my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Have you been to Thailand?

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:42 am

Have you been to Thailand?

Going back next week for our 2nd trip, the first was about 6 years ago. We don't want to cover too much old ground, although we absolutely loved everywhere we went, and had some fantastic experiences (keep it clean guys!) I just wondered if any of you have 'must visit' places in Thailand, that you would recommend for two oldies backpacking for a couple of weeks?

We have some ideas, we would like to go back to Chiang Mai, and Phi Phi Island (We visited the year before the Tsunami), but other than that we are totally open to suggestions. Flight arrives in Bangkok on the Monday afternoon, (6th Nov) from there we can go where we like!

Cheers
Lorraine
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:23 am

Hi Lorraine,

went to Thailand on honeymoon to Krabi and Phuket about 10 years ago - both beautiful then. We stayed at two nice hotels (couldn't afford them now...) but next to our hotel in Krabi was quite a large back-packing area. Not sure if Phuket had a backpacking equivalent but guess there must be somewhere.

The Lonely Planet guides were always excellent for back packing places - guess they'll have one for Thailand.

Martin
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:40 am

Hi Martin, the latest edition of the Lonely Planet guide is well-thumbed!
When I say back-packing, I don't mean sleeping on beaches or staying in Hippie communes-I just mean we aren't booked in anywhere, and can go where we like!

Last time we flew up to Chiang Mai straight from Bangkok, did a 3-day trek, then bussed down to Kanchanaburi, then to Krabi & Phi Phi.
We loved Thailand, but it is so vast that I don't want to cover too much of where we've been before, just wondered where others had been.

Lorraine
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:41 pm

...Just make sure hubby doesn't go sideways thru the turnstile.
Altho you did say you are going to Bangkok.
:wink:
Have fun!
Love....Jill
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Jillbeans wrote:...Just make sure hubby doesn't go sideways thru the turnstile.
Altho you did say you are going to Bangkok.

:lol1:
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi Lorraine

I was there with my wife in August and going back with our two 'kids' (14 and 11) for Christmas and the New Year. We were on a island called Koh Phangan, which is near Koh Samui.

I was also in Bankgok again last week for an exhibition.

Koh Phangan was an absolutely magical place without any of the tourist trappings that exist in many places. Really friendly with good food and fairly cheap in general. (Make sure you shop around for accommodation and don't accept the first price ever) Before going there, I swore that we would rent a car, but ended up with a 125cc scooter each and the freedom and ease of use of these was fantastic! Cost per scooter around £ 1.40 to £ 2.00 per day.

Koh Samui / Koh Phangan are in the Gulf of Thailand so literally the other side of Thailand from the tsunami. There have never been tsunamis in this area as it's not on a settlement plate so I was comforted by that.

If you are in Bangkok for a couple of days and interested in 'shopping' (what woman isn't?) I would suggest that you go to the MBK Centre - like a shopping mall, but with over 1200 shops on around 7 levels. Amazing place! I bought a pair of jeans here that needed to be taken up. I picked out the jeans and was looking at tops for my kids. When I picked the tops (around 5 minutes), I asked the woman where I could get the jeans taken up and she told me that they had been cut and sewn already!! I couldn't believe it but they were perfect.

Another great place to experience is the Bangkok Night Market. Opens around 6pm and closes at 10.30 to midnight or so. This is enormous!!! Seriously! You could not see every stall if you stayed for a week. On the way out of the market there were some shops and one of these had fish tanks with hundreds of little fish in them. You put your feet in and the fish eat off all the 'dead' skin on your feet and ankles. The feeling is like 'pins and needles' sensation only worse. Sounds disgusting but the after effects are amazing! Feet feel completely refreshed and smooth. Costs around £ 5 for 15 minutes.

Hop in a taxi with a meter or on a tuk tuk (negotiate price first) to go anywhere as they are really cheap. It cost me £ 8 to get from the airport to my Hotel, which was 21 miles away. Around the city it will cost £ 2 max to get to most places.

That's enough waffle from me...

Have a great time!

Martin
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi Lorraine,
I've been in Thailand a few times and the last time was in 1998 while the traffic was still bad. I have heard that It has change a lot now. While you the you could take a short flight to Lankawi Island (Malaysia.

Cheers

Andre
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:08 am

Highly recommend a wee trip to Vietnam and Cambodia even a wee 3 day excursion would take in Angkor Watt and HCM City. Have a great time!
Last edited by Nigel Hindley on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi Lorraine

I guess that you are probably there by now but we stayed here http://www.cocohut.com/index.html (about 5 yrs ago) on Koh Phangan just off Ko Samui. Got a flight from Bankok to Samui for about £50 then ferry over to the island.

Had a absolutely lovely time. Got a wooden bungalow right on the beach (about 15-20m from shore line )- its was so picturesque and was quite cheap and and about 10mins walking distance from the bars on the main Had Rin (full moon party) beach.

Would be careful taking a moped for spin on this island as the hills seem almost vertical.

Have a lovely time - i know you will where ever you go in Thailand

Jealous as hell

Russ
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Well, we aren't quite off, but will be soon. We've just got to the in-laws who live 20 mins from Heathrow, they are dropping us off (check-in 6.30pm) before they head off to Norfolk to oversee our kids & staff in the pub. (Need someone in overnight).
We are still undecided on what we are doing when we get there (3.40 tomorrow pm), whether to head straight to Chiang Mai, or have a few days at a beach resort first, or what. It's quite exciting to be free to choose as the fancy takes us.
I am going to do a try-dive, don't know where yet, and if I am OK I'll do the PADI course whilst out there, I can then join Geoff diving, instead of sitting on a beach whilst he's diving!

Thanks for all your ideas, I have made notes! I'll let you know how we got on at the end of the month.

Bye for now, don't work too hard! :lol1:

Lorraine

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training