my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Evacuation procedure

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:44 pm

Evacuation procedure

We need to install some evacutation signs at our local recycling centre to tell the public and employees where to go incase of fire - is there any legality on size of sign , colours , wording etc...

all i have is a map of the site and where to put the signs
i am thinking of putting a you are here map of the site and then a directional arrow to which way they should go. - would this be enough??

colin
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Colin they should already have a procedure in place for fire with a designated Fire Assembly point. There is a standard notice to mark a fire assembly point, green & white but can't remember if there is a minimum size for it.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Evacuation procedure

Colin Hibbitt wrote:We need to install some evacutation signs at our local recycling centre to tell the public and employees where to go incase of fire - is there any legality on size of sign , colours , wording etc...

i am thinking of putting a you are here map of the site and then a directional arrow to which way they should go. - would this be enough??

If there's a fire, the last thing I'm going to do is to stop and read a map, orientate myself to the right direction and proceed in an orderly manner to the assembly point.

I'd want lots of signs dotted about with "Fire Exit" and bl00dy great big arrows pointing the way to go.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Evacuation procedure

Colin Hibbitt wrote:We need to install some evacutation signs at our local recycling centre to tell the public and employees where to go incase of fire - is there any legality on size of sign , colours , wording etc...

colin

This shouldn't be your job Colin deciding what goes where you should be given exact requirements or you may be held liable if someone burns! If they dont know what they want or need ask the fire inspector to come round and he will give a list will save you time and no probs with laws etc.

Nigel
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:22 pm

Colin,

They should supply you with the spec of the signs required as they should have done a fire assessment (or have an external company do it for them). from this you should get a list of required signs, sizes and types. If lucky you may also get the order for illuminated (battery back up) signs as they are normally supplied blank.

Have a look at some of the "off the shelf" sign companies on line for sizes. The pictogram is compulsory, text is optional (in most cases). For example, hotels have a simple evacuation map on the backs of doors in acrylic holders sized A4. (Up sell!!!)
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:54 pm

Nigel i think your right in what your saying - a fire inspection should inform them on what signage is required and where they should be placed
- as we had made all the external signs around the recycling plant they have contacted us for advice on evacuation signage - but because im unsure what is legal i have to leave it to the experts as nigel says
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:59 pm

If providing written information (as well as pictograms) latest EU regulations specify that at least 5 other member country languages should also be included on the sign.

To help you out, I have compiled the following translations for you:-

Dutch - Word hier uw achterste uit
French - Obtenez votre postérieur hors d'ici
German - Erhalten Sie Ihr Hinterteil aus hier heraus
Greek - Πάρτε το οπίσθιο τμήμα σας από εδώ
Italian - Ottenga il vostro posteriore da qui

Or as John Wayne said to the Shepherd "Lets get the Flock outa here"

Hope this helps :-?

Return to General Sign Topics