my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

JSM PF1501 NET Embroidery machine-anyone familiar?

<<

Emma Louise Oates

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:21 pm

JSM PF1501 NET Embroidery machine-anyone familiar?

Hi all,

Kind of off topic but work related, just seemed the best place to put this! Wondering if anyone out there has any experience of the JSM PF1501 NET (Joys) embroidery machine before we go and fork out for one? We were looking at a Janome 300 but feel that the bigger machine would be better suited to larger multi coloured embroidery plus caps- but we're not sure of the quality.

Hope there's someone out there who knows there stuff :) Thanks very much,

Emma
<<

Kevin Flowers

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Emma
the Joy 1501 is a Chinese copy of a Tajima machine, Joys pulled out of Ebay because they had such bad feedback because poor service when things went wrong. I looked at buying 2 of them, saw them at a show & they looked good machines spoke to three separate people who had purchased them & not one had a good thing to say about them. So my advice tread carefully

Kev
<<

John Thomson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:54 pm

I have a smaller 1201 which I bought second hand complete with cap frames and hoops.......it is sold in the UK by Joys who do not enjoy a reputation for customer service!

The machine is made in China by a company called Feiya. The machine is a copy of a Tajima as Keven says, so much so that in the US Tajima took out a lawsuit to stop them being sold. In the US it is also sold under the brand name Ricoma. Parts are available direct from the manufacturer, it is robustly built and 2 men struggle to lift it.

Because I am new to embroidery it took a little bit of time,patience and research to get set up but now runs without any issues, however be well aware that embroidery machines, regardless of makes are not 'plug and play' ....they take careful setting up and can be fickle.....once set up correctly and you understand what you are doing they are fine.........on one job I ran over 130,000 stitches without a thread break

The company I bought it from buys and sells the odd single head Feyia machine and his shop runs 2 eight head Feiya machines..........I was told that most of the negative comments were started by rivals rather than owners.

I have no complaints about my machine but in common with most Chinese machinery be prepared to research and work to get it set up on your own......most issues people experience are operator related and you will not have the luxury of help on the other end of a telephone!

Bottom line is I would buy another.

Hope this helps

john
<<

John Cooper

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:11 am

All embroidery machines will have problems at some time and they all need servicing.

I've read quite a lot about Joys and, from what I can gather, if you buy a Tajima and things go wrong, their support is excellent. Buy a Joys and things go wrong, start praying!

You pays your money and takes your choice, simples!

John
<<

Earl Smith

3 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:37 am

Emma, before you even consider buying an embroidery machine look for the software with its help and support. Without software you will have to get an outside digitiser to do each design for you. Embroidery software is expensive. Cheapest I have seen is around 1,500 pounds and that is only a basic program.
As for a machine, look for support and training. During my first year in the embroidery business I was on the phone at least once a month to the supplier. Stupid problems but I needed their help.
If you are looking for a reasonably priced machine with some built in software for names and some basic images then why not look at the Brother PR620 .
Earl
<<

Dan Osterbery

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:08 pm

I agree support is king! We have had melco and tajima machines, and we were let down horrifically buy melco and I have nothing but good reports from tajima. It is very important to have the back up and good support, it can be quite a steep learning curve to begin with!! choose wisely
<<

Emma Louise Oates

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:20 pm

Hiya, sorry for delay in replying to you all! Did some looking around on the internet Kev and backed up what you were saying. Lots of negative customer reviews, and as we stand we can only afford to tread very, very carefully :lol1: I think given what you say John a good secondhand machine could well be worth it, as long as we knew it to be in good working order complete with cap frames etc. Sounds like your supplier was a good contact there, better than buying one from an advertisement, more come back and reliable I suppose. I know we would need lots of support not know the first thing about it. Going to keep researching as we find our feet with new cutter (wooo-hoooo) and illustrator, so we'll hold off for a while. It's great being able to ask on here rather than just reading faceless reviews etc will just be nice when we can be of equal help to other members! Good point about software as well Earl, very expensive... Going to keep that Brother machine in mind, had a look online. Also looked at the Tajima Dan, have decided that one way or another we better get saving ;)

Thanks very much everyone,

Emma
<<

Denise Field

Site Newbie

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:07 am

Joys Machine

Hi

We purchased the PF1501 a month back and the machine itself is really easy to use, but aside from an hours rushed training on it we've been left to our own devices and it has been a steep learning curve... (still is)

I think unless you are very determined and prepared to teach yourself don't depend on Joys to help, they are worse than useless on help, never return emails and you can hang on the phone for ages with no one answering.. having said that I phoned today and got straight through and apparently they have a new member of staff starting tomorrow that will help with queries.

I read lots about their rubbish smaller sewing machines, their feedback is dreadful, but the machine I have is really nice and apart from problems I have caused through my own lack of knowledge, its been great so far.

Bottom line, machine is good, but the company isn't. Also on the digitization software, I have Stitch and Sew, its very easy and has a good facility on it called "Hyperfont" which allows you to take any of your system fonts and it will convert text you want to use into embroidery.. in my opinion the software is worth the £895 + Vat price tag just for that.. considering most embroidery fonts cost $75 each! With my knowledge of Photoshop I picked most of it up in a day, except the stitch modification which is still a mystery to me, I am able to use the software ok.

Anyway, hope this has helped, please feel free to email me if you want any more info.
<<

John Cooper

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:10 pm

I don't think I've ever read anything good about Joys and their after sales care. In fact, I've read some real horror stories. So I'm rather surprised that despite all this, they still have a big presence at some of the shows alongside Barudan, Amaya, Brother etc.

If I'd suffered at the hands of Joys as I've read many have, I'd camp-out on their stand and let everyone know what a 'shower of (oh i swore !)' they are.

Buying an embroidery machine is only the start and the easy bit, getting to use the machine and learning to digitize is a whole new ball park. Just like signmaking, it's an art, an art that takes years of listening, learning and doing.

John

Return to Sublimation Printing