Categories
  • TIMELINE

Collection of Antique Signs

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:00 pm

Collection of Antique Signs

Here's a couple of my antique signs.
Bonnys is a metal sign probably turn of the century. I bought it because i love the way it is distressed and goes with the bricks nicely.

The slaughter sign is a big heavy sign, its about 6ft wide and I recon it dates to the 1930's, the pig is carved wood with a wire tail.I think it was on the back wall of a butchers although I have suspissions it may be a fake from a film set.Its very well built though
Looks great in our kitchen even though my Wife is a Vegetarian!
The colour is a lovely dull dark olive green, couldnt get a decent photo inside without the flash reflecting, but u get the idea.

Hope you like em.
Happy New Year to you all.

Image[/img]
<<

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:19 pm

love them mate, works of art in themself..

the second, if an original. i would imagine to have cost a good few bob back then. exspensive sign. i mean we dont even bother these days to carve stuff, fix bits of wire & the like. we think because we can create some shadows in vinyl we should charge top dollar.. :lol: :lol:
i think it may well be an original if its well made also.. the reason i say is we have made stuff in the past for tv programs.. & they just want it to look the part as cheap as possible. so.. well made & hand carved.. you could have a genuine article.. but what do i know eh? :wink:

one thing i noticed though.. in the second one the shadow is going at a different angle from the rest of the text. :roll:

have you collected many..?

thanks for sharing..
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:21 am

Those are so cool… (disolve)
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:18 am

Thanks for sharing Mark, i could look at those all day.

I think the fascination comes from realising the effort and skill that was put in to making those signs in the first place. I find my imagination drifting away into wondering where the signmaker started.

Rob touched on the point that these signs must have been expensive in their day, the reality is actually the opposite. In the late 1800`s and early 1900`s, labour was so very cheap and signwriters were literally 10 a penny. It was a very common occupation along with the likes of Joinery and Plumbing etc. In contrast, try getting hold of a plumber, joiner or signwriter these days :). Practical, manual labour was all the majority of the working class could do.

My guess is that not only was it very cheap to make, but it was also reasonably cheap for Mr Doughty to buy.

Rod
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:23 pm

Great stuff Mark
Thanks for sharing

The slaughter sign is a big heavy sign, its about 6ft wide and I recon it dates to the 1930's, the pig is carved wood

Bit of a pig to put up then?

Well spotted Rob: The shadows should stay consistent

John
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:18 pm

I love these old enamelled signs. Here's one I picked up. I've got a couple more in the shed which I haven't got round to hanging yet.
Attachments
spratts.jpg
spratts.jpg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:58 pm

spooky letters!

thought i'd share this one with you all, the enclosed photo, is letters which ed acquired from a sign in the seventy's before he met me ( don't ask me how he got them?)
the spooky bit about them is they are our initials ER ed rowlands, and NAM nicola ann mcintosh, i think the o joined to the e was used years ago by the dutch (i may be wrong) they happily sit on my kitchen wall!!
spooky!!

Nicola
Attachments
kitchen-gif1.gif
kitchen-gif1.gif (161.9 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

Return to Gallery