Categories
  • TIMELINE

Solvent Waste?

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Sat May 16, 2009 4:07 pm

Solvent Waste?

Hi

How do you guys dispose of the waste from Solvent printers?
Do you sub the job out to a company like rentokil-initial?

Our printer has a big bottle, thats only about a quarter full.. But I'd like to sort things out now ready.

Thanks

Joseph
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat May 16, 2009 5:45 pm

down the sink, job done.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat May 16, 2009 6:13 pm

Take it to your council recycling centre whilst doing a domestic rubbish run!!!
Pouring stuff in your own drain is too risky with water companies tracing stuff pretty quickly.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Sat May 16, 2009 6:20 pm

WillPlane wrote:down the sink, job done.

Not something I'd ever try doing.

@Graeme, I was thinking about the rubbish dump... I'll have to go over and check it out.
Thanks
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat May 16, 2009 7:22 pm

If you are going to the council tip don't use your vans or cars with company livery - in Newcastle if your van/car has livery you need a license to use the tip at about £25 a pop.

Cheers John
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat May 16, 2009 7:53 pm

John Gregson wrote:If you are going to the council tip don't use your vans or cars with company livery - in Newcastle if your van/car has livery you need a license to use the tip at about £25 a pop.

Cheers John

We are not trying to avoid paying for commercial waste are we John?
My council tax is high enough, without people abusing tidy tips,

Pour it down the lav, it cant be any more harmful that the stuff that normally goes down there!

Peter
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat May 16, 2009 7:54 pm

WillPlane wrote:down the sink, job done.
if that's any more than a bit of tongue in cheek - I seriously hope you don't do that.
Just from and ethical point of view and the fact that you could single handedly contaminate the waste water. The environment protection agency would have your ass on a plate...
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat May 16, 2009 7:57 pm

ours ends up in a drum, its supposed to be emptied but its not as its never got full
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat May 16, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi Peter, I've never used the tip for commercial waste - I already sort and pay for that through my business - but yes my comment did infer that.

The reason i brought this up was I went to the tip the other day in my car which has co livery on. I was trying to get rid of garden rubbish, grass and tree cuttings after a tidy up. The guy wouldn't let me use the dump as I didn't have a license.

Cheers John
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat May 16, 2009 8:03 pm

throw it on your weeds, thats what i used to do :D

nik
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat May 16, 2009 8:07 pm

It doest kill our weeds!
they must be harder down south!
Peter
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat May 16, 2009 8:21 pm

John Gregson wrote:Hi Peter, I've never used the tip for commercial waste - I already sort and pay for that through my business - but yes my comment did infer that.

The reason i brought this up was I went to the tip the other day in my car which has co livery on. I was trying to get rid of garden rubbish, grass and tree cuttings after a tidy up. The guy wouldn't let me use the dump as I didn't have a license.

Cheers John

John, our tidy tip will allow vans and pick-ups, even sign written, for domestic rubbish, but we have to apply for permission first, (no cost) the council can then control the number of visits by each vehicle, so it prevents the cowboy builders from avoiding paying, but then they just fly tip, which costs even more to clean up!
Peter
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat May 16, 2009 8:33 pm

Bloody fly tippers :evil:

We have a problem at the moment with people coming onto our industrial estate and using our bins and skips to dump stuff - if the skips are full they just dump it anywhere. Would stop them myself, if I saw them, but I think the security guy must be letting them in at night :-?
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun May 17, 2009 5:16 pm

wait until Nov 4th and then offer it as a non-lethal accelerant for the bonfire....

Oo
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Sun May 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Hmmm I know a guy who has a log fire that might be able to use it up... as long as this stuff is still strong enough to burn.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun May 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Just bear in mind that solvent *unlike petrol* does not explode... it burns with a relatively clean flame.

At least that's what I have heard anyway :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun May 17, 2009 6:59 pm

Have a word with your friendly local garage. Ours goes in their waste oil tank.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun May 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Here's my theory:-

Does it actually do any harm to the "environment" if you pour it onto the ground?

If you pour it onto the ground the solvent will quickly evaporate leaving just the pigment behind. You will have added the solvent vapours to the atmosphere but this is no different to what you would have done if you had printed with it.

So our only concern should be what makes up the pigment which is the only contaminant that would be left behind after you poured it onto the ground.

And how safe is the pigment? Safe enough to be used to make prints so presumably no heavy metals or poisons for us to worry about. And what do we do with the wasted prints we produce and what becomes of every print once it has served it purpose? They all eventually end up in a waste bucket or skip to go to landfill.

Thus pouring the waste ink onto the ground is no more damaging to the "environment" than printing with it. :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun May 17, 2009 7:32 pm

Dave Rowland wrote:ours ends up in a drum, its supposed to be emptied but its not as its never got full

Thats because it evaporates - eventually you will end up with a drum full of pigment
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun May 17, 2009 9:10 pm

local garage is next door to me - so we use his waste oil drum
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun May 17, 2009 10:07 pm

Local bodyshop, just ask them if you can poor it in their waste solvent, this then gets collected and disposed of in the correct fashion, it comes off their solvent reclaimed amount so its all good !!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon May 18, 2009 1:17 am

I thought we were allowed to pour our waste ink over newspaper let it dry then throw it with the rubbish?

We use eco sol max ink and I'm pretty sure that's how we were advised how to dispose of whats in our waste bottles.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon May 18, 2009 1:41 am

Our local tip has chemical days every 6 months, so you can drop off paint and chemicals, car batteries and tyres for free, without penalty.

other than that, you can pour it into kitty litter and let it evaporate, then dispose of it that way.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:48 pm

I put our waste ecosolvent ink into our office inkjet printer which we then use in B/W mode.

The ink isn't quite black but when all you're printing is delivery notes and invoices quality isn't of the essence.

Saves us a fortune.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:07 pm

*drink*
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:36 pm

George I hope that's cyan you're drinking and not waste ink.

I'm more of a "strawberry" magenta man myself but each to their own.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Phill wrote:
Dave Rowland wrote:ours ends up in a drum, its supposed to be emptied but its not as its never got full

Thats because it evaporates - eventually you will end up with a drum full of pigment

well its 75% full liquid... so perhaps I just need to boil it and get the pigment out, sell it as something i bet.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:32 pm

Dave Rowland wrote:sell it as something i bet.

Glue and paint remover maybe? :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:52 pm

I take mine round to the mother-in-laws. Pop a bit in her cuppa. She never notices and The day of the will being read grows closer every day! :wink:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:56 pm

Karl Williams wrote:I take mine round to the mother-in-laws. Pop a bit in her cuppa. She never notices and The day of the will being read grows closer every day! :wink:

:lol1:

john
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:14 am

John Thomson wrote:
Karl Williams wrote:I take mine round to the mother-in-laws. Pop a bit in her cuppa. She never notices and The day of the will being read grows closer every day! :wink:

john

Why tip it down the bog when it can be put to good use? :D :D
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:12 pm

I would say that disposing of your waste solvent by throwing it on the ground or down the toilet is not recommended. If caught, particularly in the UK or EU, you're more likely to be hit with a huge fine.
Disposal laws are a bit more expectant these days and any contamination of soils or waste is not taken lightly.
It does specifically state on the safety data sheet of the OEM ink not to 'dispose of waste to the sewer'

It may be odour light but the solvents in the ink are not nice and the solids contents are certainly not soil friendly. If anything you should be talking to your ink supplier about their legal obligation to accept any returned waste. The OEM may say no but it is a legal requirement, particularly in Europe so don't take no for an answer.

As an ink supplier we have arrangements with some users to take back collected waste, as long as it is ours and we then dispose of it accordingly. i.e. it costs a lot of money per annum to do so.

mod-edit
please see board rules on profile/avatar pictures.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:11 pm

[quote="Stuart Flynn"]If anything you should be talking to your ink supplier about their legal obligation to accept any returned waste. The OEM may say no but it is a legal requirement, particularly in Europe so don't take no for an answer.

Thats interesting, what piece of legislation is that requirement buried in? If thats the case then it would surly be the same for producers of paints, chemicals etc?

My company spends an absolute fortune in waste disposal. If that was to be passed back to the suppliers of the products in the first place one can see a rather dramatic increase in initial purchase prices.

Would also mean that they would have to register at the very least as a waste transfer station as they are handling waste not produced by themselves.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:13 pm

Karl Williams wrote:
John Thomson wrote:

john

Why tip it down the bog when it can be put to good use? :D :D

... can always flog it to your local glue sniffer too! :D

Return to General Printing Topics

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android