my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

CS1 and 9.0- what the difference and are they compatible?

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:12 pm

CS1 and 9.0- what the difference and are they compatible?

Hello,

Having some software dilemmas here... Looking at buying a Mac with Illustrator CS1 software installed already (plus disc etc) and I am also considering buying 9.0 for a PC. Is the difference purely one's an old version, and would they be compatible with each other and Photoshop CS2 which I already use.

Thanks

Emma
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi Emma

Not sure on the differences but yes CS1 is the next up from 9, however as a general rule get the most up to date you can otherwise punters will send you files you cant open if they have been created on newer software unless saved out as an earlier (legacy) version

john :D
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:18 pm

Ahhhh see John, I thought 9.0 was the later version...Glad you cleared that up!

Think I'm going to take a closer look at the Mac and CS1 then :) I'm trying not to be swayed by the lovely Mac, stylish, whiteness of it all- I'm almost ashamed to admit lol

Thanks very much! Em :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi Emma.

As John says, you might get problems when clients send you files saved in a version later than the one you have installed, but I find that it doesn't happen very often and, when it does, there is usually a way around it.

Whatever versions of Adobe software you use, always save down to the lowest common denominator. In your case, that would be 9, although I would probably use 8 as that seems to be more PC friendly when you send files to others.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks for that John, I'm still wondering if 9.0 is a good investment so we can have on PC as well as Mac if we get it. I'm coming across as so indecisive! Bit of thinking out loud you see ;)

Emma
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:47 pm

They all pretty much work the same as far as basics are concerned. If you're doing straight vector work with basic color / gradient fills and typesetting, it shouldn't be much different as far as use goes whatever version you have. The newer versions do usually have some new features added. I save backwards also to v8, as John mentioned, usually because it is such a stable format and generally excepted without fault by most other graphic programs. One thing to remember about saving backwards though is that some features from the newer versions will not save back into a previous format. That being said I still can pull in files that we have from the 90's that were done in Illy 5 and they of course they look the same as they would as if I just drew them.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi Simon thanks for the advice. Good tip that saving back to 8, I'm presuming that's just a save as type option. I've bought 9.0 now so I'm quite excited :) Looking forward to learning with it and hoping I can convert our logo I designed in photoshop to a vector! Can you recommend any good books for learning about illustrator with me buying an oldie?!

Em
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi Emma
try looking up some tutorial videos i usually find them more helpful than books. Check on youtube, or there may be some available on ebay.

Liam
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:36 pm

You can probably find a lot of used ones on Amazon. There are even eBooks that you could try, although they wouldn't be as easy to use IMO. There are also plenty of websites that you can refer to, most of which are free.

I haven't used this book, but I do have a few from one of the authors, Deke McClellan. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-World-Adob ... 563&sr=1-3 You can't go wrong buying a few used ones though. Looks like most of these used older books for Illy 9 are under £10. Anyway, learning on the older version will not stop you from upgrading to a newer version later. It might take a little while to adjust to menu items being moved around or new features, but the general method of drawing will remain the same.

As for learning, just practice a lot. I use to download gif and jpg logos off of websites just to practice and see how well I could re-draw them. Good Luck!
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:19 am

John Harding wrote:Hi Emma

Not sure on the differences but yes CS1 is the next up from 9, however as a general rule get the most up to date you can otherwise punters will send you files you cant open if they have been created on newer software unless saved out as an earlier (legacy) version

john :D

There was a Illustrator 10 and CS1 is version 11.0. Version 12 (CS2) has some really nice features if you can get it though. Like the ability to "delve" into groups/clipping masks etc without opening the group/clipping mask up. Immense timesaver when doing designs IMO.

Return to Adobe Software