my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Pricing Software...

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:37 am

Pricing Software...

I'm looking into software to quote with and manage production. All seems to be American. Anyone know of any UK companies providing such software and reviews of them?
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:47 am

Re: Pricing Software...

James Culpin wrote:I'm looking into software to quote with and manage production. All seems to be American. Anyone know of any UK companies providing such software and reviews of them?

I cannot understand why you would need pricing software?
Business has to many variables to be pigeonholed into a certain 'price'
part of being a businessman is knowing your competitors prices and knowing your own businesses outgoings and incomings, if you need pricing software you really should not be working yourself but for someone else. It's a simple method-logical equation.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:52 am

I think perhaps James requires software that allows him to input sizes and then produce a costed list of materials which is then marked up to get a base figure - thats sound business (knowing your costs accurately on a job).

In my case (being a web developer as well) I simply knocked one up, but I believe that there are several modules for well known crm's out there that will do the job.

You may find what you need under Google with 'estimate' as a keyword at a guess.

Oo
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:56 am

Owen Lees wrote:I think perhaps James requires software that allows him to input sizes and then produce a costed list of materials which is then marked up to get a base figure - thats sound business (knowing your costs accurately on a job).

That's totally irrelevant? does such software have regional differential pricing? If you need pricing software, you should be working for someone else, period
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:10 am

With respect - it doesn't need to have any regional in international elements at all.

Estimations can be made easier when you know accurately how much all your materials cost, its then easier to know what you can make when you markup.

I work for myself and have found that accurately tracking my costs on jobs to be the difference between knowing what the business is doing and guessing.

If you ignore sound business practices like cost tracking and sweep them to one side as being unnecessary - perhaps you should be working for someone else.

I am only trying to offer a less inflammatory opinion of what was in my opinion a reasonable question when applied to business, James may in fact be attempting to break into self employment - how about giving him a break and perhaps helping eh?

Oo
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:26 am

Owen Lees wrote:With respect - it doesn't need to have any regional in international elements at all.

Estimations can be made easier when you know accurately how much all your materials cost, its then easier to know what you can make when you markup.

I work for myself and have found that accurately tracking my costs on jobs to be the difference between knowing what the business is doing and guessing.

If you ignore sound business practices like cost tracking and sweep them to one side as being unnecessary - perhaps you should be working for someone else.

I am only trying to offer a less inflammatory opinion of what was in my opinion a reasonable question when applied to business, James may in fact be attempting to break into self employment - how about giving him a break and perhaps helping eh?

Oo

Regional- yes it does, because I can charge more in Westminster than will be paid in Tower Hamlets

Estimations- I know exactly what the materials cost, and as they fluctuate monthly software will not work.

I work for myself- I know exactly how the business is doing because I actually 'talk' to my suppliers before I quote, this strange concept enables me to make something named profit?

If i ignore your sound bull- how long have you been peddling useless pricing software which doesn't take into consideration (a) regional pricing (b) business overheads (c) discount from suppliers (d) regional business rates
(e) rent and everything else I could list

I am only- I am only saying if he doesn't understand how to price for a business he will not find it with any pricing software, did my grandfather use software to price his goods in the 1930's? no he didn't and it has zero use into todays market either. It's part and parcel of being a businessman
if you cant understand how 'profit' works, work for someone else.
Last edited by Ali Osman on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:35 am

have to agree with Ali's points here.

Lynn
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:37 am

Ali,

Why are you using a computer - your Grandfather didn't in the 1930's, likewise he never had a mobile phone - it's called technology and times move on.

This is a friendly place, please try and keep your replies friendly, everyone is entitled to their opinion, no need to get all stroppy!

Shane Drew on these boards is a one-man-band using Estimate software, no doubt he will give a good case for the product.

Respect other peoples opinions, otherwise your just not going to get on around here!

Chris.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:40 am

I think Ali should get honourary UKSG status!

I agree that the way he puts the point across is aggressive but the points on regional variants is bang on.
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:43 am

Chris Dowd wrote:Ali,

Why are you using a computer - your Grandfather didn't in the 1930's, likewise he never had a mobile phone - it's called technology and times move on.

This is a friendly place, please try and keep your replies friendly, everyone is entitled to their opinion, no need to get all stroppy!

Shane Drew on these boards is a one-man-band using Estimate software, no doubt he will give a good case for the product.

Respect other peoples opinions, otherwise your just not going to get on around here!

Chris.

