my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

icelantic volcanic dust

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:13 pm

icelantic volcanic dust

what a shower of moaners we are :) Wathching the news there all the people getting interviewed at Glasgow airport..... "aww, i we canny get any hotel accommodation, oh an we canny get any luncheon vouchers caus the airport folk say its an act of god "........my answer GET A LIFE !!! if the airport are grounding planes its because theres an engine contamination risk. The last thing the airlines want is planes grounded IT COSTS THEM MONEY!!! there doing it for a good reason

volcano no ......i think its all the paper work getting burned from there burst banks :D :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:23 pm

I watched one of those near disaster type programmes about a jet flying through one of those clouds and the windows getting sandblasted!! They were extemely lucky to get down safely :o :o
I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them there clouds!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:26 pm

I reckon there's more to it then we are being told.

All planes grounded in UK airspace cos of some volcano in Iceland - yeah right - something fishy is going on :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:53 pm

Phill wrote:I reckon there's more to it then we are being told.

All planes grounded in UK airspace cos of some volcano in Iceland - yeah right - something fishy is going on :-?

hmmmm well its obvious to a blind dug .....its so that we stay at home to watch the tv debate tonight ....you mark my words no corrie....no eastenders .every channel you turn on to ittlll be on :D :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:05 pm

Brian Little wrote:its so that we stay at home to watch the tv debate tonight ....

you seem confused Mr Little.......That's Hot Air you refer to....A volcano spews out Hot Ash! :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:09 pm

It's even on the news here.
But if it was happening here within an hour of it, there would be a logo for it, with dramatic music playing, on every network all day long.
The hosts from every morning show would be there with umbrellas and jackets at the scene. Then by the weekend there would be a benefit rock concert with Lady KaKa and Beyonce, etc.

I do feel bad for the folks stranded at airports. been there, done that, it's a nightmare. Also feel sorry for those who will be fitting vinyl oudtoors for the next few days. But I also think it was a good idea to keep the planes out of the sky, better safe than sorry. An inconvenience like no place to sleep is better than being in a plane crash.
Love....Jill
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:17 pm

a couple of friends of mine were supposed to fly to portugal by easyjet this morning...they got sent home because the aircraft was grounded in Scotland...poor loves...their first holiday in years ruined already....
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Ever see the movie "Kingpin"?
Warning link contains the word (oh i swore !)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaYUqXAmXRQ
Filmed right here in Southwest PA.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:39 pm

Jillbeans wrote:It's even on the news here.
But if it was happening here within an hour of it, there would be a logo for it, with dramatic music playing, on every network all day long.
Love....Jill

Jill thats becuase amercian govenrment plan them!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:58 pm

I heard it wasn't a volcano at all, it was the Irish Rugby teams dusting their trophies! :D :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:02 pm

WAR...... I demand war on Iceland, they steal our fish and money, now they ground all of the aircraft................ :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Graeme Harrold wrote:WAR...... I demand war on Iceland, they steal our fish and money, now they ground all of the aircraft................ :lol1:

but what would you do with the prisoners Graeme????
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:10 pm

No Comment...........Speak to my invasion press liaison officer............ -googleye-
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:35 pm

I suppose we will find out when the dust settles.

Ok leving the room :oops:

Peter
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:13 pm

Harry Cleary wrote:
Graeme Harrold wrote:WAR...... I demand war on Iceland, they steal our fish and money, now they ground all of the aircraft................ :lol1:

but what would you do with the prisoners Graeme????

harry ive got so many suggestions two of them i passed out at ...all are unprintable
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Peter! :lol1:
(I feel bad for laughing but that was hilarious)
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:37 pm

There's definitely more to this - I'm not buying the Volcanic Eruption cover story..

I was watching on the news tonight - they showed film of the volcano erupting taken from an airplane a few miles away from eruption, yet here thousands of miles away and with a perfectly clear sky (where's all the dust I'm asking myself) it's supposedly too dangerous for any planes to fly!!

Nope - doesn't add up.

I reckon when Gordon Brown and his cohorts get their live debate this evening the first question they should be asked is "own up and tell us what is really going on" ? :o
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Phil
if you did your homework you would know why it is dangerous to fly in volcanic ash, after all you are from a scientific background,
It affects jet engines in a different way to piston engines, for one thing,
If you think it is a conspiracy, can you elaborate on who is the author?
and how they managed to orchestrate a volcano to erupt, just on the day of the parliamentary debates?

I was quite surprised though, that the grounding of all aircraft in the UK and many parts of northern Europe, was a secondary news item...

Peter
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Phill wrote:There's definitely more to this - I'm not buying the Volcanic Eruption cover story..

I was watching on the news tonight - they showed film of the volcano erupting taken from an airplane a few miles away from eruption, yet here thousands of miles away and with a perfectly clear sky (where's all the dust I'm asking myself) it's supposedly too dangerous for any planes to fly!!

Nope - doesn't add up.

I reckon when Gordon Brown and his cohorts get their live debate this evening the first question they should be asked is "own up and tell us what is really going on" ? :o

Nothing like a good conspiracy theory Phil...unfortunately this time I have to say I'm sure there isn't one. The ash is being spewed upwards right into the jetstream where most a/c operate. This dust if ingested acts like a grit bath on the compressor blades, clogs filters and basically causes engine shutdown....not a good idea at 40000 feet (ish).

The a/c doing observation flying was probably around 15-20000 feet. Winds are predictable and measurable. In close proximity to the volcano...(or wherever the a/c is flying... the crew know where the dust/debris will be blowing)therefore they operate upwind of the volcano encountering minimal risk. A/C operating on set routes have no option but to fly in the jetstream due to fuel considerations...(too much fuel other than base line and diversion fuel costs money to carry and cuts into airline profits)so can't reroute as freely as the observation a/c you saw on TV.

So sorry...no conspiracy this time...but I suppose we can still blame Iceland anyway... :rofl:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Ok , I'll spell it out for you ...

Nibaru :o
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:23 pm

Oh and it was a turbo-prop not a piston engined a/c in the report so it was a so called 'jet engined' a/c flying in there....
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 pm

Phill wrote:

F*$ks Sake....why wasn't I told about that...I'll be 50 in 2012! :(
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Phill wrote:Ok , I'll spell it out for you ...

That's not until 2012 is it Phil...
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Phill wrote:There's definitely more to this - I'm not buying the Volcanic Eruption cover story..

Nope - doesn't add up.

hmmm jet engines i can understand neading to compress air,ignite it and fire it out the back ....but choppers going to the rigs at low level ..hmmm
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:31 pm

Scots are taking it a bit serious :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34mHZgP9vkc
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:29 am

Some stunning pics here SOURCE

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:42 am

What I want to know is, how long after the poison dust cloud do the zombies start appearing!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:26 am

Harry Cleary wrote:Some stunning pics here SOURCE

Proves Phills theory... not much smoke there eh Phill?

Martin Coles family is stuck in Lanzarote. Poor guys, they'll just have to relax around the pool a bit longer. Must be horrible
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:23 pm

Harry Cleary wrote:Scots are taking it a bit serious :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34mHZgP9vkc

oh yes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb_oRKIle2Q
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:07 pm

Joking apart - I really don't get it.

I have being doing some research and apparently on average, at any one time there are always about 20 volcanoes erupting around the world.

So how come we don't have an ongoing problem with no fly zones all year around?

When you consider that one volcano situated in Iceland is currently causing a large part of Northern Europe to become a no fly zone - if you multiply that area up 20 times (representing all of the volcanoes currently erupting) then a good percentage of the worlds atmosphere should also be a permanent no fly zone . Yet in practice, planes being affected by volcanic ash shutting down engines are an extremely rare occurrence.

Either the authorities are over-reacting as usual (think Millenium bug, BSE, Swine Flu, Foot and Mouth, Global warming :roll: , Economic crisis etc. etc.) and I suspect that once again we are being badly led by incompetent leaders...

..or there really is more to it than anyone is lettering on :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:23 pm

Don't know Phill, but being an Island it does seem we are being isolated, the rest of Europe can travel between country's by road :roll:

Lynn
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:38 pm

Phill I think they really have to cover their butts, apparently the ash has been documented to cause problems. Maybe the other volcanos are in more isolated places with less air traffic?
It's most likely a case of better safe than sorry.
The weatherman on CNN described the jet stream as being an unusual one and being partly to blame.

I remember September 11 here, an eerily quiet day with no planes flying in the beautiful blue summer sky later on.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:20 pm

Phill wrote:Joking apart - I really don't get it.

I have being doing some research and apparently on average, at any one time there are always about 20 volcanoes erupting around the world.

When you consider that one volcano situated in Iceland is currently causing a large part of Northern Europe to become a no fly zone - if you multiply that area up 20 times (representing all of the volcanoes currently erupting) then a good percentage of the worlds atmosphere should also be a permanent no fly zone . Yet in practice, planes being affected by volcanic ash shutting down engines are an extremely rare occurrence.

Either the authorities are over-reacting as usual (think Millenium bug, BSE, Swine Flu, Foot and Mouth, Global warming :roll: , Economic crisis etc. etc.) and I suspect that once again we are being badly led by incompetent leaders...

Phil
they dont always have a big time spew out of ash,
but as sign makers we keep lettering on

:D

Peter
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:00 pm

I've got a feeling if we carry on with this 'conspiracy' theory bit Michael Moore might make UKSB into a movie.... :roll:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:32 pm

I remember in school when we learned about Krakatoa that I was terrified there would be a volcanic eruption and I would be killed.
But then I realized I live in Pennsylvania, therefore I'm fairly safe.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Just went outside and got hit on the head by a Black Forest Gateaux, Lasagne, and a Garlic Baguette? :-?

Must be some fallout from Iceland.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Mike Grant wrote:Just went outside and got hit on the head by a Black Forest Gateaux, Lasagne, and a Garlic Baguette? :-?

Must be some fallout from Iceland.

It was most probably Kerry Katona drunk and in the mood for a good fight :-?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:15 am

In this morning's newspaper it says that some tourists might not be able to get home for ten days. :o

Just been speaking to Martin Cole in Lanzarote and he says it is a nightmare. Every day is like Groundhog Day.

He asks if we can all go outside at midday and blow hard in a north easterly direction.

He'd have been better off going to SignUK. :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:30 am

John Childs wrote:In this morning's newspaper it says that some tourists might not be able to get home for ten days. :o

Just been speaking to Martin Cole in Lanzarote and he says it is a nightmare. Every day is like Groundhog Day.

He asks if we can all go outside at midday and blow hard in a north easterly direction.

He'd have been better off going to SignUK. :D

I was only saying to the wife today... glad I went last year and not this year. I'd have been worrying about getting home instead of enjoying myself. I see some travel insurance companies are not paying out as they consider it an 'act of god'. I wonder if Martin finding that?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:40 am

Of course, you cannot predict a volcanic eruption with any accuracy, but there are figures going back centuries, and it is entirely possible to calculate the chances of one happening over any given future timescale.

An insurance company does not know exactly what day your house is going to burn down, if at all, but they do know the chances of it happening during the life of your household policy. They are happy enough to cover that.

And this is exactly the same thing. :(
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:13 pm

i was watching johnathon Ross last night and Kiefer sutherland was on .kiefer said that he was only in london for a couple of days.......hmmmmm someone better tell him ..he aint going home un less like his dad in "the eye of the needle" hes planning to get picked up by a uboat off the coast of Dover !!!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:18 pm

So it looks as if they're beginning to own up and admit it was all a huge over reaction after all :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:17 pm

It depends how you determine "over reaction"
and who "they" are
Had all the planes been allowed to fly, and one crashed, then with hindsight
that would have been a bigger mistakem better safe than sorry though,

peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Swine flu anybody ? :o

Millennium Bug anybody? :o

BSE anybody? :o

Weapons of mass destruction anybody? :o

Global warming anybody? :o

Foot and Mouth anybody? :o

Anybody detect a pattern :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:00 pm

I am glad that they are being cautious, my two sons are in majorca and were meant to return on Saturday, I havn't seen them for over two weeks but I would rather they be stuck there for a while than have them fly if there is a risk it could cause a crash.

Steve
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:25 pm

Oil rig choppers are still not flying - my son has been sitting in Gt. Yarmouth for 4 days now waiting to go to his rig.... so instead tonight he is going by a resupply TugBoat - 8 hour trip!! :(
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:51 pm

Phill wrote:Swine flu anybody ? :o

Millennium Bug anybody? :o

BSE anybody? :o

Weapons of mass destruction anybody? :o

Global warming anybody? :o

Foot and Mouth anybody? :o

Anybody detect a pattern :lol1:

well no I cant see a patern at all.
but you forgot to mention 9/11 in the
list, that was a conspiracy as well wasn't it?

Phill, all the experts agree that to fly aircraft into volcanic dust is extremely dangerous,
I dont see why you think it is over reacting to take to take peoples lives seriously?

The dust has covered my truck every day for 3 days, it is very abrasive, and is real,
even I can figure out that I would not like it anywhere near a jet engine...

Peter
Last edited by Peter Normington on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:58 pm

Peter Normington wrote:but you forgot to mention 9/11 in the

No it wasn't - that was an act of terrorism - You can hardy exaggerate the fact that the twin towers were destroyed. How could it be a conspiracy?

All the other examples aren't conspiracies either - merely over re-actions to a perceived threat.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:03 pm

Phill wrote:
Peter Normington wrote:but you forgot to mention 9/11 in the

No it wasn't - that was an act of terrorism - You can hardy exaggerate the fact that the twin towers were destroyed. How could it be a conspiracy?

All the other examples aren't conspiracies either - merely over re-actions to a perceived threat.

Well after 9/11 the Americans did shut down all flights in and out for days, over reacting were they?
surely it is better to err on the side of caution,
would you have been happy to have let your wife or daughter fly last Friday?

Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:13 pm

To be Honest Peter - I wouldn't get on a plane until the system was back to normal for weeks. If flights resumed tomorrow I think I would be catching a train instead no matter what assurances the authorities gave out :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:22 am

I'm with Peter.... err on the side of safety every time.

I see the navy are looking at picking up the spanish holiday makers. That should give Martin Coles kids something to talk about at show and tell :P
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 am

We all that was a joke at first Shane, but becoming more real by the day. This is a really bizzare situation. I'm sitting in the hotel reception sorting out my emails on phone. All talk just about how and when we will get home. I want to fly home but Esther is on Phill's side and won't go untill 100% safe, she wants to go home on a cruise liner with ice sculptures, not sure if the navy have those:). Anyway, nothing we can do but sit it out. I would just like to thank the Godfather of the site John Childs for keeping in touch and offers of anything he could do for us! Back to the pool:). Martin
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:05 am

It's really getting worrying now. If you're abroad or due to go that is.
Emily's boyfriend is in Miami and it doesn't look like he's getting home. Another friend is in Florida and has been told she might not get a flight home for another fortnight. She is out of her timeshare with nowhere to stay and no hire car either!

Boat anyone? :o
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:26 am

Karens dad was going to Italy today but now he's not going.... he's going to see his mother too who's on her way out so he's worried that he won't make it over in time

I'm off to Rome in a fortnight :o
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 am

John Wilson wrote:I'm off to Rome in a fortnight :o

No you're not :P
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 am

:lol1: :lol1: doesn't look like it John!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:33 am

John Wilson wrote:Karens dad was going to Italy today but now he's not going.... he's going to see his mother too who's on her way out so he's worried that he won't make it over in time

I'm off to Rome in a fortnight :o

It's a Vatican conspiracy to keep you out John! :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Shane Drew wrote:I'm with Peter.... err on the side of safety every time.

I see the navy are looking at picking up the spanish holiday makers. That should give Martin Coles kids something to talk about at show and tell :P

Acording to the latest news :-
the Navy have been mobilised, but dont have any destinations set.
the cross channel ferries are not working at full capacity so no need for the navy to help.
If the navy had to go to southern spain, organise and load passengers for travel, the round trip would take at least ten days,
so what a load of crap. why not just use the rail and road network across europe?
Main reason, a lot of people think someone else should pay for it.
american and asian destinations are out of reach in a reasonable time by navy ships that is a different logistical problem, and can only be resolved by air travel.

I saw people crying on the news tonight, that couldnt get home from Spain, I sympathise but at the end of the day, this is not really a disaster, the volcano has not that I know of, killed anyone yet.

The last few years has seen thousands, if not millions killed by natural disasters, sunamis, eartquakes and storms etc. people with children and relatives burried under rubble have every reason to cry and appeal for help.

so is this really a a big issue?
adust to circumstances and get on with life,
Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:16 pm

I've finally figured it out.

Obviously we all now realise this is much ado about nothing. There is no crisis or danger, the authorities only said there was so that Browns government could look good in mounting a Dunkirk style rescue operation.

I've always suspected that politicians were twisted and not to be trusted - but I never suspected they would stoop this low to try and win over the voting public :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:33 pm

spot on Phill,
there is danger, but only if aircraft fly in the dust cloud, but the politicians (government) took to long to capitalize on the voting potential, they were to busy worrying about how Brown looked in his first televised debate, and trying to limit the damage because Clegg won the popularity vote. Brown thought the volcano would go away....

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:08 am

Phill wrote:but I never suspected they would stoop this low to try and win over the voting public :-?

Oh, I see.

A bit like Vera Lynn starting a war to push her new single. :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:46 am

Peter Normington wrote:
Shane Drew wrote:I'm with Peter.... err on the side of safety every time.

Acording to the latest news :-
the Navy have been mobilised, but dont have any destinations set.
the cross channel ferries are not working at full capacity so no need for the navy to help.
If the navy had to go to southern spain, organise and load passengers for travel, the round trip would take at least ten days,
so what a load of crap. why not just use the rail and road network across europe?
Main reason, a lot of people think someone else should pay for it.
american and asian destinations are out of reach in a reasonable time by navy ships that is a different logistical problem, and can only be resolved by air travel.

I saw people crying on the news tonight, that couldnt get home from Spain, I sympathise but at the end of the day, this is not really a disaster, the volcano has not that I know of, killed anyone yet.

The last few years has seen thousands, if not millions killed by natural disasters, sunamis, eartquakes and storms etc. people with children and relatives burried under rubble have every reason to cry and appeal for help.

so is this really a a big issue?
adust to circumstances and get on with life,
Peter

I agree again Peter. Plenty of aussie tourists trapped over there too. Most are going the road/train route from what I've seen, to get to france then England. Bit harder to get back to Oz though
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:20 pm

I'm voting for the Volcanic Party. Its done more to stop immigration in the last few days than Labour has done in the last 10 years.

:rofl:
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:37 pm

It can't be a real disaster anyway 'cause Bono and Geldof are not planning on making a 'charidee' single........................................................Yet..... :rofl:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:44 pm

John Childs wrote:
Phill wrote:but I never suspected they would stoop this low to try and win over the voting public :-?

Oh, I see.

A bit like Vera Lynn starting a war to push her new single. :-?

no need john theres a wee lass singing the white cliffs of dover on britains got talent to save vera the effort
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Willie Walsh :poke: CAA
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Roger Clements wrote:It can't be a real disaster anyway 'cause Bono and Geldof are not planning on making a 'charidee' single........................................................Yet..... :rofl:
Cover of the Proclaimers "I'm gonna be (500miles)" ?

Oh I would walk 500 miles
and I would walk 500 more,
'cos it looks like that's the only way to get back home to my front door...

...some are not entirely convinced that it is a volcano that's erupted - suspecting instead that it's just the Icelandic bankers burning their IOUs.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Phill wrote:Joking apart - I really don't get it.

I think Willie Walsh (BAs Chairman) is a hero and deserves to be knighted for his common sense.

He stood up to the zealots that are bringing the airline industry and associated businesses) into bankruptcy. Lets hope it's not already too late to save the ailing airline industry which was already teetering on the brink of collapse before this collective madness happened.

Hopefully a few (incompetent) heads will roll for their part in this huge debacle that was entirely avoidable and unnecessary.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:20 pm

does the panel think that the spare customs people were sent to the ports, to help out.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Phill wrote:Hopefully a few (incompetent) heads will roll for their part in this huge debacle that was entirely avoidable and unnecessary.

And pigs might fly Phil....when did anyone in this 'ass covering' establishment ever pay the price of incompetence? :banghead: :banghead:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:57 pm

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Peter Normington wrote:http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Iceland-Volcano-Eruption-Why-Is-Volcanic-Dust-So-Dangerous-For-Aircrafts/Article/201004315602761?f=rss

So was it over reacting?

Peter

IMO it was a 'damned if you do ...damned if you don't'......and I feel that maybe this tme to err on the side of caution was correct. If just one 747 had gone in with hundreds onboard there would be worse questions to answer than there are now......

and no I'm not of the risk avoidance mindset...more of the 'err on the side of caution' where literally hundreds, if not thousands of lives are concerned.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:49 pm

Peter Normington wrote:So was it over reacting?

Peter

Well even the The transport Secretary is now conceding that it was

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Volcano-Ash-Airports-Reopens-As-Operation-To-Bring-Stranded-Britons-Home-Gathers-Pace/Article/201004315611006?lpos=UK_News_News_Your_Way_Region_4&lid=NewsYourWay_ARTICLE_15611006_Volcano_Ash%3A_Airports_Reopens_As_Operation_To_Bring_Stranded_Britons_Home_Gathers_Pace

I'm sure even profit driven airlines wouldn't want to fly their planes through a cloud of volcanic dust - but there's a difference between what Eric Moody flew into (a thick cloud of dust) and the airpsace above Europe which only contain traces of dust. The zero tolerance approach was ridiculous and impractical.

Nothing has hit the news yet - but I wouldn't mind betting that a number of people have died/will die as a direct consequence of the flight ban
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:11 pm

The blame game is well and truly on. The airlines are pushing for compensation, so if they can get an admission from the authorities, they may feel they'll will have a stronger claim.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:41 pm

Just got this from a military chat site:

Published: Friday, April 16, 2010
HELSINKI - Finnish fighter jets which flew through the volcanic dust covering much of Europe suffered damage and the air force warned Friday the cloud could have a significant impact on planes.

The air force F-18 Hornet jets were on training flights in northern Finland on Thursday morning, when airspace was still open, and the engines were later found to contain fine, volcanic ash dust.

"Based on the pictures, it was discovered that even short flights in ash dust may cause significant damage to an airplane's engine," the Finnish Defence Forces said in a statement.

Images taken inside one Hornet engine with a fibroscope camera indicated that the heat of the engine - around 1,000 degrees Celcius - had melted the ash inside the engine, blocking ventilation channels. "Blockages of ventilation channels caused by melting ash lead engine components to overheat and material to weaken," it said, adding this could fracture rotating engine parts. In the worst case, the weakening of component materials could cause "parts to detach and the engine to be destroyed," it said.

The Hornets exposed to the dust from the eruption of a volcano in Iceland would be checked thoroughly, with "at least some" of the engines detached and sent for further studies and repair.

Maybe the right decision was made then?
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:14 am

If insurance companies are permitted to not lose out from 'an act of god' / natural disaster, why are the public allowed to suffer financially from an unforeseen risk?
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:11 am

Ivan Morley wrote:If insurance companies are permitted to not lose out from 'an act of god' / natural disaster,

and if you are an atheist does this 'act' still apply?

I'll get my coat...... :roll:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:53 am

Not sure why insurance companies use the term act of god, as it would be pretty easy to argue in court that they need to prove god exists and he did this?? maybe the definition is covered in the small print.

An old boss of mine managed to get a teacher fired for telling his child not to swear about the weather as god made the weather. He stated that science shows how the weather is made and its nothing to do with god and the teacher got suspended and later fired.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:05 am

Nigel Hindley wrote:
An old boss of mine managed to get a teacher fired for telling his child not to swear about the weather as god made the weather. He stated that science shows how the weather is made and its nothing to do with god and the teacher got suspended and later fired.

I would argue that that is a trigger for an unfair dismissal Nigel.

Its based on an atheistic or evolutionists view, which assumes that it is the correct view. The teachers error was assuming the child was of a christian belief... hardly a sacking offense though. There was more to it than what your boss told you I'd respectfully suggest.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:36 pm

hmmm my warped mind but just think of all those guys that have said to the wife " oh im on a business course in Manchester for a couple of day darling ill be back Wedensday " then nicked off with the sexy we Secretary for a dirty weekend in spain !!! :D :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:16 pm

Mad!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:43 pm

:plane: That is quite amazing Harry :plane:

Nice to be back on British soil BTW, will have to get back into this work malarkey
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:06 pm

:o :o :o you only back now Martin?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:35 pm

Harry Cleary wrote::o :o :o you only back now Martin?

Managed to get a flight on Saturday Harry. After queuing at the airport for 4 hours last Wednesday.

So a total of 16 days in all and was meant to be 7.

The annoying thing was this kicked off the day we were leaving and we actually boarded the plane...it seems the everyone knew British aerospace was closed except the pilot :o only after half the passengers were on, he came out of the cabin said to stop boarding.

That's where the fun began, met people with no money left, some with no credit cards and very little money..

Cost me an extra £1,800 to stay out there.......and yes it was with Ryanair..wish me luck getting it back
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Martin Cole wrote:..and yes it was with Ryanair..wish me luck getting it back

I'll have a word with Mr. O'Leary, see what I can do! :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:25 pm

Harry Cleary wrote:

Shucks, Harry I don't know hat to say,
If I send all my receipts to your house could you give them to him when he is round for dinner Saturday night?

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Martin Cole wrote:
Harry Cleary wrote:

Shucks, Harry I don't know hat to say,
If I send all my receipts to your house could you give them to him when he is round for dinner Saturday night?

:D :D
He doesn't come for dinner anymore because we started charging him to use the loo and trying to sell his wife lottery tickets. Strange :o
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:08 pm

:rofl: brilliant Harry

Read on the plane that a guy won 10grand on one of their scratch cards and expected them to pay him out there and then, when they explained they didn't do that he ate his ticket :o so the money went to charity..true story.

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat