my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

what can I do with my off cuts of vinyl?

<<

Paul Griffiths

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:20 pm

what can I do with my off cuts of vinyl?

Hi all.

I've just been looking around the net today and I've noticed there are alot of people selling car decals on eBay. Is this legal in regards to copyrights of brand names and logos being printed??

Just woundering as it seems a good idea for my cut offs?

Cheers
<<

Brenton West

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:42 pm

What do you want to hear? Of course its not legal, but if you stay away from Ferrari and anything Formula 1 you may get away with it.
<<

Paul Griffiths

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:22 pm

Cheers for that Brenton.

I knew it was against the copy right. But i wondered if there was a license you could buy or something similar as there are so many people offering decals on eBay these days.

Cheers
<<

Brenton West

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:28 pm

I guess that you would have to contact the individual firms, I don't think the logos are like stock photography (I may stand corrected). I should have thought for the amount that you are intending to d no one is going to mind, anyway if you sell £100 worth of say Castrol stickers what can they do?If they get shirty Just say, 'Sorry I wont do it again'. That's what I am going to do. (Again don't do Ferrari or F1 though, you will get a knock on the door!)
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:32 pm

It's not worth it, in my opinion.
#1 you risk being sued for copyright infringement
#2 it tends to attract boyracers or rednecks wanting cheap one-off decals
If you have a lot of offcuts, try selling them to hobbyists with CriCut plotters.
Love....Jill
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:44 pm

I would have to agree with Jill, plus I could probably find more productive ways to spend any extra time I had.
<<

David Lowery

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Always give my off cuts to local primary schools :D
<<

Graeme Harrold

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:02 pm

Just dropped off a big bag of off cuts and roll ends to a nursery. Nice bit of kudos for the website that you support local education AND recycle. Did think about bagging them for hobby crafters, but there is plenty out there and Id be better doing something else more profitable. After all its been paid for by the customers :lol1:
<<

Graeme Harrold

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:30 pm

What does Phill's bible say???? :lol1: Im sure he will have done a chapter on fleabay
<<

Steven Taylor

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:34 pm

Many years ago a friend of a friend had just resprayed a VW Beetle in red decided it would look cool covered in a famous soft drinks brand. Once he had the job done thought it would be a good idea to send the pictures to the company to show off his car, only to receive a letter from a solicitor acting on behalf of the company ordering him to remove the graphics. Unfortunately the sole trader who produced the graphics was hit with a court order and hefty fine!
Ok so its a bit of a different level to small logos on ebay but is it really worth it for a few extra quid??
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:50 pm

technically when u buy a 'software' CD or similar you are buying a licenses with certain terms. With regards the logos on that CD, well that will be the responsibility of the CD Author.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:22 pm

Dave Rowland wrote:technically when u buy a 'software' CD or similar you are buying a licenses with certain terms. With regards the logos on that CD, well that will be the responsibility of the CD Author.

So I can buy a cd from fleabay, and sell all the logos with impunity?

Most cd's specify in the t and c's that you cannot use them for commercial gain without the written consent of the copyright/trademark owner.

It is a minefield of legislation, its up to the individual, if they want to A) take the risk.
or B) feel happy about stealing :D

We all do it on occasion, even making a private phonecall on a company line without permission could be classed as theft,

so it really is down to your own morals and standards.

Peter
<<

Brian Hays

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:33 pm

Dave Rowland wrote:technically when u buy a 'software' CD or similar you are buying a licenses with certain terms. With regards the logos on that CD, well that will be the responsibility of the CD Author.

Is that in the same way that if I open a gun shop, sell you a gun. Then you go & shoot a few people it's my responsibility?

Sorry mate but that is nonsense as far as logo's are concerned.

By using any software you are agreeing to the terms & conditions. And the disk in question clearly states they are provided as a convenience for their lawful use.

The same as you do when you download a logo from brandsoftheworld etc.
<<

Brenton West

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:39 pm

I am sure some companies would be glad of the free exposure but it's a risk to find out which , contact them and see what they say?
<<

Gordon Galloway

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:43 pm

Don't do it, if you are caught you may just get a cease and desist letter or you may get threats to take you to court and claims for huge amounts regardless of how many you were caught producing.
<<

Tim Painter

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:45 pm

Brian do you have to seek permission to sell the Logo's in a library as you do?

Just curious as that is commercial gain.

Tim.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Peter
Graeme Harrold wrote:What does Phill's bible say???? :lol1: Im sure he will have done a chapter on fleabay

Cant see a reference in the index,
maybe it will be added in the next issue :D
<<

Brian Hays

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:51 pm

We don't sell any disks with car manufacturers on.

The hole thing is kind of a grey area. I know the guy that sells the "world logos" cd's had a fair few problems in the past. So much so he stopped selling them. I notice he has started to do so again now as I had an email offering me one.

You will have problems with selling stickers on ebay if they are Ford etc. There are IP lawyers that spend their time looking for such things. All over, on the internet, magazines etc. You will risk getting threats of legal action, often together with a bill to cover their time.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:01 pm

Brian Hays wrote:We don't sell any disks with car manufacturers on.

The hole thing is kind of a grey area. I know the guy that sells the "world logos" cd's had a fair few problems in the past. So much so he stopped selling them. I notice he has started to do so again now as I had an email offering me one.

You will have problems with selling stickers on ebay if they are Ford etc. There are IP lawyers that spend their time looking for such things. All over, on the internet, magazines etc. You will risk getting threats of legal action, often together with a bill to cover their time.

does that mean G2Go is no longer available? and are you saying that its ok to do Macdonalds logo, but not Fords?

Car manufacturer or electronic goods, is there a difference?
Peter
<<

Brian Hays

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:21 pm

No I am saying you can't reproduce any of them without permission. I have never said otherwise.

And if you try to sell Maccy D stickers on ebay you face the same risks. Unlikely you will sell any either.

Everything we sell is on our web site so clear for all to see. :)

Anyway I will answer the original question as things have gone way off track.

Paul imo no it's not a good idea to use your "cut offs" in that manor. Giving your off cuts to schools, clubs etc that may make use of them seems like a much better idea to me.
<<

Gert du Preez

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:51 am

Offcuts?

Customer pays for them, the local dump receives 'em free of charge. After all, they need something to fill the big holes they keep bulldozing all over the countryside, dont they?

Trying to use offcuts seems a bit Penny Wise Pound Foolish - rather than scratching around for a piece of offcut 1cm LARGER than what I need, I'd rather pop a shiny roll of virgin vinyl in my plotter, and produce a $100 worth of work while you are still scratching around for an offcut to do a $5 job.

Only save offcuts if your country is ruled by Robert Mugabe or Tony Blair......
<<

Brenton West

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:10 am

Sounds like Brian knows, take the vinyl to the nursery down the road.
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:16 am

Gert du Preez wrote:Only save offcuts if your country is ruled by Robert Mugabe or Tony Blair......

*rofl*

Nice one Gert.
<<

Paul Griffiths

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:25 am

Sorry for opening such a can of worms guys :o

Cheers for all the useful tips with regards to cut off etc and lets just wait and see to what action ebay will take against these people selling famous brand decals.
<<

John Harding

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:16 am

mm like the whole nursery thing but what happens if little Johnny thinks its a rather large stamp and licks off all the solvent adhesive :-?

Do you supply any factual info to the schools concerned?

Otherwise I see more lawsuits

Customer pays for them, the local dump receives 'em free of charge. After all, they need something to fill the big holes they keep bulldozing all over the countryside, don't they?

Gert -yours might mate, our dumps don't accept trade waste without charge, then theres the whole need to be a registered waste carrier thing, its a nightmare in the UK (hot)

John
<<

Stephen Morriss

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:37 am

Local schools get mine or sometime I give them to people when they ask for some vinyl.

And as a last resort they go in the trade waste bin.

Steve
<<

Joseph Helm

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:42 pm

Seeing this thread made me do something about the ever growing box of vinyl I have.

I rang the local school, and they were pleased with the idea, so I'm going there tomorrow with a bag full.

When I'm working away, I just tend to bin it.
But I'll save it for the school now.
<<

Brenton West

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:50 pm

I like that sort of thing, one of my 'art' projects requires 5"x4" glass, the local framer gave me a pile and said I can have as many small bits as I liked. That sort of thing makes this world a better place. :D
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:47 pm

I have a contact with the education dept. who is always glad of offcuts and scrapped prints for art & craft classes for the schools she visits. Gets a huge box every 3-4 months of me...good for the soul, environment, education and a name for being helpful...what goes around comes around.

I did do loads of boy racer stuff from offcuts years ago and offloaded them to a lad that did car boot sales at the cost of materials only (instead of binning them) - but was just such a palaver putting small sections of vinyl in for next to no return.

Return to Vinyl