Business has always been the same - Buy - Sell - Profit
if you need software to set the price at point of sale that you need to cover your outgoings and profit then you really do not understand the concept of business
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:52 am

Most large companies use software to price jobs and to manage production costs, but like all software
crap in = crap out.
Sofftware allows you to save time, even on a daily basis the variables can be input. so estimating software can be very cost effective,

Mr Dowd does indeed understand the concept of business,
that is nothing to do with using software to help make your life easier, ask Mr Gates :D

Ali I see your point, but opinions do vary, ones mans meat is another mans poison

Peter
Last edited by Peter Normington on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:53 am

Your missing the point to my post Ali, which was respect other peoples point of view too!

Okay, you mention you know your competitors prices - I don't and I don't want to neither, I don't sell on price, never have done, never will do.

You mention discounts from your suppliers - I don't pass those on, that's my gain, more profit for me at the end of the day!

You mention you talk to your suppliers before you quote - we handle a huge volume of quotes daily, if we spoke to our suppliers before we quoted, we might as well have a direct line!

And no we don't use Estimate software, we did purchase it, played around with it, but never used it. We do have a price list though, which we stick to.
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am

Chris Dowd wrote:- we handle a huge volume of quotes daily, if we spoke to our suppliers before we quoted, we might as well have a direct line!

Well indeed so do we all, but we know exactly what is paid for the stock that's physically available for use and we actually do have a direct line, not a direct line as such, our main supplier telephones us everyday at 4pm for our daily order.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:33 am

Ali Osman wrote:
Chris Dowd wrote:- we handle a huge volume of quotes daily, if we spoke to our suppliers before we quoted, we might as well have a direct line!

Well indeed so do we all, but we know exactly what is paid for the stock that's physically available for use and we actually do have a direct line, not a direct line as such, our main supplier telephones us everyday at 4pm for our daily order.

Naughty Naughty Ali

little edits do make a diference :wink: I do know what I pay for my
stock, and I would not want my suppliers to vary it on a daily basis nor would I vary what I charge on a day to day basis as you are implying that we should

Peter

Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:29 am

Have you actually looked at any pricing software Ali?

I'll admit I don't use it but, as I understand the way they work, you initially input all the costs relevant to your own business, including raw material prices, your own overheads, wage costs, and lots of individual information. The software will then turn out prices that are relevant to your business alone.

Therefore regional variations are indeed taken into account. In fact it's even more tightly focussed than that because, depending on the parameters you initially input, the result you get will differ from the signmaker next door if his costs and overheads are different to yours.

I think that talking to your suppliers every day is ridiculous. We negotiate with them and obtain the best deal we can, then that price stays fixed until the next review. We must have a reliable and repeatable pricing structure.

I certainly don't want my suppliers ringing me for orders because they always do it at an inconvenient time. I will contact them when I want something, not the other way round. I also don't want to place orders over the phone. We always fax them so that, if there is a dispute, we have in writing exactly what we ordered, and not somebody's vague recollection of a misunderstood phone conversation.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:32 am

Ali,

I have been in business many years, and I've used 'Estimate' software for the last few years.

Yes you do need to know your regional prices, what you can charge and what not, but that is only half the story.

The best part of Estimate software is that it takes the emotion out of your quoting, but with the ability to over-ride the price if you wish.

Setting up the software, you tell it all your costs, and the hourly rate you want to achieve, bearing in mind, most businesses only work 5 chargeable hours out of 8..

The software then comes back, with the ideal charge based on your 'needs' to make a reasonable profit. End of the day, we all want to make a reasonable profit.

Accounting for fluctuating prices on a weekly or monthly basis is just madness. It must be difficult and time consuming to have that burden. I have a contract buy rate for all my products, but work my prices out on the standard price list rate from my suppliers.

If the supplier puts up prices, as they do, every 6 months or so, say by 5%, all I do is tell the software the price increase for that supplier, and the prices are changed automatically, leaving my mind free to think of more important things..

At any time I can tweak the end price though.

But the software will tell you if its worth doing, if you are making a reasonable profit, or if you are losing money. You don't have to worry about forgetting something in the equation, because the system has taken that over.

Once you have tweaked the system, you can be confident that your pricing will be consistant, and that is the key. Consistancy.

At the press of a key stroke you can change materials, suppliers and profit margins to work out the best material/price for the jobs quote.

It is not designed to get the cheapest possible price, nor should it be. Price based quoting is dooming your business to low margins. That does not interest me.

Whilst I still work out quotes in my head on the fly, I still rely on my software to confirm my calculations.

My software also produces work sheets, order lists, packing lists and invoicing of the one data, saving me endless computer entries. It assigns each job a number, that helps workflow.

Its not just an spreadsheet in that sense.

In the last year, I've been asked to match my opposition on a few jobs, and I've been tempted, but the software shows me that the job will have very low margins. It lets me make the decision whether I do it or not, but at least I'm informed, based on all my expenses, and the margin I really want.

To say anyone needing, or using estimation software, is a sign they are poor business operators is insulting. With all due respect Ali, to think you have all the answers is naive.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:46 am

Pricing

Have read the comments with interest ... We do use estimate software and have found it very effective, as Shane mentioned it takes away the emotion I often price a job with the softwear and think that it is too dear, but still put that price in and 9 times out of 10 get the job.

The biggest advantage we have found is that any of the staff can now quote for jobs over the phone if I am not in the office. Our accountant has confirmed that our profit levels are much better since we installed the softwear, but as Peter said , it all depends on what information you put in as to what you get out. I tend to review the prices of materials every 6 months and any special offers from suppliers are not put in which is more profit to us.
Not everyones cup of tea I know but we would not be without it
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:57 am

Peter Normington wrote:
Ali Osman wrote:

Naughty Naughty Ali

little edits do make a diference :wink: I do know what I pay for my
stock, and I would not want my suppliers to vary it on a daily basis nor would I vary what I charge on a day to day basis as you are implying that we should

Peter

Peter

I did pick up on that little edit last night also Peter, however, I searched back through all of Ali's 19 posts to find the majority made insulting comments or that he knew better than all the rest of us on here and when asked wouldn't come back with any support, so I chose to ignore it and go to bed instead!!

I counted at least 4 regular members from 13 topics who bit back, looks like someone who's only here to 'take' from the boards and not give back in return.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:02 am

I can well see the point of estimating software for the businesses who may have non signmaking staff doing the pricing or sell a given item at a fixed price but I'm not so sure of its effectiveness for small/self employed signmakers who through experience can look at a van/job and 'estimate' the price for the lettering and only need to look up the supplier price. I can see at some point anything you would gain in using software being lost in the time and cost of using it.
It is not something I would consider as being worth while.
Alan D
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:04 am

Ali Osman wrote:If i ignore your sound bull- how long have you been peddling useless pricing software which doesn't take into consideration (a) regional pricing (b) business overheads (c) discount from suppliers (d) regional business rates
(e) rent and everything else I could list

Wooooooah!!

I have NOT been 'peddling' anything, I have not attempted to sell anything and I absolutely resent the implication that I have.

I am simply giving an alternative view which is that it IS possible to (even with a simple xl spreadsheet) keep a track on costs including anything you want to include.

Some of us PREFER to use software as a business tool, why slander me for that?

I have just read through the next 10 odd posts here and am somewhat relieved that the majority of the users do see the point that its possible to get costs under control with software (even if its not used due to unwieldy interfaces and the usual clunkiness of such applications) and that its not bad business to actually do this.

I was starting to think that I had missed the point of the post.

Oo
Last edited by Owen Lees on Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:12 am

Although we adapted a XL spreadsheet at Jan 08, it did make a difference to undercosting jobs and we did see a difference in profit at the end of last year, so I just point out that automated systems do work quite well if you have a number of pricing staff that do not take into account suppliers pricing often.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:22 am

James, try Touch Systems Clarity Professional, I have been using it for 6 years now and it is brilliant, a real time saver and you have all your figures at the touch of a key, profit on each job, turnover, job material list, quoting letter, invoicing etc etc.

Despite what Ali says it is a tremendous help to any business and is used by Signs Express franchises throughout the country.

Cheers

Dave
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:23 am

Why all the argumentative replies. James just wants to know if their are any estimating systems that he could use to run his business. Isn't it upto him how he does it.
James we use Clarity for our Business and find it simple to use and very accurate with a good technical back up service offered If you want to check them out go to www.claritypro.com Tel 0121 248 2448.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:29 am

I stopped short of naming names as I thought it wasn't allowed.

I have seen Clarity in action and was impressed with it, it does do what you need and the support staff are responsive to requests.

Oo
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:00 am

I use http://www.estimatesoftware.com/ and swear by it.

As has been said, my accountant also indicated that my profit margins have increased and attributes this to the software.

The difference to doing this manually was demonstrated to me when I trialled the software.

I priced a job manually, in my head, and thru the software. The price came out within $2 of each other. I was competitive because my opposition was charging in the same price vicinity as me.

The software however pointed out my profit margin was less than 15%, way below what I need or want, to make a reasonable profit. One mistake resulting in redoing the sign and I was losing money.

I advised the client that I couldn't do the job at that price anymore, so they went with my opposition.

Talking to my opposition the other day, he tells me he's getting a stack of work, but his business is going nowhere, and he can't understand why.

I was going to tell him, but thought I'd keep it my secret.

Thing is, I replaced that contract with another, that takes the same amount of time, but my profit margins are so much better. So my time is better used, and my margins make it worthwhile.

Point is, before I got the software, I thought I was doing OK. I was of course making money, albeit slowly. With the software, I discovered I could make better money doing different work.

The investment paid off in months.

I think its wrong to think we don't need assistance in streamlining our business. If it makes us work smarter, it can't be a bad thing..
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:23 pm

Well, I seem to of started something with that question.
Thank you, all, for your comments and feedback. Also the recommended software.
Ali, you should probably know that I do in fact work for someone else (and myself). I have been brought in to develop a business and having used the software we all speak of at my last employment (a large franchise) I think, sorry I know that I can develop this company with such a tool.
I need not say much more as it all seems to of been said, each to their own though really. These software programs are so much more than just a price generator and have proved their worth. They do account for everything as long as you set them up right.
I had only minor issues with the one I've used. Want to try a UK company this time round, makes customer support easier and helps to turn things around quicker. After all, less time spent shuffling paper more time on production of goods, customer service and sales. The things that make the business.
Thank you all again.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:59 am

Good luck with everything James. Threads like these may seem to go off track but they do serve a purpose. I trialled Clarity today and think its a great piece of kit that I could use for day to day work. I would never have heard of it had it not been for this thread.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:55 am

If you like Clarity, another one to consider would be http://www.kim.net.au/

Its written by John Hadfield, a long time and well established signwriter here. I think he is exporting, or about to export, overseas too.

Both KIM and Clarity are way more expensive than I wanted to pay, thats why Estimate was more attractive to me. Its also writen by a signwriter, for signwriters, so it sees things from our perspective, rather than being a 'vanilla sales tool' adapted to our industry.

Hope it works out anyway mate
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:00 am

Shane, Im at home and never actually found out the cost of Clarity, do you know?

Ill also try KIM before I decide.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:49 am

Paul Humble wrote:Shane, Im at home and never actually found out the cost of Clarity, do you know?

Ill also try KIM before I decide.

Clarity Pro is £500 + £20/month support or £40/month rental

With Estimate, you have a one off purchase price , and the support is charged per problem or a contract rate if you wish,. I've only had to contact them twice in 3 years tho, as its very easy to use. They were software bugs, so were a no charge anyway.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:59 pm

I trialled Clarity but found that so many things weren't correct and couldn't be fixed without "support", I decided against it.
For instance - address for window envelope in the wrong place but couldn't be moved.
Footer chopped off by bottom margin but resetting the margin height made no difference.
Logo placement was so critical on size and siting I just couldn't get it right.
Yes, I would liked to have used this program as it's neat and nearly does what it's meant to but at the price it just wasn't good enough straight out of the box.
Like a lot of companies they rely on the support income and will leave you to rot if you don't pay for it, even though it might be a program glitch rather than a user problem.
I now use Quotewerks which is far cheaper, has more development behind it and forum support. A bit old fashioned looking and not as neat as Clarity but wholly adaptable and configurable by the user.
It also links directly to Outlook, Sage and Quickbooks so all my invoices are placed in Quickbooks at the click of the mouse.
The Pro version (links to Outlook etc) is about £130.
http://www.quotewerks.com/
<<

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: Pricing Software...

hi ali
having looked at some of your comments on pricing, then your profile, i see you are in fact an employee and job role tech director/graphic designer???

by your own comments, obviously YOU don't need software to help calculate general pricing of signage. but what about others within the company? how do you all keep consistant? how will your boss's company move forward if it grows?

your comments on geographical location etc fair enough... but pricing software doesn't come with the prices preloaded to suit the whole UK. you enter YOUR prices, your margins, your hourly rate etc etc once this is done anyone within the work place should be able to quickly and accurately come up with the same quotes or as near as... or am i missing the obvious?
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:36 pm

I think as usual there are different schools of thought r.e. pricing software and it usually depends upon the individual and the way they work, the size of the company etc.

There are just two of us in our operation, bringing in other help when necessary, I don't feel the need for pricing software, most of the work we do seems to be fairly simple to estimate from experience and the monthly profit/loss or whatever tells you if you're doing OK.

I did formulate a pricing guide in excel once over, fixed costs, labour, fixed materials, running materials etc. etc. but it was just an exercise in the end, did not do anything to assist really.

Can see how it would help shop employees to price basic stuff but to let them use it on say, a specialist wrap, I mean c'mon would you give them the responsibility of typing in your design hours?......

Ian :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:36 am

Ian Muir wrote:Can see how it would help shop employees to price basic stuff but to let them use it on say, a specialist wrap, I mean c'mon would you give them the responsibility of typing in your design hours?......

Hi Ian.

No I wouldn't give them that responsibility. Nor would I let an employee give a price for a one hundred van job. The risks of both are too great.

However, what software will do is to let them calculate a price, which they can then pass to me so that I can use my experience to make the final decision on whether we go with the software price, or make adjustments one way or the other. It saves me time.

The beauty of that is that I don't even have to be there. If I'm out visiting clients that day, or even laying on a beach, they can just email a drawing and price to my iPhone and I can give the final approval in a matter of minutes.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:10 am

That's exactly what I mean and said John, it's fine for some methods of operation.

Even when I used to have quite a big turnover in the past (I've recently returned to this Country and set up again in signs) I used to tell my main clients when I would not be available and any other work that came in during my absence could either wait or be attacked by others....

Presently my business falls into 'a way of life' attitude rather than City Suit stuff although that might have to change somewhat in the near future cos it looks like I'm getting a few big contracts soon.

So for now it's a 'the American and the fisherman scenario' without undue business tools to help me....

The American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.
The fisherman replied, only a little while.

The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs.

The American then asked, "but what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

To which the American replied, "15-20 years." "But what then?"

The American laughed and said that's the best part. "When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions.. Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

Ian :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi Guys,
found this thread very interesting, and think that we fall into the busy fool category, never thought about using this kind of software before I have looked at all the web pages of the different programs and have been speaking with the suppliers and due to our language requirements (i.e. dual language) have just installed a demo of estimate 2 and must say find it very interesting and have readjusted two jobs margins all ready!!

Thanks guys very interesting thread!!

Will let you know how I get on after 30 days!!
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:01 pm

This has turned into an interesting thread.
For those of you currently test running the different software, do the trial versions come with full options so you can test out all parts of the system?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:18 pm

Ive just spoken to the guy from Clarity and told him that Clarity Pro was too expensive and complex for what I needed and although I think it is a very professional looking piece of software I couldnt justify £500 initial purchase.

He told me about Clarity Lite for half the price, sent me detail and is going to do a free half hour online tutorial with me on Monday.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:38 pm

estimate 2 appears to, but it is very early days and I am just inputting our hourly rates, prices margins etc. Get in touch with them if you are interested, every company i spoke too offered a demo or trial.

Estimate 2 is the best for us as it has plugins for all of our services, embroidery, screen printing, signs, vehicles, wraps, large format prints etc etc.

as I get further into it i will update my progress or perhaps shane might like to comment as he has been using it.

Dan
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri May 01, 2009 4:33 pm

Thought I would bring this topic back to life with some good news, Clarity have just released in the last hour a "Clarity Free Edition" to download from (oh i swore !)'nternet http://www.claritypro.co.uk/free

You can also download a free basic edition of Shane's Estimate software from here http://estimatesoftware.net/estimating_ ... ick_quoter

I'm gonna try them both out as I'm planning to slowly start doing signage but want to get my pricing right from day one, I hate guestimating cause its always in the customers favour :roll:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu May 07, 2009 3:42 pm

clarity estimating

Mark Latchford wrote:Why all the argumentative replies. James just wants to know if their are any estimating systems that he could use to run his business. Isn't it upto him how he does it.
James we use Clarity for our Business and find it simple to use and very accurate with a good technical back up service offered If you want to check them out go to www.claritypro.com Tel 0121 248 2448.

we have just bought Clarity and are having some difficulty with the pricing modules having previously used our own spreadsheets- would really like to talk to someone who is using it
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu May 07, 2009 9:15 pm

I have never thought if using pricing software but thought id give the free Clarity a trial, I just cant seem to find out how to create a quote for any one product with labour or the ability to add any other item to one quote? am I missing something or is each item supposed to be a separate quote?

Nigel
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri May 08, 2009 9:10 am

Clarity

Nigel Hindley wrote:I have never thought if using pricing software but thought id give the free Clarity a trial, I just cant seem to find out how to create a quote for any one product with labour or the ability to add any other item to one quote? am I missing something or is each item supposed to be a separate quote?

Nigel

Hi Nigel
If you click on the price list tab at the top and go to internal prices then click on categories and then click on new categories then type in Labour.
Labour will then appear in the drop down menu on the side.
Then click on new along the top bar and Add new part appears, In the boxes just type in Labour twice then close and open Edit Prices.
In the pack quantity area type in 1 if you want to charge per minute.If you want to charge £1.00 per minute go to the Price breaks and type in £1.00 in both the cost and sale price areas. Then if you want to drop your price after say 100minutes to 90p alter the price break figures on the lefthand side to 101 then in the next column put the figure you want to keep at 90p per minute and then press ok when the next window comes up. You can have as many price breaks as you want and at any quantity.
If you need nany more help give me a call 01242 584588 or call Clarity
and they will go thro it with you as it is a trial version and they want to sell the system on 0121 248 2448
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri May 08, 2009 9:31 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. I will give that a try later and if I have any further problems will try Clarity. The product looks great and seems to be quite comprehensive so if it works will certainly upgrade and try the paid for version.

Thanks again Mark,

Nigel
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri May 08, 2009 9:33 am

- Mark do you know if this program can be networked to a few other computers or do all the quotes and info remain on one comp and not accessed from anywhere else?
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri May 08, 2009 10:47 am

Clarity

Nigel Hindley wrote:- Mark do you know if this program can be networked to a few other computers or do all the quotes and info remain on one comp and not accessed from anywhere else?

Yes it can be networked with other computers but you have to have a license for each computer. You can have the one license with different users on 1 computer where only that person can access his or her own quotes if you want. The way we use it is just for quotes and invoices and then with it being compatible with sage we can post all the invoices to Sage and do our monthly statements from there and keep all the other accounts within the Sage program
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri May 08, 2009 11:07 am

Brilliant - Cheers Mark
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:06 am

We have 3 different customer groups: trade, retail and contract. The trade and retail prices are set but the contract customers are all paying different prices based on volume.

Is there a pricing software to accommodate our needs?
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Lee,
Clarity will do this. As well as customizing the pre set pricing systems you can add in your own. Simply put.....
You can put tabs in under your own heading ie Trade,
within that you can list the products at the set 'Trade' price. When a trade customer wants something you can go into 'Trade' and just select item/s
The other way to do it is to set up a 'Trade Customer' a 'Retail Customer' and a 'Contract Customer' in the 'contact group' drop down that clarity has for all contacts.
For each of the above types you can then set each customer to the given terms and if so wish what disscount they get. This will then automatically apply to any quote you do for them based on your normal pricing.
Hope that all makes sense.
In short.........Clarity can do what your looking for.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:16 am

Neil Speirs wrote:Thought I would bring this topic back to life with some good news, Clarity have just released in the last hour a "Clarity Free Edition" to download from (oh i swore !)'nternet http://www.claritypro.co.uk/free

You can also download a free basic edition of Shane's Estimate software from here http://estimatesoftware.net/estimating_ ... ick_quoter

I'm gonna try them both out as I'm planning to slowly start doing signage but want to get my pricing right from day one, I hate guestimating cause its always in the customers favour :roll:

Hi Neil,
How did you get on with the comparison of the two products please?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:37 am

Just jumping in on the thread.

I've been using Estimate for about three years now and I love it. You do have to be careful and make sure your worksheet for overhead is right so your hourly rates get done properly.

I think it's a no brainer IMO I can do a price on a large sign either printed or painted with a mixture of substrates and either vinyl or 3d in about five minutes, including install, hire and fixings and have it emailed off to the client. With the option to let them know every charge or not.

It's not perfect, but I use it every day and I can go back nearly three years and pick out an individual quote in about 10 seconds if I have to.

The sliding scales it has are also brill.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:36 pm

I thought perhaps it was time i left another post after starting this thread and some what of an argument/debate over this type of software.
Since my original post i have recently bought clarity. I've done two training days and a so far I'm impressed.
I'm currently going through the process of setting the software set up. Inputting customers and suppliers. Setting up prices etc etc. This seems to be the hard part and a little frustrating but I have every confidence it will be well worth it.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone else having just done this or doing this to see how your finding it.
James

Return to General Sign Topics