my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Best Vinyl and application tape for painted walls

<<

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:22 am

Best Vinyl and application tape for painted walls

Hi all

Ive been looking around and sampled a couple of vinyls and app tapes for painted walls which has been quite difficult since the vinyls have been sticking to the app tape and not the walls and sometimes the vinyl pulls the paint off the wall.

is the problem the app tape? Should I use a low tack tape. Can anyone recommend a tape.

Ive read about R Tape Conform with a rubber adhesive could work, but this is a medium tack tape which ive tried from another brand and the vinyl still sticks to it and not the wall

All help and thoughts are welcome.

Cheers
Martin
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi Martin,

I use low tack clear app tape for sticking tricky vinyl onto painted walls. The biggest problem is whatever app tape you use, you will have to peel off very slowly and as you are pulling the app tape back you are almost rolling it with your fingers, always using pressure to keep the vinyl on the wall. Gloss paint should let the vinyl stick better, but the matt is a b!*ch! Patience is the key.

Easy enough after a bit of practice.

Good Luck
Andy
<<

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Low tack tape

Hi Andy

Thanks for your interest.

I used a low tack paper tape today but the vinyl would not peel off the backing paper. Do you think a clear low tack tape would work better?

Cheers
Martin
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:50 am

Hi Martin,

Before applying it to the wall, give the backing paper a last going over with your squeegee to make sure the adhesive makes good contact with the vinyl then turn your piece over so the app tape is to the wall to start it. fold over your backing paper about 3 inches to start and line up your graphics. press on the first piece the fold back your backing paper to release the vinyl.

Now once you have applied it all to the wall you have to start at the top corner and start on your app tape coming off. fold it back on itself to begin and always putting pressure just behind the fold firmly and slowly pull it back (almost rolling it back over the app tape), remember to watch for when the graphic is showing as you will have to push the graphic to the wall and squeegee over it to make adhesion to the wall. This is because there is not enough contact with the wall and adhesive.

You will sometimes have to hold the graphic with one hand while puling the app tape off until so much of the graphic adheres, keep rolling back slowly and going over the graphic as you proceed. Should be ok.

Sorry if I have put this in too much detail, but hopefully helps.

Andy
<<

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:53 am

Thank Andy

Thanks Andy, more detail the better.
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi Guys,

Oracal wall art is designed for exactly that , we only keep the digital print grade but could buy colours in, theres a range of about 50 matt colours, got a kind of Post it note type adhesive somewhere in between removable and ultra removeable, its on their website.

Hope that helps.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi Cameron,

What is the price difference?

Andy
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi Andy, ill get in trouble if i put prices here lol , feel free to call me or ask RHG for a price on either Orajet wallart which we stock or Oracal wall art plotter which we would have to buy in.

Cheers

Return to Vinyl