my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Printing to pre hemmed banner

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:37 am

Printing to pre hemmed banner

I have just recieved a sample of ready to print finished banner from Robert Horne

It is pre-hemmed and eyeleted.
The eyelets are almost flush with the banner face and a max of 2mm thick.
Has anyone used this? and what are your comments.

It appears well finished and looks like it would go through my Mimaki with the head height set to high.

Peter
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:43 am

i think that rolands are 1mm max on high head height.
i do hope people check before using :o
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:57 am

Hi Peter,
There was a thread on this or similar a while a go.
https://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.p ... ght=banner

Steve
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:16 pm

I have just been pointed to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZwfPs1Mt2k
the material is not particularly cheap.
but I may give it a go, it will save time if printing a number of banners.

Peter
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:12 pm

hey peter, did you even get that new banner material you showed a link to on youtube? would be interested to know how you got on with it if you did. would be great if we could use it on our new roland.
cheers
matt
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:24 pm

omg... this is a serious contender of being clever but the risk!!! what about a faulty eye.

One scratch on that print head will be a huge problem... is it worth it?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:34 pm

I had a sample, but not tried it.
I reckon for the cost of it, if there was a "faulty eyelet" you could claim from them for a new head as the product should be fit for purpose.

I suppose its down to how much it costs to finish a cheap banner, and in terms of labour would this product save on labour costs?

Peter
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:00 pm

hmm, yeah, i mean, by the time you hem, fit grommets/eyelets etc as opposed too..it coming pre-done and you just put it in the machine, print and that's it....as long as the material is of decent quality then.....
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Unless you are doing a LOT of cheap banners at the same width I'd prefer to stick with a cheap log of material - taped the hams & eyelet.

At least I wouldn't be clenching every time the head got near an eyelet.

Given the production flexibility of 'dirt cheap' 350gsm banner material, the two-a-penny eyelet cost and the relative cost of d/s tape...I won't be rushing out to get it.

...and somehow I doubt it would wash with the supplier if your heads were trashed in a freak accident - I'd foresee months of haggling over who was to blame over "was it used correctly".

In days gone by, armed with nothing more than a plotter - I was a big fan of 'banana banner' and the likes...then i got a printer to do banners at any size I fancied.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:30 pm

It sounds an interesting idea.

The problem with making your own hems and eyelets and using double sided tape is it's quite time consuming. Also, with double sided tape there is a natural tendency for the hem to wrinkle.

A pre hemmed and eyeletted banner at a competitive price is obviously an attractive proposition but the big question must be, will it damage the printer?

Good question Peter - and some interesting and informative replies.

I'm certainly interested in this product but equally as interested in peoples practical experience of using it.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:20 am

I think I'm just too scared to try it, I like the idea though.

Obviously limited to banners with white backgrounds or borders but if I could get over the fear I can see it being a good thing to have in stock.

One issue for me though is the alignment would need to be bang on, especially if you were leaving a white border.

We finish banners under 5m super quick but not having to finish at all is obviously quicker and no need to take up any bench space.

Be interesting to see how many people start using it. Out of interest how much is it? A pm would be appreciated if no-one wants to post the price on here.

Thanks, G
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:15 am

Hi Gavin
Victory Design have been promoting this banner for at least a year or so now on there site its saying £103 for 22M,
I did ask about it a while back but at the time i was steered away from it, like you say downsides are obvious in the alignment side of things, But never got round to trying it so cant really comment on the product .

Kev
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:22 pm

Phil Whats with the Aussie flag ?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:28 pm

Gavin MacMillan wrote:I think I'm just too scared to try it, I like the idea though.

Obviously limited to banners with white backgrounds or borders but if I could get over the fear I can see it being a good thing to have in stock.

One issue for me though is the alignment would need to be bang on, especially if you were leaving a white border.

We finish banners under 5m super quick but not having to finish at all is obviously quicker and no need to take up any bench space.

Be interesting to see how many people start using it. Out of interest how much is it? A pm would be appreciated if no-one wants to post the price on here.

Thanks, G

Gavin it is supplied by Robert horne, so yo may be eligable for a discount?

Peter
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:46 pm

Ready 2 Printer Banner 825mm x 22m

you mean this stuff with a standard retail of £103.50+VAT.

Can't see the cost saving over buying a 30m roll of 1370, tape & eyelets and very, very limiting in size. Assume it's like the banana banner & double eyeleted every 2 feet. So a banner has to be in increments of 600 x 825mm

SLIGHTY O.T. - but the (victory) SOYANG banner media is going up by 8% at the end of the month. If they are a favourite material then stock up...
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:39 am

Thanks Peter, if it's with RH we should get a descent deal on it. Think I'll wait for it to be heavily used without issues by other people before I try it. Don't want to be the first to post on here about a head strike!

G
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi Guys,

Its been out a while, it is banana banner ready to print , while its not included in the UKSB pricing (Just covered the basics at first) am sure if you wanted a special UKSB offer speak to Rob and we can arrange it.

comes in 520mm/825mm/1140mm and 1370mm.

Hems and eyelets are flush and can be printed over.

Regards

Return to General Printing Topics