running riot in this country :roll:

I've contacted them on at least two occasions in the past when I've come across villains running companies - they just pay lip service but do absolutely nothing to stop these people.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:09 am

I got an unstamped letter from one of my customers with a cheque in it, it cost me £1.20 to get it.

I rang the customer and asked him if he was happy with the work I had done and he got all emmbarassed and blamed his sectrtary as she posts the mail. Turned out it was an oversight and he was round with the £1.20 latter on in the day.

I seem to be one of the only ones who haven't had one of these letters, you watch now Iv'e said that I expect I will get one in the next few days !!!
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:59 am

yea its worth a few quid for some envelopes just for the laff, im gonna do a hundred as well

Paul D
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:00 am

Hi All,
theres a cricular going around at present that pertains to be collecting your fee for data protection, these are not genuine, mine latest is from Rochdale but there are several addresses.

Having spoken to the tradiind standards, please report to them if you receive one, also send it to
'MISLEADING ADVERTISING TEAM
THE OFFICE OF FAIR TRADING
FLEETBANK HOUSE
2-6 SALISBURY SQ
LONDON
EC4 8JX'
with a cover letter requesting they use this & your name in anyway to put a stop to these scams.

DO NOT PAY ANYTHING, DO NOT SEND BACK.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:11 am

How much evidence do the trading standards need before they get off their fat arses and do something about these sorts of things for goodness sake!!

I am so ( oh i swore ) off at having my fax machine tied up with junk faxes, my email cluttered up with offers to increase the size of my manhood (maybe not a bad idea?...) letters like this and phone calls offering to cut my phone bills/eletricity/gas bills that I could scream.

AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats better :oops:

Not to mention parcel delivery services :roll:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:15 am

"How much evidence do the trading standards need before they get off there fat arses and do something about these sorts of things"

They're civil servants aren't they? Need I say more?

:(
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:23 am

I had a call today from someone telling me that I had agreed to advertise on their poster/year planner and that they wanted the 250 quid. She got quite aggressive when I told her to sod off. I've had about 5-6 of these calls in the last 2 weeks. They 'say' that it's for charity but can never tell me exactly which ones benefit when asked.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:56 am

big g.
we get these calls about a year planner/diary/drectory etc. all the time. like you, theyve even said we have agreed to advertise with them and now they want the money.
seeing as there are only 2 of us here at the shop, we know whats going on there 100% of the time.

we now have a policy of not talking to these people, wether its changing over to another supplier ( which we did do once, more trouble than the few £`s you save) or these planer/diary people. as soon as they go into their little sales pitch, we cut them down straight away, with "NOT INTRESTED" and put the phone down.

beware, we have also had personal callers coming to the shop, trying to sell you cheaper electricity/charity planners.

these people make me mad too. timewasters. (:) (:)
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:22 am

Andy,

We used to get those calls. I think that they all come from the same place because once I had got the message across the calls all stopped at once and I've not been bothered since.

Becky,

I got caught by one of these cheaper phone cold callers about a year ago. He bombarded me with figures and don't ask me why but I signed up and as soon as he walked out the door I regretted it thinking that I should know better.

However, when the bills started to roll in I had a pleasant surprise and we are now paying about £80 per month instead of the £650 a quarter we used to pay BT.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:15 pm

I'm on the Telephone Preference Service which is free and it works!

Used to get loads of faxes then went onto fax preference service

Was very surprised to see the unsolicited faxex rapidly decrease

Occasionally I'll get a call from guys doing tele sales
I simply say I'm listed on Telephone Preference Service
That normally does the trick

John
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:23 pm

john i found this service very good also! annoying faxes stopped after a few weeks, so glad they have gone!! so thanks to lorraine who mentioned the company a while back!!

Nik
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:44 am

I'm also on the telephone preference service which has reduced the number of telesales calls I get - but has not eliminated them completely.

To be honest I would rather the phone companies would provide a facility to reject any incoming calls who's numbers are with-held. They can do this (this service is available in America) but don't because they get too much revenue from call centres that oppose this - hence the telephone preference service which is set up to pacify us :roll:

Yes I know many legitimate callers also with hold their numbers, but I do not want to talk to anyone who is not open with me about who they are and where they are calling from. If they ring my number and discover they can't get through because I will not accept incoming calls from with held numbers - if they really want to speak to me they can "un- with hold" their number quite easily.

let's face it - the crooks aren't going to respect any telephone preference service anyway.

By the way - it's that time of year again. Expect the "Policeman's Federation Diaries" salesmen to be knocking on your door again soon (In case you didn't know it's yet another scam!!)
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:57 am

Talking about scams, here's another one we're being set up for at the moment:-

Have you noticed how much talk there is in the media (Newspapers and Television) about the levels of obesity in this country. This is all "spin" being orchestrated by our government before they impose VAT on Confectionary. The theory is we will accept VAT being added to confectionary as we will have been programmed to believe that obesity is an epidemic overwhelming this country and something needs to be done about it (in much the same way as we accept taxes on alcohol and cigarrettes) The truth is we're all getting fatter because we're much richer than our parents were and can afford to eat more! Also, because we all have cars, none of us bother walking to the shops any more to buy our Mars Bars.

Don't forget you heard it here first - VAT on sweets at the next budget :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:01 am

No I didn't know Phill about the Policeman's Federation Diary scam. I truly thought it was for real. Thankfully I haven't subscribed. Boy do they really make you feel like a skin flint. The guy who phoned me was really a persistent fellow.....made me feel real bad after the call

I am with you too on the number witheld. That really annoys me that they have the cheek to phone your number yet withold theirs.

What I have found more recently is that I have occasional calls from abroard!!! American voices! Indian voices!

Is this yet another way that telemarketing is getting around those listed with Tel preference??

I have noticed that most tele sales calls have a slight pause when you answer the phone. They've contacted you: You say 'Hello' but somehow you have to wait a sec for them to reply!! This forearms me to take the defensive stance and I quickly deal with the call with an abrupt tone.

watch out for this pause - you'll see what I mean

John
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:06 am

I hear what your saying Phill

VAT on confectionery - sounds ludicrous

Of course there is VAT in some sweets already - Wine Gums! :lol:

Kinda surprising the Government haven't taxed them yet

John
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:11 am

I'm serious about VAT on confectionary - how else are we going to pay for the war in Iraq :o

Wait and see if I'm wrong :-?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:25 am

Oh I don't doubt it for a minute Phill
If they put VAT on the essential commodity of fuel, which for pensioners is not an option, then they can do anything

Double taxing is the latest craze!

The Government tax you for having your car on the public highway and the local council tax you for having it on the same road!!!

I have to pay £85 a year for a permit to park my car in a zone. No guarantee that I have space. I left my car two doors away from house on a double yellow just for a tick to unload the shopping but absent mindedly forgot to move it. My next door neighbour knocks at my door at 11:00pm Friday night to tell me they have clamped my vehicle. Cost me £115 to declamp. I couldn't park in the street where I have paid to park.

I have to obtain visitors permits at a cost for people to visit the family

now there's a scam - unlawful exploitation - daylight robbery - simply because the council have squandered millions of the rate payers money and cannot account for it

John
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:51 pm

Phil,

You can block withheld numbers, but as far as i know you can only do this once you have received a call from them. There is of course a fee for this Service. The reason the number is withheld so often is that most call centres don't allow incoming calls, hence they will always call you back!

John your mention of the silent pause - the call centres have an automatic dialing once connected the sales person picks up at their end, drives me mad as you say hello and get silence or background noise, on occasions i have overheard the person on th ned talking about their night out before picking up. I now recognise this and put the phone on secrecy and leave them to 'hello' 'hello' after all it's their phone bill (not good for business though as it can block your line).

If it's a call at home, my first question is, what did you say your name was? and whats the company called? Then i procceed to tell them my number is listed ex-directory, request that they remove my details from their database, and if i get any further contact from them i will will start legal proccedings.

I also often ask who's calling, then if it's telemarketing, i tell them the person they are after no longer lives here and if it's important to post them a letter as they have a re-direction service.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:20 pm

Totally off subject, but welcome back Lorraine... haven't seen you in ages!! :o :D

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:17 pm

A publishing firm, that duped businesses into buying advertising space in regional editions of an "Annual Guide" by telling them that they would be helping children's charities, was wound up on the 19th of March following a DTI investigation. Sporting Link Limited of Manchester actually only donated £5,500 - less than 1% of its turnover - to charities. It's supposedly "regional" guides also covered areas as wide apart as Yorkshire and Cornwall and the DTI found no evidence that any had been distributed.

Enquiries about the company should be addressed to the Insolvency Service, Public Interest Unit North, PO Box 326, Boulton House, 17-21 Chorlton Street, Manchester M60 3ZZ. Tel" 0161 934 4182.

From FSB Voice of Business July/August 2004
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:28 am

well at the moment we get at least one a day but usually two...asking if want to use bt broadband,and cheaper electric ,water coolers, cheaper fuel, and my pet hate mobile phones me and the wife are on 3 so we get 750 mins a month for £35 ,so these other companys phone up with these once in a lifetime offers and we usually stop them dead in their trax,,,sometimes we let them waffle on until theve finished then just tell them,,,,or we tell them to go fourth and mutltiply as this is a buisness line and they are preventing our customers getting hold of use,,,,u can with bt now have an option so we been told to stop reciveing any calls that have a withheld number,,,,which has its good and bad points... (hot) (hot)

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat