my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Which mobile phone ?

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:10 pm

Which mobile phone ?

OK boring thread I know, but I'd really appreciate some help. . . My mobile contract is up for renewal, I'm currently with O2 Business and get a really good deal ! I'm happy to stay with O2 and they obviously want my business and have basically said I'm due an upgrade. . . I can pretty much have anything I like including the iphone. .etc

what should I get ? ?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:37 pm

iphone

no question about it (even better if you already run a mac)
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:52 pm

iphone or a blackberry are serious contenders.

I can't wait 'til my contracts are up and I can throw my Veiwty phones away.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:45 pm

i use my blackberry for so much, email, web browsing, music etc, really does everything I need, Iphones are also excellent but I reckon they dont look as good a few months in ie: screens scuffed etc. Check out the new blackberry bold, if you are a small business and want to collect your emails you can do so when up a ladder or scaffold! and clients are none the wiser!

Im on 750 minutes, unltd texts, free broadband for £35 per month with orange on an 18 mnth contract.

cheers
graeme
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:56 pm

Warren Beard wrote:iphone

no question about it (even better if you already run a mac)

Spot on Warren.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:20 pm

Dave, keep your old phone, just put the upograde cost into thousands of free minutes, unless you just want a toy/gadjet

Peter
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:40 pm

I upgraded a couple of months ago, got o2 to give me their best deal, then called vodafone who were falling over themselves to better what 02 had offered, then call to cancel the O2 contract, you then get through to the cancellation dept. who seem to be able much better deals than the regular sales guys, for half an hour on the phone, I got a much better phone and saved £40 a month on our two phones.

I went for the Blackberry and it is my new best friend, I have so much more freedom having the e mails come through to the phone, and my customer service is then much better as I can respond faster even if it is just to say I got their message and will get back to them when I am back in the office!

Katie
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:51 pm

I am with Peter, fed up with all those gadgety phones. Have just binned my N95 8GB. I want a phone for phone calls, not the internet, email, music, pictures, navigation etc. And I want a battery that lasts more than a few hours. Have just got a Nokia 6500 classic. Thin, light, decent battery life & bluetooth for the car is all I need. :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:36 pm

I looked at the Blackberry but I couldn't justify the expense here. Went to the Nokia E71. Brilliant phone and I'd be lost without it now. The PDA keeps my appointments, the emails and texts are a breeze with the qwerty keyboard, and it was on a plan half the price of the cheapest blackberry.

I don't use the gps, but all the other features are easy to use. The camera is crap though.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:21 pm

iPhone is a must if you usually work out of your office.

I've loaded even all catalogs and prices guides in pdf.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:47 pm

i have windows phones... love it :D
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:59 pm

I have the N95 - don't use all the gadgets but do make good use of the Camera - Had N71 before that which was an earlier model
8GB memory too..
The bluetooth automatically sync's with my pc and also in the car and van for hands free

Ade
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:23 pm

DONT get one of those new Samsung screen phones...Ive got one and it is RUBBISH and I HATE using it.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:07 pm

I popped into a certain Large chain store which resides in 'warehouses' and enquired about a Blackberry and an IPhone (not that there was going to be much competition as I have a Mac) and the sales guy was very intent on telling me that if I had business email on a Blackberry then I would probably be cut off!

Obviously that's cobblers but what a thing to say!

I like the IPhone, would agree the screen can get scratched if you dont have a case but if you are anything like me you'll abuse it anyway and use it as a tool rather than a pretty thing :)

Cheers

Oo
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Obama is adamant that he will keep his Blackberry when he is sworn in,

Peter
<<

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:07 pm

ive got the new blackberry pearl... had the pearl nearly two years now...
had the first one but it had issues... was going to change as a result but they updated it to this one.
i really couldnt do without it...
has a great address book format and easy searched.
text/emails on it are so quick and easy and thats coming from someone that 10 minutes to text, "just call me" :lol1:
emails are great... i have 3 different email accounts and the phone gets the mail from them all... opens pdfs. word docs, jpg files etc in its own format and you can zoom read, scroll etc
it does the whole internet thing too but like has been said, i prefer to keep it as a contact tool rather than a gadget.
that said, ive been out on site, needed graphics done quick, took a picture with the phone, emailed it to andrew and by the time i have got back to the work he has digitised it and produced it in vinyl or print ready for me to jump back in the van and return to the job. :D

i really like the iphone, but i dont like how big and heavy it is in comparison to my phone. i also prefer to click buttons than touch screen.

the blackberry pearl feels like a proper small mobile phone with all the business tools i could need with it.

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Cheryl Smith wrote:DONT get one of those new Samsung screen phones...Ive got one and it is RUBBISH and I HATE using it.

I had the Samsung Tocco F480 and had to send it back twice and was still absolute rubbish, pawned it off on the wife when her contract expired and got myself an iphone, best move ever.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:53 pm

I'm Mac crazy, bought an iphone for my wife, not overly impressed, so much so that I did what Peter suggested, I have a Nokia 8910i (which is still cool, titanium/powerslide) no camera, I just re-negotiated a new contract and then bought a Blackberry 8820 and pay just £9.00 a month for all my emails, very good.

Jason
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:04 am

Ive got a Blackberry Pearl like Rob and its fantastic!! Only downside is that you never actually get any time off work (emails at 3am anyone).

Viewtys are........................well, lets just say unreliable, it was my last phone and I paid to upgrade mid contract.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:33 am

I don't doubt that the Blackberry is a decent bit of kit. But. like on my desktop, I crave screen area, so there is no choice but iPhone.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:05 am

Warren Beard wrote:
Cheryl Smith wrote:DONT get one of those new Samsung screen phones...Ive got one and it is RUBBISH and I HATE using it.

I had the Samsung Tocco F480 and had to send it back twice and was still absolute rubbish, pawned it off on the wife when her contract expired and got myself an iphone, best move ever.

yeh thats the one ive got and it is absolute crap crap crap....Dont whatever you do touch one of these EVER
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:25 pm

has anyone got or tried an LG Cookie? just now its a phone in my price range :D

nik
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Ive got the HTC TyTn-II through Orange. Amazing phone, touch screen, hidden keyboard (never used) handwriting recognition, MS Word and Excel. Did exactly what I wanted.....converge my PDA with the phone. Will definitely but another when I upgrade in 5 months time!!!

They now do a ruggadised version on a business contract!!!
Last edited by Graeme Harrold on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:11 pm

Ive just upgraded to this one. the previous one needed to be fixed in the boot, but it's really cool to be able to carry it around!

Peter
Attachments
motorola-bag-phone.jpg
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:20 pm

im still on the Trion or TyTn

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Peter Normington wrote:Ive just upgraded to this one. the previous one needed to be fixed in the boot, but it's really cool to be able to carry it around!

Peter

I've still got one of those in the loft Peter, along with a BT Coral (one of the first hand portables the size of a house brick and almost the same colour).
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:39 pm

Dave Rowland wrote:im still on the Trion or TyTn

Thats the one I have (slightly older one)........how are you finding it Dave.

HTC used to manufacture unbranded phones for the networks, then decided to break free and launch their own "label". The orange SPV was theirs too.......
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Chris Dowd wrote:
Peter Normington wrote:Ive just upgraded to this one. the previous one needed to be fixed in the boot, but it's really cool to be able to carry it around!

Peter

I've still got one of those in the loft Peter, along with a BT Coral (one of the first hand portables the size of a house brick and almost the same colour).

I think it was '86 or '87 when i got my first hand held phone, it was an nec, and although the same size as the brick, looked smaller, It cost £1100! (company financed not me) but it actually saved me a lot of work,
it was bought so I could be contacted out of hours for emergencies, but the phones were status symbols, and my assistant was more than willing to take on the 24 hour calls, just so he could pose with the phone!

how time changes, sorry to be a bit off topic

Peter
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:52 am

handset lasted a good year.... at home i use it with the external car antenna which is in the roof of the house to get a signal on orange, yes its an o2 upgrade to orange, the messenging services isn't great as its slightly incompatible but i have good O/S on it, not the newest but last years o/s.

its all linked up to our exchange server, working a treat.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:03 pm

Like Shane im looking at the Nokia E71, anyone else got one/got any comments about them?

John
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:54 pm

John Childs wrote:I don't doubt that the Blackberry is a decent bit of kit. But. like on my desktop, I crave screen area, so there is no choice but iPhone.

Maybe a bit off topic but I cover my screen with clear vinyl to protect it from scratches.......

Maybe I need some more work......... :oops:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:04 am

Matt Goodwin wrote:
John Childs wrote:I don't doubt that the Blackberry is a decent bit of kit. But. like on my desktop, I crave screen area, so there is no choice but iPhone.

Maybe a bit off topic but I cover my screen with clear vinyl to protect it from scratches.......

Maybe I need some more work......... :oops:

i actually bought a cheap 99p screen protector, pretty much a very light tack but thick clear vinyl
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:05 pm

Had the E71 now for around a month, its one of the best phones I have had, its easy to use and full of use full stuff, Nokia I maps works well and so to the email and fast internet
Rich
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:47 pm

I picked up a Samsung Instinct touch phone a few months ago, its fancy and all, but really a pain to use. Commonly running into ghost calls (touch screen+being in a pocket=phone calls placed :o ) or freezing issues once in a blue moon. Definately not a business phone for sure

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat