my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

What colours are best to use in CorelDraw??

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:02 pm

What colours are best to use in CorelDraw??

CMYK or RGB
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Pantone :wink:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:27 pm

CMYK is best when designing for print since the printing process mostly uses CMYK inks unless you are printing spot colours.

But be aware if sending a visual composed of a JPG file created from Corel that you need to save the file in RGB format to ensure it can be seen by other users on their screen with their software.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm with Dave on this one. By using the Pantone pallete you stand a better chance of arriving at repeatable colours. If you are printing, print a pantone chart on your chosen printer, match these to the job and select from the pallete accordingly. Ignore the onscreen colours unless you have managed to calibrate your screen to your printer and media.

On this note - Has anyone used a colour Munki to calibrate screen/printer successfully?

Colin
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:09 am

Depends on the job, if I'm designing for stationery and spot colours I'll use the Pantone palette and for full colour stationery, leaflets etc and digital I'll use the cmyk palette. All of this is irrelevant if your colour manager in Draw is not set up.
Alan D
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:52 am

How do i set up the colour manager or whats the best advice you can give on doing this please??
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:19 am

Does anyone have, or can they point me in the right direction of where to get a prinatable pantone ref? this would be very useful?

thanks
graeme
<<

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:10 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/?yjytwyunzxm

all 4 charts in pdf format.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:16 pm

Nicholas, are you using the color manager at all?
Alan D
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:35 pm

Alan

Is there much point using the colour manager without some sort of profiling device?

Colin
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:53 am

I would say so colin, although it does depend on having a half decent screen to start with. I use Adobe RGB 1998 & Perceptual as my central space - arrows to and from imports and export. Arrow to separations printer set to Euroscale coarted V2. Arrow from central space to monitor which has the Huey ICC profile. That seems to render a good colour. I send files for digital printing, my supplier uses a Mimaki with a Colourgate rip, and litho goes to various printers and the colours always come back to what I call a commercial standard. For the purists who want that perfect shade of blue or red or whatever I hink they are in for a lot of frustration as you maybe able to tweak the blue but the red or greens will then be out.
No colour management will mean printed output will bear no resemblance at all to screen display.
Colour management is a large subject in its own right and I don't pretend to be an expert but the above settings seen to work for me - probably not so easy with a cheap lcd monitor
Alan D
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:55 am

I can't vouch for the colour quality of the mid range Samsung lcd monitors we use as I know you can pay an awful lot more for similar size screens.

I notice you mention the Huey profile - does this mean that use a huey device to callibrate your screen? If so which one as I have found it hard to get good opinions on these devices (ie colourmunki, spyder, huey one etc)?

I am always shocked when working in Corel and outputting to acrobat (ready for sending to printers) just how different the colours look in the two programs. At the moment the acrobat files gives a much truer colour representation. At present I have the arrow from internal RGB-srgb greyed out (broken) to monitor which has generic profile (the samsung one is faulty and was unloaded). There is an arrow between generic CMYK printer profile and Monitor. I have no idea if this is correct though.

Thanks

Colin
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:58 am

we actually use corel on Default settings and PDF output, to be honest lol.
in the past on the old CRT's i did profile the monitors and that worked well.

The Acrobat output always does look different, I find Corel flat on rendering colours on screen, as long as the output is good on the printer, then thats what matters the most.

So, stick to Pantone :D
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Yes I use a Huey with an old Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200 CRT monitor. Although an old monitor the colours were always fairly good anyway with its own profile and the Huey made only a marginal difference, the idea is that the Huey is always plugged into the usb port and changes your monitor as conditions change, very marginal in my case I think. Using the generic profiles is better than nothing but I found them to display colours fairy dull, the Euroscale is far better for the sparations printer.
Regarding the Huey you plug it in to the usb port, run the software and the wizard tell you to stick the Huey to the screen, a series of coloured blocks display and the Huey measures them, at the end you choose your type of use ie photos, graphics, games etc and the Huey adjusts the monitor accordingly. Every week or so your are invited to calibrate again. A profile is atomically produced and you use this in Corel.
I find with my monitor that colours in Corel are not far different from Acrobat, I also have a cheap 20" lcd on another computer and a small 15" lcd on my main computer (2 screen setup) these lcd render completely different colours to the CRT which is more accurate but they are cheap lcd's and I would imagine better quality ones are much better. I suppose a guide would be to put blocks of given Pantone colours on screen and compare them to a Pantone chart if accurate then alter the printer, if the printer output is good and display wrong alter the monitor.
Alan D
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi Alan, Im designing for print in CMYK
Would the Huey work for this or is it only good for Pantone?
Thanks
Paul
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:01 pm

This thread is a bit old now and since then I have changed systems and Corel versions (now on X6) and I have now stopped using the Huey, preferring now to use the Monitor profile and install it in Windows (Win7) Draw now uses this for colour management - X4 did not.
If you are designing for cmyk output then that is the colour model you should use same applied if you are dsigning for Pantone output use that. Fact is a cheap monitor is not likely to display the colours correctly, I stick with my old CRT screen because it displays colours so well in as much as what I see is very close to what I get from the output either large format digital or full colour litho.
Assuming the cm is set up correctly in Corel it will always depend on a good monitor.
Alan D
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:00 pm

You can still use pantone colours for printing to a CMYK printer.

Just make sure you have the correct pallete loaded, you need the one in the process colours directory.
The one under spot colours will give different colours whenn output to CMYK

Return to Corel Software