Categories
  • TIMELINE

Fitting window vinyl in the evening.

<<

Earl Smith

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:42 am

Fitting window vinyl in the evening.

Sorry this sounds a really stupid and basic question. I´m a T-shirt printer, not into signs so I need some info please....
I volunteered ( stupid thing to do, give me a slap ) to help my neighbor and make some vinyl text for the inside of his shop window. Special offer, 20% off , that sort of thing. I told him that as my shop is open til 6 in the evening I will come and help him fit it after I close. He is now telling me its too cold to fit vinyl to glass. Is this so?? Outside temp here is around 5c.
Earl
<<

Peter Dee

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:00 am

If you look at the vinyl specification it will probably say that it needs a minimum of around 8 degrees. The glass will be even colder and you are likely to have trouble getting the application tape off.
I have done stuff in a heated showroom but the glass is still very cold.
Even placing out the graphics with masking tape was difficult as the warmth from my hands caused enough (unseen) condensation to stop the tape from sticking.
<<

Earl Smith

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Thanks Peter, looks like even if I did it in the day time I would have problems. I am using Oracle 651 by the way. I will just have to suck it and see.
Earl
<<

Steve Morgan

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:29 pm

All as Peter said, something else to be very careful of is the ease with which the vinyl will tear when you are removing the application tape. You could try making the tape wet after you've got it on the window - that'll help.
<<

Hugh Potter

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:40 pm

on those occasions where my customers seem to know more than myself, i politely offer to simply supply the materials and let them make and install the sign if they would prefer.

glass can be funny to work on, even inside, don't be tempted to use heat on it if it's cold either!

i've fitted etch in hair salons in winter time, because of the warm damp nature of the air in these places it can be a nightmare to stick and run, i've been known to leave the app tape overnight to ensure a good adhesion before removing the app paper but, normally leave it half an hour, soak paper and remove.

never work wet and if poss, be sure to use rounded fonts, no sharp corners which will lift a lot easier than a sweeping curve. should be ok.

HUgh
<<

Earl Smith

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:20 pm

Good to know, now I wish I hadnt offered to do it. Oh well, live and learn.
I did say that I would supply only but as each line of text is 2mtrs long I said I would help fit it after hours. Stupid me, should keep my helpful mouth shut....
Thanks
Earl
<<

Martin Grimmer

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:42 pm

Earl,

if you are having any trouble getting normal masking tape to stick to window due to condensation etc. you could try using a strip of normal vinyl instead.

Martin
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:47 pm

I like that tip about the vinyl as masking tape.
Lately, no matter how good of a brand of tape I buy, I have had trouble having it stick to windows.
The vinyl and app tape stick OK, it's just the darn masking tape.
That's a "D'oh!" simple/easy solution.
Good luck Earl.
Love....Jill
<<

Tim Painter

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:31 pm

Just done 2 small shop windows for a client with crimbo stuff on the outside as he has shutters and inside access is difficult.

In this temp I would apply dry, I tried RapidTack II and it just made life harder.

Squeegee well and you should get a bit of temp into the glue.

Spray the tape after and peel in smaller sections at a decent angle.

Inside when it's cold I find body temp tends to cause condensation of the glass. I have used cellotape when masking is just being a PITA.....
<<

Craig Cope

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:58 pm

Currently fitting 300 meters of manifestation to digbeth coach station
glass very cold no heat as station not yet open to the public (like building site at the moment).

However with care and by working painfully slowly its possible to fit to cold windows.

Good luck with installation.

Like the tip about using vinyl as masking tape gonna try that one tomorrow.
<<

Earl Smith

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi all,
Many thanks for all the tips. I fitted all the vinyl over the last weekend. It was about 2°c and I had no problems at all. I expected to have real trouble getting it to stick and the carrier paper to peel off. I was really worried but I had no problems at all. BUT I am not volunteering for any more windows. 3 large windows took me half a day. Ill stick to t-shirt printing and embroidery, its warmer.
Earl.

Return to Vinyl