Categories
  • TIMELINE

Truck curtain sides- vinyl or printed?

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:29 pm

Truck curtain sides- vinyl or printed?

Hi,

We're having a bit of a debate here about whether curtain sides can be done with vinyl or directly printed, or both in fact! I know I read a discussion on here about which vinyl to use but now we're wondering how it would be applied etc as the sides take some abuse...

I know some of you clever lot will know! :D

Emma
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi Emma I don't know the answer, but I know it has been discussed lot's so if you do a search I'm sure you will find the answer

Lynn
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:48 pm

I fitted 10 curtain side lorries 2 years ago using APA Truck vinyl, they still look like new no problems with the vinyl at all.
Just started the first of 8 last Saturday using the same vinyl. Its funny stuff it feels like it wont stick but as soon as the truck vinyls on trust me its on for good, lorries used every day all day and the vinyls still great.
Rich
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi Emma
as Richard said apa seems to have a very low tack but as soon as it touches the curtain that`s it stuck for good.Its only vinyl i use on curtains but i don't see why they can`t be printed or painted.JUst be aware that when you measure ,dont use the top as a reference as they often bow in the centre
<<

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:55 pm

not read the replies... half way down a glass of wine and its friday night... :lol1:

ide say go with vinyl from APA. cheapest as of those available...
inks best all rounder but messy, time consuming. lots of setbacks for a newbie and less profit.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies! For some reason I haven't had any emails saying they'd landed... been setting up lots of new email accounts-my heads spinning with it! Great news about the vinyl, not to mention it means I kind of won the debate ;) lol Will check out APA, it's all good to know for future reference... Might sound silly, and the bit about it bowing in the middle made me think again, but I'm guessing they are pulled quite taught and you just get up there and fit as the side of a van? Or am I completely wrong!?

Friday night, wine night... good/bad sign you could still type Rob eh :)

Emma
<<

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:08 pm

:lol1: till i just read your post there i can't even remember making that reply... so guess i had a few in me by then! :oops: :lol1: :lol1:

yeh get the curtain tightened as much as possible. its pretty straight forward from then on.
when we have applied BIG graphics or large coverage solid panels of vinyl we have a lad inside the truck leaning his back against a sheet of .75" plywood which is pressing against the inside of the curtain giving a nice hard flat surface.

if its just text etc this really wont be necessary but handy tip if having any difficulties with the sagging/flexing of the curtain.

best of luck...
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:14 pm

Ha ha ha say no more then hey :o :D lol

That's a good old tip that one mind... will be storing that for future use! Might just find some local scoundrel to do that job- for a couple of packs of Lambert and Butler ;) Not that I'm implying that's what you do of course!

Emma
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi Emma
as Rob has said I fitted another of these today but we used an 8 x 4 sheet and an adjustable bar from one side to the other to keep the board in place, we then moved the board as we went a long, don't push the board to far out at any given time or the graphics will run out.
Rich

PS or if you have someone to get inside then no need, but the prop is cheaper in the long run if you have a few to do.
Rich

Return to Vinyl