my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Hi from Newcastle

<<

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi from Newcastle

Hi
Been lurking a good long while, but thought it now right time to introduce myself.
Another complete newbie to the sign business so will be bothering you with silly questions a lot in coming months I expect.

Recently sold my building business but too young to retire so thought I'd keep the mind active with doing something a little 'arty' but with financial reward possibilities too.

Have ordered a mimaki CJV-130 and a Roland 60cm vinyl cutter, new pcs, Corel X4 to get me going, chosen after searching these boards and others for advice.;should all fit together mid January time ready for the off.

That's about it for now folks

John
<<

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:57 pm

welcome to the boards john, good to have you here mate.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Welcome from another John - from Newcastle :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Hope you enjoy your new equipment & career path :D
<<

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks for the warm reception.

I don't expect I'll be treading on your toes locally John, I have a few ideas I want to pursue with the mimaki on a national, maybe international level (no, not another cheap banner supplier :lol1: ).

Building game now way too cutthroat and I'm getting too old to enjoy working outside in winter anymore so I expect I will enjoy the new toys Neil; that is once I get a handle on how to use them properly.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi John - good luck with the new business :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi John....welcome from Blaydon :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:13 pm

hello John welcome and good luck :D

Lynn
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:45 pm

welcome from me :D
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:01 pm

Welcome John.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:48 pm

welcome to the boards john :D

nik
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:56 am

hi and welcome :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:33 am

Hi John, welcome to the forum and good luck with your new venture.

Just out of interest what made you decide that the sign industry was the way to go rather than any other kind of business?
<<

Post Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:56 am

Thanks again for the welcomes, can see I will enjoy it here and looking to go for full membership when I get started if I veer towards setting up as a general sign company, at moment my 'special project' is occupying my time.

Why sign making Martin; well to tell truth was not my first choice, fighter pilot or barrister came out above but lack of youth time and intelligence ruled them out. lol1:

I was lucky in that I had choice to get out of the building industry and so had time to look around. I went to several 'franchise meets' to see what was on offer and sign making caught my eye more than the others.
However a franchise is a heavy committment in time and money, good for some who have the correct mindset but not exactly right for me who just wanted to dip my toe in first to see if it could bring me contentment.

Another reason, my son might become interested in something like this, and in an age where it is hard to get most youth interested in anything except computer games, that is a plus.

I can, and probably will, set up in my garage initially, no qualifications needed; I know from reading here that many do not like the 'home cowboys' and I can see why, but it is a fact that it is the cheapest and safest way to start out.

Lastly, during the course of me selling my old business and discussing my future one, a conversation with a friend in another industry highlighted an opportunity that seemed to be unexploited so far and only needed a vinyl printer and some formwork to manufacture.

Sorry about the long explanation, got some time on my hands today since the snow is stopping what I had intended to do, skiing.

John
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:22 am

I'm just nosy John that's why I asked, my story is similar in a way. I was medically discharged from the Royal Navy and knew with my disability not many company's would give me a job. I went to a franchise show to look for something to do and came away with a few ideas, funny enough signmaking was not one of them because my understanding of the industry at the time was just a name above a shop doorway and I couldn't see me making a living doing that.

I started to research the things I thought I might like to do and after a few days felt like I needed a break from it, I picked up the stuff on signmaking just for a bit of light hearted relief really and as I read I realised there was a lot more to this industry than I had first thought.
Started to do some serious research on the industry and the more I found out the more the industry appealed to me. The path has been very much up and down but I enjoy what I do and a lot of people can't say that about their job.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:12 am

John McPherson wrote:'home cowboys'

I think you have two types mixed up there John.

Working from home is not in itself a problem, and very few object to that. Some fantastic stuff is turned out by people who do that, and because of that, and their professionalism and commitment to the industry, have earned the respect of many of their larger colleagues. It's been a long time but I, for similar reasons to your own, started in my home garage.

On the other hand, none of us like cowboys. Those who are just in it to make a quick buck, and leave for something else as soon as they find that it isn't as easy as they thought. That type normally leave desolation in their wake in customer expectations of ridiculously low prices, poor work which reflects badly on us all, etc etc.

Most of us will help the serious newcomers, whilst trying to ignore those who are only here to cause damage to our industry. Although the difference is sometimes immediately obvious, at others it can be difficult to pick the sheep from the goats and it takes a while to suss them out.

Anyways, I hope that you fall into the first category. :D

Welcome.
<<

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:12 am

I agree with you both, should imagine it's very satisfying to see a good sign that you produced fixed in the high street for all to see.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that all 'homeworkers' are cowboys, was just a wrong choice of words on my part, of course they are not.

My past area of expertise was in building renovation and boy are there plenty of cowboys in that game, including the home owners themselves who seem to want to undertake things they don't understand, either to feel like they are accomplishing a creative thing by doing it themselves or those cowboys who haven't much of a clue and /or are just looking for a quick buck; have witnessed over some years properties which were ultimately condemned because of these antics.

Again, I have used the services of stonemasons who work from home in that they were very successful and creative craftsmen but didn't want the hassle of a stone yard, happy for me to bring in the stone onto site and they would dress it there.

I wish you all a happy, content and successful next year, me looking forward to it immensely.

John

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat