Categories
  • TIMELINE

£5000 to £6000 to spend

<<

Terry Beech

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:19 pm

£5000 to £6000 to spend

Hi everyone I've just inherited some money and after treating myself and the family i should be left with about £5k to £6k and was wondering what i could buy to help make more money for around that price
i was thinking of an embroidery machine, has any one any other suggestions.
I already have a versacam, plotter, laminator, heat press,cup press, and cap press and a oki printer for making number plates
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi Terry,

There's a company round the corner from me who only do embroidery. I know the boss and the lasses in there very well and the basic idea I get from them is that the embroidery business is very very competitive - more so than the signage one.

They have to concentrate on large volume, low cost items to turn a decent trade. There strongest sales go to uni's and schools.

Not trying to put you off but just to be aware of it.

Maybe an engraving machine? but I'm biased when it comes to them!

Andy
<<

Mark Jahn

3 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:38 pm

I agree with Andy I'm afraid Terry. We looked at the embroidery market but up here I can get T's / Polo's etc done with a basic name and number for £3 per garment.
<<

Terry Beech

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:51 pm

hi mark
where's up here ?
we charge £8 for name and number and that's if they supply their own t shirts
we already do some embroidery work but sub it out around £1000/year and we don't go looking for the work
<<

Mark Jahn

3 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:57 pm

North East Terry - the guys I use are in Newcastle and there are plenty of them around wanting the business hence the price I guess. That price I mentioned is for me to supply, deliver and collect the apparel.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:13 pm

you already have good kit there mate. a good business can be had by that easily... if i were you i would look at much smaller investments to make life easier, thats if you dont already have them. things like banner eyelet machine £160, application tape dispenser to help with the wide 4ft rolls... £95
and good workbenchand top £60... some new fitting kit, see jag sign supplies and the like... how good is your software? signlab £250-£1950, impact vehicle library 2009 £85, wrap back grounds from jag also... just simple things that make life around the workshop that bit easier streamlines your business. chuck a grand into this sort of thing and put the rest away for a rainy day... or take your chequebook along to signuk and see what deals they have on.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:23 pm

I would keep hold of it for a while, no disrespect, but its not a lot of money to invest in a new "idea"

Rob is on the right lines, if you need to spend it, use it to enhance or make your current output more cost effective.

Peter
<<

Terry Beech

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:27 pm

hi Robert
thanks for you comments I've got most of the things you've listed and most of my software is quite new but good point
I'm not the type of person who can put the money away if I don't get some thing I would just Waist it, so I would rather by something that i own outright and would pay for it's self within a couple of years or less
<<

Andrew Boyle

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Maybe put it towards a router and flame polisher :D
<<

Lynn Normington

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:33 pm

if your business is doing well at the moment keep in reserve unless you want to diversify :D then you have a small nest egg for rainy days,
if it rains tomorrow take the family somewhere you wouldn't normally go :roll:

Lynn
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:36 pm

ok, fair enough, pay me it and ill give you it back in a couple of years. :wink: :lol1:

nah seriously... i kinda know what you mean, but signuk is only months away? you may see some new amazing product at the show and dont have the spare cash!
i know very little about them, but if i was trying to get into clothing market ide take a look at these new flatbed t-shirt printers and the like. you will already be clued up on the basics of printing due to having the software and a verscammm already so no steep learning curve. however, the possibilities of printing direct to the garments are endless...

if it were me ide still go with my first suggestion. if business is booming and your pulling in money from all the kit you have then fine, why not add another arrow to your bow. but no point biting off more than you can chew mate as it is allot of different areas to cover on your own. then again, thats me assuming you work alone. :roll:
just tell me to shut-up mate.... im blabbing. :lol1:
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:48 pm

Buy an unusual vehicle (e.g a convertible, three wheeler or interesting "classic") and wrap it to advertise your business.

Merely being "parked up" beside a busy main road - It will generate a lot of interest in your business.

When you come to sell it on again you should get most of your money back
<<

Terry Beech

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:51 pm

t shirt printer sounds good :D
there is 3 of us working here me my son and my wife (sometimes)
print ware promotion show is on at the beginning of March think I will have a look there first.
but still open to suggestions
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:57 pm

Phill wrote:Buy an unusual vehicle (e.g a convertible, three wheeler or interesting "classic") and wrap it to advertise your business.

Merely being "parked up" beside a busy main road - It will generate a lot of interest in your business.

Phils advice, may have been sound a year ago, but not so sure now, i would say dont buy any kind of vehicle, not now, unless you buy it for less than 25% of it percieved value. if you do you may as well set fire to your cash in public, it will get you more value.
do not spend, unless you are sure of a return,
vehicles are the last place to put your money,

did we not notice the recession?

Peter
<<

Graeme Harrold

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:58 pm

Have a look at glass.......sandblasting setup from Crystal Galleries is about £2500-3500............
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:10 am

Peter Normington wrote:
Phill wrote:Buy an unusual vehicle (e.g a convertible, three wheeler or interesting "classic") and wrap it to advertise your business.

Phils advice, may have been sound a year ago, but not so sure now, i would say dont buy any kind of vehicle, not now, unless you buy it for less than 25% of it percieved value. if you do you may as well set fire to your cash in public, it will get you more value.
do not spend, unless you are sure of a return,
vehicles are the last place to put your money,

did we not notice the recession?

Peter

Peter's advice may have been sound a year or so ago - but now that we are in a recession now is the time to grab yourself a bargain priced vehicle at a massive discount.

And you'll be helping to "reflate" the economy by spending some cash.

This time next year your 5000-6000 pounds will only be worth 4000- 4800 due to the hyperinflation we are about to experience :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:20 am

thats what I said Phil, only if its a bargain, cars dont make good investments, fact, the inflated bubble burst about 15 years ago
an f40 brought upto 1 million when new, top value now, lucky to get £300k

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/C ... 34900.html
Peter
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:30 am

No that's not what you said Peter.

You "rubbished" my suggestion.

But the facts are that now is the time you will get a bargain basement price on any vehicle. And money is about to be devalued due to our governments miss-management of the economy.

If ever there was a time to invest in "commodities" the time is now.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:40 am

Phill wrote:No that's not what you said Peter.

But the facts are that now is the time you will get a bargain basement price on any vehicle. And money is about to be devalued due to our governments miss-management of the economy.

Now now Phil, I never rubbish anyone's suggestions, least of all yours,
its just my opinion that buying any vehicle at the moment would not be a sound investment.
yes, many commodities are cheap just now, but they could fall in price as well as increase, I just think they will fall more before they go up.

Peter
<<

Brian Hays

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:47 am

Peter Normington wrote:
Phill wrote:No that's not what you said Peter.

Now now Phil, I never rubbish anyone's suggestions, least of all yours,
its just my opinion that buying any vehicle at the moment would not be a sound investment.
yes, many commodities are cheap just now, but they could fall in price as well as increase, I just think they will fall more before they go up.

Peter

Buying a vehicle is never an "investment" Peter. It always has & will be a deprecating asset.

Save for the odd collectors item. Even with them the market is up & down.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:53 am

I know Im getting a bit senile Brian, but I'm sure thats what I just said?

didnt I ?

Peter
<<

Brian Hays

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:00 am

Peter Normington wrote:I know Im getting a bit senile Brian, but I'm sure thats what I just said?

didnt I ?

Peter

Your last thread said "at the moment"

I am saying "at any moment"

As usual I have not read all the thread mind :oops:

But you did say at the moment, that would infer there has or will be a good time to by a vehicle as an investment surely?
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:01 am

Buy 7000 litres of petrol.... will probably be worth about £20k in a few months :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:07 am

OK
sorry Brian,
to reiterate, and probably upset phil even more.

NEVER BUY A VEHICLE AS AN INVESTMENT.

it did work for many though, including insurance companies in the hay day of classic cars, (proper ones not cortinas and capris though)but it all dependent who ended up holding the baby...

Peter
<<

Chris Wool

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:11 am

(proper ones not cortinas and capris though

thats it you have upset phill now
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:13 am

Hand Bags a dawn! :lol1:

can we agree to disagree... or is there more to come? :-?

:police3: Keep on walking folks, nothing to see, nothing to see.... keep on walking! :lol1:

<<

John Gregson

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:24 am

Near to where i live there's a an old banger of a Bugatti for sale, saw a flyer in the back window - should be in your price range. :lol1: its got no MOT and I don't think the owner informed DVLC that it was off the road -

for the last 60 odd years.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-ea ... -22663504/

Joking aside - If i'd inherited some money I think it would be better put to use for family holidays and enjoying life than getting ploughed back into a business - especially with the current economic climate.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:25 am

I agree to disagree, just my opinions,
no one has to take any notice,

should I print a disclaimer next time, like MGM or Disney?
:D

Ps I think of Phil as my soul mate,

peter
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:41 am

David Rogers wrote:Buy 7000 litres of petrol.... will probably be worth about £20k in a few months :-?

that may well be the case Dave, but seeing as about 80% is tax and vat I doubt if 7000l would make a good return, and most of it would be eaten up in storage costs...
Oil may well go down even further in price, as demand drops, due to lower manufacturing output throughout the world,

Wouldnt it be great though if we could see into the future, and know where to invest!

Peter
<<

Paul Humble

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:57 am

Mark Jahn is right, up here in Gods country I can buy an embroidered Polo for less than I can buy and print one for.

Peter Normington has a very good idea in an unusual vehicle, get a Nissan Escargot for £2000 (haggle, you will get one for 2000) its a fantastic advertisement that will last as long as you want it to. Ive got a Mini Pickup that im going to do.

Lynn has a great idea too, bank it and save.

Me, well in this economic crisis I would get the cash and put it under my mattress!!
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:33 am

Sorry - I fell asleep, what was all that again :P
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:09 am

Paul Humble wrote:Mark Jahn is right, up here in Gods country I can buy an embroidered Polo for less than I can buy and print one for.

Peter Normington has a very good idea in an unusual vehicle, get a Nissan Escargot for £2000 (haggle, you will get one for 2000) its a fantastic advertisement that will last as long as you want it to. Ive got a Mini Pickup that im going to do.

Me, well in this economic crisis I would get the cash and put it under my mattress!!

Paul
The car idea was Phill's so he deserves the credit, for that.
It may bring in revenue by advertising, but I cant see it as an investment
for a business in todays climate. Unless you buy for a ridiculously low price, you could, and probably will loose money,

Sorry to wake you up Phill,
but you had a customer Knocking at your door.

Peter
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:09 am

David Rogers wrote:Buy 7000 litres of petrol.... will probably be worth about £20k in a few months :-?
I was being a bit tongue in cheek Peter...

Dave :wink:
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:46 am

Back to the main thread..

What about a wall saw - something that may improve productivity for your business ?

(And by the way I did hear the Capri comment but I have decided to turn the other cheek :lol1: )
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:19 am

:lol1:

i think a wall saw would be good too... relatively inexpensive one but multipurpose would be from www.sawtrax.com in the states
that said, i find very little use for cutting acrylic and the like as we mainly use composite boards, correx and foamex at a push. we have an excaliber for the pvc boards and a 3m wide electric foot operated guilotine. we bought the guilotine about 8 years ago and it really has been a brilliant investment.
we bought it second hand and it has only needed its blade sharpened once in the whole time. which was about £200. other than that, zero maintenance.
to say it speeds up production is an understatement, cuts sheets of mild steel, stainless steel, composite board etc etc like butter, in a split second.

anyway... a few grand will get you a 3m second hand one, a few hundred quid will get you a non-electric foot operated one about 4-6ft ....
<<

Paul Humble

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:43 am

Peter Normington wrote:
Paul Humble wrote:Mark Jahn is right, up here in Gods country I can buy an embroidered Polo for less than I can buy and print one for.

Paul
The car idea was Phill's so he deserves the credit, for that.
It may bring in revenue by advertising, but I cant see it as an investment
for a business in todays climate. Unless you buy for a ridiculously low price, you could, and probably will loose money,

Sorry to wake you up Phill,
but you had a customer Knocking at your door.

Peter

In my defence I was very, VERY drunk when I typed it! lol
<<

Martin Oxenham

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Stop all this bickering and stress, It would be a lot easier if you just give it to me !
<<

Ian Jenkin

2 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:39 pm

we have most machinery/equipment out there, but we lack an engraving machine, and i think its worth anyones money to get one.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:05 pm

not knocking it in anyway, but we have had a router engraver for about 7 years now and i body swerve engraving unless dealing with a very good existing customer. and that's just to keep them happy... other than that ill not bother with the engraving work as i dont find it too competitive and time consuming a process. not to mentioning having to stock the various engraving substrates.

Return to General Sign Topics