Categories
  • TIMELINE

Dibond fixed with VHB Tape

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:08 pm

Dibond fixed with VHB Tape

Hi all,

I have a fascia to fit tomorrow, which i had planned to use colour coded polytop screw to fix up.

The fascia consists of 3mm gloss navy blue dibond 244cm x 51cm panels, 2 of them and a small 93.5cm x 51cm on the end. These will all butt up to each other to form a 581.5cm fascia. On top of this are butler finish 3mm dibond flat cut letters.

My cunning plan is to now fix the fascia up with vhb foam trim tape (from Hexis) on to the new plywood/painted fascia. My thinking is that all the fixings will then be hidden, and create a nicer finish. Also the flat cut letters will be screwed right through the sign and into the plywood fascia and will take the brunt of the weight of the sign, with the tape holding down the edges. The smaller panel at the end, doesnt have any letters on though, so this will be relying on the tape alone.

Basically i want your advice as to whether this is a good idea, or whether i should stick to the original plan of using colour coded screws to fix.

Hope you can help

Matt
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:16 pm

can't see why it would be a problem, if the stand-offs for the letters screw right through then as you say, the main panel is supported.

Hugh
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:45 pm

I fitted a fascia last week the same way but also glued the panels as well so I didnt need to put any screws in the fascia. The fascia I fitted was matt black so I masked the joins by 2-3mm and ran some black silicon down.

They want more done now.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:39 pm

Luke
you could always put a few spots of construction adhesive behind as well, that way the VHB tape will take care of the initial grab & should it ever give the adhesive will hold it. Use something like Sticks like Sh*t by evostick don't use No more nails etc they dry hard & any movement causes them to brake off the substrates.

Kev
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm

looks like a go then :) but what about the signel panel without any screws in of 51x93.5cm do you think this will be ok,its a fairly small panel, if i glue it as well. Also what is the longevity of the vhb tape, is it going to last as long as the sign
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:43 pm

i would think it'll be fine Matt.

as Kevin said, perhaps a few spots of decent glue to help it.

Hugh
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Fri May 01, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi Matt, not to put a damper on the idea of using d/sided tape but the grip of the tape is only as good as the paint on the surface.

If the the surface has not been rubbed down properly and the paint was put onto a gloss surface then there is no key between surface and paint.

The tape will stick well to the paint but the paint may come away from the surface.

Sanding down the paint where the tape will apply may help.

Vic
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri May 01, 2009 12:52 pm

i think he's up a ladder fitting as we speak!
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Fri May 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Hugh Potter wrote:i think he's up a ladder fitting as we speak!

Hi Hugh,

Just noticed the date oops :oops:

Well hope the weathers better for Matt than it is up here, it's ''peeing doon'' here :(

Vic
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri May 01, 2009 1:08 pm

it's nice here at the moment, bit breezy though, he's closer to the coast to me too so prob a bit breezier there, i'l find out when i get down the beach tonight!
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat May 02, 2009 1:37 pm

I might be too late but just a word of warning when using grab adhesive on composite panels it can cause visible distortion to the face of the composite board ! Be careful what glue you use. . . test a bit first on a couple of scraps and leave overnight !

Return to General Sign Topics