my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Illustrator CS3 adding a white border to my EPS files...

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:53 pm

Illustrator CS3 adding a white border to my EPS files...

Hi all

I have made a file in Illy CS3 which has a large jpeg embedded in the background with a vector over the top. I have saved it as an EPS but there is a white border round the job, meaning it won't scale properly to the size I need. There is no object on the drawing that is causing this to happen, even when I view in outline mode. If I try saving as a jpeg it shows the white border too. Anyone come across this and know what the problem might be??

Thanks

John
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi John

I got the same thing and have tried so many ways to get around it and never did.

only options you got that I know of are;

1) crop the image in photoshop to fit Illustrator page exactly

or

2) copy and paste the entire job from Illustrator in to photoshop, crop it to the size required (ie: remove white area) and save as jpeg. I did this the other day on a 1x6m banner and it worked perfectly.

good luck

Warren
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi Warren

tried that but versaworks said the jpeg was corrupt :evil:
I'll try again!

Thanks

John
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Not sure if it is the same as old versions of illustrator, I'm still using either version 8 or 9 can't remember which but I have had a similar thing and got round it by setting the line thickness to no stroke, once I had done that I could scale the image no problem.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:51 pm

John,

maybe you could try using a clipping mask.

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/illus ... dmask.html

Martin
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:36 pm

have you tried "placing the file" as a psd? Save the jpeg as psd removing the background (so its transparent) hope that makes sense im rushing sorry!!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:24 pm

clipping mask doesn't work as it recognised the entire area of the file and just what is visible, also placing any type of file bigger than the required image area will give the same result.

Not trying to hi-jack this thread but it is relevant to this as I also get the same problem when placing images within a vector design, for example if I do a background in vectors and I place a jpeg on top with a clipping path (or even add a drop shadow in this case) I get a lighter shade of print where the jpeg outline is, between John's issue I have and this issue I have it makes designing a bit of a chore sometimes, I have tried saving it as 100 different file types and no difference, the only thing that gets me around it is my explanations above.

To go a bit further with an issue I got with my solutions :roll: the large banner I did had a nice bright green logo on it, after converting in photoshop the green printed a puke colour green so I had to place it back in Illustrator and place the green vector over the jpeg and then could print from eps or pdf as the background was a jpeg and this came out well.

babbling a bit n ow.

hope you get around it, it is a pain I know and if you do find a way I will pay you to tell me (not a lot but I will pay you :wink: :lol1: )

cheers

Warren
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:28 pm

What's happening is that your jpeg has a white border around it, therefore Illustrator assumes that it is supposed to be there, and acts accordingly.

As mentioned above - crop it out. I use Graphic Converter to do it.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:51 pm

That's Illustrator for you, complete PITA. We're always getting files from designers that are a mess of clipping paths and extra white areas that are unrelated to the image.

You could do this in Flexi no problem. :wink:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Jon Marshall wrote:That's Illustrator for you, complete PITA. We're always getting files from designers that are a mess of clipping paths and extra white areas that are unrelated to the image.:

That ain't the software Jon, that's the designer.

And, yes, we get the same. :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:03 pm

[quote="Jon Marshall"]That's Illustrator for you, complete PITA. We're always getting files from designers that are a mess of clipping paths and extra white areas that are unrelated to the image.

You could do this in Flexi no problem. :wink:[/quote
and signlab for that matter, but its not the program that is at fault, its the the person driving it

Peter
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:14 pm

If you are using the save for web command for your .jpgs you need to check the matte......Cheers :D

Return to Adobe Software

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation
UK Sign Group