my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Fastway Couriers - Scotland, gone bust!

<<

Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Fastway Couriers - Scotland, gone bust!

I thought i would post this incase some do not already know and still have books of tickets left from the pre-pay service. We have a few hundred pounds worth of tickets that we have found to now be useless and no way of claiming back.

I did a quick search on google trying to get in contact with their English head office and found the following quote from another annoyed customer. in fact, judging by some of the posts on various sites, there appears to be a trend in the depots going bust even in england... so if you have tickets, use them fast!

Taken from a web search...
Fastway couriers in Scotland have gone bust, leaving lots of customers like me with books of vouchers which are useless and owing us money (me £350). Fastway Head Office are denying all responsibility and the franchisee has disappeared.

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:01 am

Always thought from the start it was a funny set up paying for a service you were yet to receive. I was tempted but glad i stuck it out with my original courier.

Cheers John
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:09 am

I was tempted but like John didn't like the setup and glad I went with Interparcel.

Jeremy
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:46 am

I wouldn't knock Fastway because we've been using them almost since they started up in this country.

I was initially dubious about buying the tickets up front, but went ahead anyway, and was glad I did because we have had a good service at a cheap price for some years.

Sure, sometimes things went wrong, but probably less often than other carriers we had used in the past, and generally they gave me no reason to look elsewhere. Until recently.

Of late we have noticed some parcels taking too long to be delivered, mainly to Scotland, which is probably explained by this thread, and also to East Anglia, where I believe that the franchisee has had the same sort of problems.

As a result of that we are migrating to another carrier, and that's a shame.

I have to say that I've always wondered how they did it for the money. It's not a business I would want to be involved in.
<<

Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:05 am

John i too used them often, i used them from the first they opened in Scotland/UK some years back now and always found them very efficient. but in Scotland, the past year has been a nightmare and have only used them for local deliveries and the like. even then its been poor...
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:47 am

so do you have to puchase 'hundreds of pounds' worth of books (upfront fees) to get better discount over courier? from what rob is describing he currently lost the benefit of using them as hes out of pocket.
<<

Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi dave

You basically buy a book of tickets up front. each ticket gets you a delivery.
you simply stick the ticket to the parcel, call them and they come collect and deliver.

the tickets are for a range of parcel types though. so you don't have to buy expensive books of tickets if your only getting small light parcels delivered.

however, because our parcels change in size and weight so often, we always have 3 or 4 different books of tickets ranging in costs... that's why we are left with a few hundred quids worth of them...

it actually works well and your never clocking up debt... obviously the company going bust is not good :lol1: but not end of the world for a few hundred quid.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:27 pm

:( another one bites the dust. So many companies have disappeared this year, it's such a sad state of affairs.
I only ever received goods via Fastway and never had any problems with them.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:08 pm

Our two major sameday/overnight courier companies here are 'Fastway' and 'Couriers Please'. Both operate in the same way, forward buy a book of tickets etc.

The only difference I see from your experience is that we only have one book of Gold tickets for same day local delivery, and a second book (blue tickets) for extended deliveries (intrastate or interstate deliveries), and if the parcel is oversized or over 15kg, you put a second gold coupon on to cover the over weight or over sized portion.

Fastways are not my favourite courier though, as they don't have a very efficient organisation here in my opinion. I'm the last street on the last map for the franchise here, so if I miss him whenever he comes through, I don't see him until the next day. Recently I convinced him to leave the parcel at my door if I was away, so that makes it better unless my gate is closed. The problem is that Fastway here carry no insurance when parcels are in thier care (they have lost a couple on me and told me that my own insurance should cover it, but that only works if I send, not receive).

I use Couriers Please every day and I've had few problems in 12 years. Both are owned my New Zealand companies here too - Fastways worldwide is a New Zealand organisation, and Couriers Please are owned by the New Zealand Post Office.

Both companies are represented in every state in Australia so offer an alternative to having expensive interstate freight accounts. We just put more blue tickets on the parcel to cover the extra distance.

My accountant tells me though that one of the hardest businesses to make any money in is the sameday parcel services. Here they pay as little as $2 per drop, so you rely on dropping a lot of parcels off in a short distance.

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat